Brewer Fanatic

Hardy avoids arby, signs 1yr 4.65 mil

DSFastball55

Frankly, the longer the contract, the better, in my opinion. Hardy seems like the kind of guy who should age pretty well.

Dare I think, having Braun and Hardy as the core of the team for the next several years would be similar to...no, I won't dare say it.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would love a 4 year deal with Hardy. I think it would have to be around $10M per year on average for him to even consider it though. He is headed for a huge payday after 2010 unless he drastically falls off.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

including this year...

5.5, 8, 10.5, 13? Team option for $13?

That seems fair to me... maybe i'm optimistic.

I wasn't inclulding this season-the next 4 years. Assuming he goes to FA he'll get at least $8m next season and then likely 5years at $15m per in FA.

I would think the Brewers would wait to see how Escobar progresses in the minors this year before locking up Hardy. If Escobar's bat can come anywhere near JJ's then he becomes the bettter (financial) option at short. I'd say the Brewers are hoping Escobar is ready for 2010 and then Hardy will be moved (in a trade, or maybe position).

On the other hand, locking up JJ for a reasonable 4 year contract doesn't hurt his trade value any if he continues to play like he has for the last 2 years.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

On the other hand, locking up JJ for a reasonable 4 year contract doesn't hurt his trade value any if he continues to play like he has for the last 2 years.

Many said the same thing about Bill Hall... then again, I wasn't one of those people.

The fact that he had to be guaranteed to remain at shortstop tells me that he will be a little bit tougher to lock-up than we are speculating. From what we know, the only way him and Escobar would man the same infield is if Hardy would move to 3rd and Escobar to SS. I guess Escobar could possibly be placed at 2nd, but I don't know how likely that is.

I really want to see JJ locked up long-term. Him and Braun are the two people that we would benefit greatly for the next half-decade if we could get him signed long-term.

Many said the same thing about Bill Hall... then again, I wasn't one of those people.

Then again, who could have reasonably predicted Hall would "fall off" as much as he has in the past two years? I didn't think he could necessarily maintain those high power numbers he had, but who would have thought he would seemingly forget how to hit almost completely?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Then again, who could have reasonably predicted Hall would "fall off" as much as he has in the past two years? I didn't think he could necessarily maintain those high power numbers he had, but who would have thought he would seemingly forget how to hit almost completely?
Hopefully his offseason lasik surgery wil magically allow him to hit something other than a fastball again.

On Hardy, I will be very interested to see what happens in the next 2 years. If all goes as planned, Alcides will be ready for the bigs in 2010, if Hardy is signed long term, what do you do with Escobar? If Hardy is still going year to year do you try to trade him or do you still try to get an extension done? Who would be required to move? If Alcides has another good year in 2009 do you maximize his value and try to get some solid pitching in a trade? IMO I would sign Hardy long term, let Alcides play out this year and then decide what to do next offseason. An MLB ready gold glove calibur SS would draw pretty significant interest I would think, especially if the SS FA market is weak next year. Given Alcides athleticsm I would think he could adapt rather quickly to another position, perhaps 2nd, 3rd or even CF. I don't believe Hardy could adapt as well to a new position but I could be wrong.

If Hardy signs long term it will likely involve a no trade clause (the Red Sox pretty much made sure of that for most below market contracts with the Arroyo trade) and a promise to play SS. Meaning Escobar would be traded since he doesn't really fit in elsewhere.

If Hardy is locked up long term would he really care if was moved off of SS to play 3B? I assume one of the reasons he doesn't want to move is the money will be better as a SS with a decent stick. If he is getting paid for the next 4 or 5 years maybe he would be open to playing 3rd since by the time he is a free agent in his early 30's he may very well profile as a 3B anyway. In 2010, this would allow Escobar to play SS, solve the black hole of 3B for the Brewers, allow Gamel to move to 1B, and trade Prince for some sort of pitching.

Just sort of my own scenario, not sure how realistic but could be possible.

I'd probably see which one garners the better return.
Well that's easy to answer, Hardy would have the most value as Escobar hasn't proven anything at the MLB level yet.

To be honest though, if they could sign him to a deal similar to Braun's he would probably be considered relatively affordable and thus pretty tradeable later on if necessary.
Braun had over 5 years before FA... Hardy has 2.. the situations are disimilar. Hardy might be the best positional FA in his class if he goes that route. I would love it if he would sign a deal, but when was the last time a professional player didn't take the money? If he would sign a 4 year deal, I don't think it would hurts his trade value to one of the larger markets, but the tail end of that contract would be pretty spendy for the smaller markets. In 2010 someone is going to get moved between Escobar, Hardy, and Weeks... I will say that I'd be much more comfortable with Hardy being the highest paid Brewer than someone like Suppan.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The guy carried an OPS of .690 in the minors. He's hitting just like he should have been all along right now.

I have no idea how he strung together 2 good seasons of hitting against major league pitching.

The guy carried an OPS of .690 in the minors. He's hitting just like he should have been all along right now.

I have no idea how he strung together 2 good seasons of hitting against major league pitching.

That's so right. I predicted Billy's demise before the 2007 season. In the second half of the 2006 season you could see his lack of discipline overtaking his raw talent. Last year he did hustle out his first triple in about 3 years so maybe he's primed for a comeback.

If Hardy is locked up long term would he really care if was moved off of SS to play 3B? I assume one of the reasons he doesn't want to move is the money will be better as a SS with a decent stick.

If I were in his shoes, I'd be all for being paid to do a very hard job when I do an easier one (assuming he transitions well). Of course, he'd still be fairly young when the deal ends, and would thus risk a smaller payday then. Even if he signed a 6 year extension, he'd still only be 32 and could land another nice deal.

I get the feeling that JJ just enjoys playing SS more than he would 3B. He's played there (probably) his whole life. Why move over for some unproven rookie when you're highly compatible at the position, and are easily top five (likely top three) offensively in your league.

It'd be unreasonable for anyone to expect JJ to move from short to 3B without any problem at all. I think this will be the main factor in his likely departure after the '10 season. Sad, but true.

Hardy can just make so much more money as a SS. Perhaps the Brewers will be the team to give him his first big multi-year contract, perhaps not. But I think it's a certainty that the contract will come at SS dollars, and I'd think Hardy was a bit wacky if he didn't insist on that.

Why move over for some unproven rookie when you're highly compatible at the position, and are easily top five (likely top three) offensively in your league.

Right on. As long as J.J. doesn't suffer some tremendous injury/ies, his value post-arbitration is going to be almost as high as it gets for a position player.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived