Brewer Fanatic

Estimates on arby raises? Anyone?

Roderick
monty57 wrote:

Since Hardy was around $2.5MM this year, I'd expect Hart to be in the $2-3MM range. In his first year, Hardy was also coming off an All-Star season, put up better overall numbers than Hart and plays a tougher position. Hart's 22HR, 86 RBI, .280 batting average aren't that great of two-year averages for a RF. The 23 SB's each year will help him. I'd think he'd be paid less than Hardy made this year.

Makes sense. Tack on baseball inflation to Hardy's $2.65M voluntarily signed first year in arby, would put Hart around $2.9M.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monty57 wrote:

Since Hardy was around $2.5MM this year, I'd expect Hart to be in the $2-3MM range. In his first year, Hardy was also coming off an All-Star season, put up better overall numbers than Hart and plays a tougher position. Hart's 22HR, 86 RBI, .280 batting average aren't that great of two-year averages for a RF. The 23 SB's each year will help him. I'd think he'd be paid less than Hardy made this year.

Makes sense. Tack on baseball inflation to Hardy's $2.65M voluntarily signed first year in arby, would put Hart around $2.9M.

Roderick, I think the Howard card will definitely be played, but Howard had won the Rookie of the Year award and was coming off a season in which he had just won the MVP. I believe that these awards (whether right or wrong) play a somewhat significant role in what the player is paid. I believe arbitrators look at two year averages and HR, RBI & batting average hold a lot of clout:

Howard 2006/2007 averages (hit arby year one in 2008)

HR 52.5, RBI 142.5, avg .292

Prince

HR 42, RBI 110, avg. .282

Prince's numbers are very good, but he would probably have had to repeat his 2007 numbers to be considered in Howard's category using only these stats. Now, Howard is older than Prince, and is in his prime years putting up these numbers while Prince is doing it at a very young age, but I don't believe age is considered in arby.

I've heard a number of players and GMs say that they hate going to arby, because basically the team has to rip into all of the bad things about the player. That's why most players come to a one-year deal before arby. As I said earlier, I think Prince is likely to go to arby, and I think it will be ugly. If he was upset about his contract last year, I think he's going to be furious after he has to sit in and listen to Melvin tell him he's getting too fat to play 1B and discuss his terrible defense and the dropoff in his numbers from 2007 to 2008.

The best-case scenario is that they sign a deal before it comes to arby

The probable (in my mind) scenario is they go to arby and Prince ends up somewhere around $7MM

The worst case scenario is they go to arby and Prince comes out demanding a trade. With his personality I think this could happen.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Roderick, I think the Howard card will definitely be played, but Howard had won the Rookie of the Year award and was coming off a season in which he had just won the MVP. I believe that these awards (whether right or wrong) play a somewhat significant role in what the player is paid. I believe arbitrators look at two year averages and HR, RBI & batting average hold a lot of clout:

Prince

Prince's numbers are very good, but he would probably have had to repeat his 2007 numbers to be considered in Howard's category using only these stats. Now, Howard is older than Prince, and is in his prime years putting up these numbers while Prince is doing it at a very young age, but I don't believe age is considered in arby.

I've heard a number of players and GMs say that they hate going to arby, because basically the team has to rip into all of the bad things about the player. That's why most players come to a one-year deal before arby. As I said earlier, I think Prince is likely to go to arby, and I think it will be ugly. If he was upset about his contract last year, I think he's going to be furious after he has to sit in and listen to Melvin tell him he's getting too fat to play 1B and discuss his terrible defense and the dropoff in his numbers from 2007 to 2008.

The probable (in my mind) scenario is they go to arby and Prince ends up somewhere around $7MM

The worst case scenario is they go to arby and Prince comes out demanding a trade. With his personality I think this could happen.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Prince

~Bill Walsh

Prince

~Bill Walsh

I thought I heard that the actual player doesn't have to attend the arby hearing as to avoid being ripped on by his employer. Prince seems like a guy who can hold a grudge so it would be an extremely smart move if he didn't have to be in the room at that arby hearing.

I thought I heard that the actual player doesn't have to attend the arby hearing as to avoid being ripped on by his employer. Prince seems like a guy who can hold a grudge so it would be an extremely smart move if he didn't have to be in the room at that arby hearing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Assuming it goes all the way to arbitration.

I'm not sure how the players in the second year of arbitration work off from their prior year's base salary or if the current economy is any factor or if they are just use prior year salary data and tacking on inflation. So any help is appreciated. My guesstimates:

Bush - $3.25M

McClung - $1.5M

Fielder - $8.5M

Weeks - $2.50M

Hart - $4.65M

Roderick, here you go:

Bush - $4.5 million - it's his second year of arby. Similar guy might be aaron cook - he got $5.125 after throwing 166 innings, going 8-7 and having a 4.12 ERA. This may have been an existing contract - so there is probably a better guy.

Hart is way high. He's due more like $2.4-2.5. Here's why.

Or Xavier Nady, two years ago, after a season of hitting 17 HR and a .790 OPS on 468 ABs, got $2.0 million.

Hardy, in his first year of arby, got $2.65, and he had a better year hitting, fielding and played a more hitting challenged position.

I'd argue Weeks is high too by using Hardy as an example. Hardy had a better year as a hitter and fielder, but got $2.65 million. I'd say rickie was due more like $2.0.

Jhonny Peralta - in his first season of arby - got $2.5 as a SS who hit a little less than JJ. just an example.

I'd say mcclung is good.

Prince I'd say is more like $6.5 or 7.0. I'd have to find a good comparable.

I'm not sure how the players in the second year of arbitration work off from their prior year's base salary or if the current economy is any factor or if they are just use prior year salary data and tacking on inflation. So any help is appreciated. My guesstimates:

Bush - $3.25M

McClung - $1.5M

Fielder - $8.5M

Weeks - $2.50M

Hart - $4.65M

Roderick, here you go:

Bush - $4.5 million - it's his second year of arby. Similar guy might be aaron cook - he got $5.125 after throwing 166 innings, going 8-7 and having a 4.12 ERA. This may have been an existing contract - so there is probably a better guy.

Or Xavier Nady, two years ago, after a season of hitting 17 HR and a .790 OPS on 468 ABs, got $2.0 million.

Hardy, in his first year of arby, got $2.65, and he had a better year hitting, fielding and played a more hitting challenged position.

I'd argue Weeks is high too by using Hardy as an example. Hardy had a better year as a hitter and fielder, but got $2.65 million. I'd say rickie was due more like $2.0.

Jhonny Peralta - in his first season of arby - got $2.5 as a SS who hit a little less than JJ. just an example.

I'd say mcclung is good.

Bush - $3.25M

McClung - $1.5M

Fielder - $8.5M

Weeks - $2.50M

Hart - $4.65M

Roderick, here you go:

I'd say mcclung is good.

Bush - $3.25M

McClung - $1.5M

Fielder - $8.5M

Weeks - $2.50M

Hart - $4.65M

Roderick, here you go:

I'd say mcclung is good.

Do we expect any of these guys to sign before arby, like Hardy did? I'm doubtful that Prince will, but what about the others? The Brewers seem to put an emphasis on avoiding arby. When was the last guy to go to arby? 5-6 years ago?

Do we expect any of these guys to sign before arby, like Hardy did? I'm doubtful that Prince will, but what about the others? The Brewers seem to put an emphasis on avoiding arby. When was the last guy to go to arby? 5-6 years ago?

One difference in Weeks, though, is that he made over $1 million last year due to the major league contract he signed at draft time. So he's starting at a higher salary than Hardy ($400,000). Not sure if that will make a difference in arby.

One difference in Weeks, though, is that he made over $1 million last year due to the major league contract he signed at draft time. So he's starting at a higher salary than Hardy ($400,000). Not sure if that will make a difference in arby.

Archived