Brewer Fanatic

Estimates on arby raises? Anyone?

Roderick

I know he isn't Ryan Howard, but it is one year later and baseball inflation was probably 10% last year.

Basically how the Arby's process works -- is that one side submits a number and the player's side submits a number, and then the Arbysnator, picks one number or the other, not some sort of midway point.

So, if this happened

Prince offer: $14M

DM offer: $1M

The Arbysnator would award Arby's to Prince, not because Prince's number is a fair reasonable figure, but because it is more reasonable than DM's.

To some degree, I believe that is what happened with Ryan Howard -- It was not that some Arbysnator thought that Howard was a $10M player, rather $10M was more reasonable than what the Phillies put on the table.

So in conclusion, I really don't think it is apt to look at Howard's situation as some sort of benchmark.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know he isn't Ryan Howard, but it is one year later and baseball inflation was probably 10% last year.

Basically how the Arby's process works -- is that one side submits a number and the player's side submits a number, and then the Arbysnator, picks one number or the other, not some sort of midway point.

So, if this happened

The Arbysnator would award Arby's to Prince, not because Prince's number is a fair reasonable figure, but because it is more reasonable than DM's.

To some degree, I believe that is what happened with Ryan Howard -- It was not that some Arbysnator thought that Howard was a $10M player, rather $10M was more reasonable than what the Phillies put on the table.

So in conclusion, I really don't think it is apt to look at Howard's situation as some sort of benchmark.

So, if this happened

I believe Hart and Fielder are both in their 1st year of arby. As others have stated, Fielder shouldn't get Ryan Howard money, and I expect $6-7MM for him. It will be interesting to see what he makes, as he isn't a ROY, MVP or perennial all-star. He did have a 50 HR season, but that was followed by 34 last year. His two year averages on the stats I believe are important in arby are 42 HR, 110 RBI, .282 avg. I don't know how much they take defense into consideration, but that would be a knock against him. I really think that Prince could be a case that goes to arby, as Prince / Boras will probably ask for the moon and not negotiate down. It could get kind of ugly.

Since Hardy was around $2.5MM this year, I'd expect Hart to be in the $2-3MM range. In his first year, Hardy was also coming off an All-Star season, put up better overall numbers than Hart and plays a tougher position. Hart's 22HR, 86 RBI, .280 batting average aren't that great of two-year averages for a RF. The 23 SB's each year will help him. I'd think he'd be paid less than Hardy made this year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I believe Hart and Fielder are both in their 1st year of arby. As others have stated, Fielder shouldn't get Ryan Howard money, and I expect $6-7MM for him. It will be interesting to see what he makes, as he isn't a ROY, MVP or perennial all-star. He did have a 50 HR season, but that was followed by 34 last year. His two year averages on the stats I believe are important in arby are 42 HR, 110 RBI, .282 avg. I don't know how much they take defense into consideration, but that would be a knock against him. I really think that Prince could be a case that goes to arby, as Prince / Boras will probably ask for the moon and not negotiate down. It could get kind of ugly.

Since Hardy was around $2.5MM this year, I'd expect Hart to be in the $2-3MM range. In his first year, Hardy was also coming off an All-Star season, put up better overall numbers than Hart and plays a tougher position. Hart's 22HR, 86 RBI, .280 batting average aren't that great of two-year averages for a RF. The 23 SB's each year will help him. I'd think he'd be paid less than Hardy made this year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

~Bill Walsh

~Bill Walsh

In real life and in trade value, the All-Star game means nothing. In arby, I think they do take it into consideration. Kind of like winning an Oscar. It doesn't mean you're a better actor than someone else, but you'll probably get paid more for your next role.

~Bill Walsh

In real life and in trade value, the All-Star game means nothing. In arby, I think they do take it into consideration. Kind of like winning an Oscar. It doesn't mean you're a better actor than someone else, but you'll probably get paid more for your next role.

~Bill Walsh

~Bill Walsh

~Bill Walsh

I know the arbitrator picks one number or the other.

Can the fact that Howard may not have won his case if the Phillies would have offered $8M last year come into play in the thoughts of the arbitrator? It seems like that is water under the bridge at this point and the fact was that Howard got $10M.

And if Howard's pay isn't thought of to be excessive, why wouldn't the fact that Howard got paid $10M come up in the arby hearing? They are so comparable in position played, type of player (slugger), and age/arbitration status that it would be absurd to assume that Boras wouldn't play the Howard card. Boras, "Fielder is just one slight notch below this very, very comparable player that received $10M last year". I would think a reasonable salary for my client for this next year would be $9M.

But I admit I know nothing regarding baseball arbitration, but in other types of arbitration comparables are used all the time.

Can the fact that Howard may not have won his case if the Phillies would have offered $8M last year come into play in the thoughts of the arbitrator? It seems like that is water under the bridge at this point and the fact was that Howard got $10M.

And if Howard's pay isn't thought of to be excessive, why wouldn't the fact that Howard got paid $10M come up in the arby hearing? They are so comparable in position played, type of player (slugger), and age/arbitration status that it would be absurd to assume that Boras wouldn't play the Howard card. Boras, "Fielder is just one slight notch below this very, very comparable player that received $10M last year". I would think a reasonable salary for my client for this next year would be $9M.

But I admit I know nothing regarding baseball arbitration, but in other types of arbitration comparables are used all the time.

monty57 wrote:

Makes sense. Tack on baseball inflation to Hardy's $2.65M voluntarily signed first year in arby, would put Hart around $2.9M.

monty57 wrote:

Makes sense. Tack on baseball inflation to Hardy's $2.65M voluntarily signed first year in arby, would put Hart around $2.9M.

Archived