Brewer Fanatic

Your favorite play calls TV/Radio?

Prince James
Easily the best game I have ever been to. And who blew that save? Mitch Williams then of the Texas Rangers.

Incorrect. I don't even have to look this up. It was Greg Harris. Williams pitched like 2 innings of solid relief before Harris entered the game in the 9th.

Yeah, manager Bobby Valentine made a pitching change "which he may or may not regret" (another sound bite I can recite from my ancient 10th inning show cassette recording).
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Scully's call of the Gibson home run in the 1988 World Series is one of my favorites. I was in college and was following the game with a friend of mine who was a Dodgers fan. By the time Eckersley came in he had fallen asleep on the couch. He woke up when the crowd went wild and asked, "what happened". I could only tell him that he would be seeing the highlights for the rest of his life on ESPN classic.

My personal favorite radio broadcast is actually the closing ceremonies at County Stadium. I was listening in the tractor as I was picking up hay bales on the farm. As the players were announced it brought back so many great memories that it brought me to tears.

Scully's call of the Gibson home run in the 1988 World Series is one of my favorites. I was in college and was following the game with a friend of mine who was a Dodgers fan. By the time Eckersley came in he had fallen asleep on the couch. He woke up when the crowd went wild and asked, "what happened". I could only tell him that he would be seeing the highlights for the rest of his life on ESPN classic.
That is impressive, not only coming up with a good line, but also predicting the launch of a new Cable channel...7 years before it is launched...

Not to be overly nit picking, but I think you are combining elements of the Rob Deer and Dale Sveum HR calls.

The Deer HR call was along the lines of, "A curve ball, drilled to deep left, gonna get (or putting it) WAY WAY WAY outta here, and GONE for Deer! And they have TIED it at FOUR! WHOA-WHOA!"

The Sveum HR call was more of a classic "Right field and deep! Get up! Get up! Get outta here! GONE! For Sveum! AND THEY'VE DONE IT AGAIN..." etc. as sheetskout indicates above.

I'm remembering this much without benefit of my crappy 1987 Radio Shack cassette at home. I've listened to it that much over time. Oh, the nerdiness.

Yeah.. Now that I remember I think you are right. I haven't watched Magic, Miracles, and True Believers (The Story Of The 1987 Milwaukee Brewers) in a while. I actually did think about if I combined them the other day. Still the greatest game I have ever been to.

My new favorite is also my tag. BA from last year against St. Louis:

"And Braun, deep into left field, he loves it!"

Anyone know if this clip might be available anywhere? I'm guessing this is from game 4 of that series we swept in St. Louis. If it is, I missed Anderson's commentary in my excitement and would love to see/hear it again if anyone knows if it's anywhere online.

• 1 year later...
1978. Opening Day. Brewers vs. Boston. Sixto Lezcano hits a game winning grand slam in the bottom of the ninth to win the game. Uecker goes nuts. I become

addicted to baseball.

This is mine, though it was the 1980 one. I believe Ueck's call was something like 'A drive to right center.....back goes Evans.....it's got a chance.....GONE.... a grand slam for Lezcano!'. I was at the Easter Sunday game, and though I had my transistor radio, I didn't hear the call because I'm sure it fell to the beer soaked concrete while I was going nuts.

From last year I really liked "Aaaaand SEE YA! Number 600 for Alex Rodriguez!" I don't remember his name offhand but I think that Yankees' announcer is one of the best. He always says the right all. Even that one was totally non special as of what he said but it can give me goosebumps.

Absolutely nothing beats for the the Ryan Braun homerun that put us ahead against the Cubs to get the wildcard. Rock was so emotional all he yelled was "HE DID IT" and then BA came over the top with his high nasily almost crying excited voice "RYAAAN BRAUUUN HOME RUN!" Gives me goosebumps every single time I hear it or think about it.

Anyone have a current link for some of the old Uecker calls? I've been looking through the archived threads and the links are dead. The Sveum HR call n partcular, but any other greaet ones would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Here is the only thing I could find on the net. You have to work through a few minutes of nonsense, but Pat Hughes's post-game show, including the Deer and Sveum highlights come up in the background.

I'm not sure the exact wordage, but the game where Rickie and Prince both hit there first homeruns and after Prince hit his, Sutton said "the first home run for the Prince who will one day be king, and all this will be his." something like that. For some reason, I always liked that one.

Vasgersian had some of my all-time favorites, which might be the only memorable things about some of those teams. I don't remember any of the details, other than these pop culture referenced home run calls:

"Orange whip, orange whip, orange whip. Three orange whips!"

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have some pudding if you don't eat your meat?!"

Archived