Brewer Fanatic

Your favorite play calls TV/Radio?

Prince James

With so much baseball knowledge on this site, I was curious to see what some of your all time favorite baseball calls have been. I am most interested in Brewers' broadcasts, but any will do. Of course Uecker's call of Braun's homerun in our last regular season game last year is near the top of my list, but I especially like the type of calls where an announcer completely loses it due to the excitement of an unexpected play. One that stands out for me (sorry if the details are incorrect) is when the Brewers came back from a 5-0 deficit against the Reds at Miller Park in the 9th inning. Bill Hall crushed a homerun to win the game and I still get chills thinking about Sutton's call of the homerun. I think this was in 2004 so I cannot find the actual highlight. The Mother's Day homerun call was not that bad either. In fact, I just love Bill Hall highlights...

What other ones stand out for you guys? Links are appreciated, but not necessary. I just like remembering some of the exciting/funny moments (i.e. Happy Youngster).

Darren Jackson hits a grand slam in St. Louis, I believe... Vasgersian LOST IT. For some reason I remember that one.

Matty V's call of Sexson's HR in the first game at Miller Park... "OHHH RICHIE SEXSON! OH YOU SEXSON BOY YOU!"

I still remember both Sutton and Ueck's call of Prince's first HR against the Twins. That moment gave me chills, as you could see the future of the franchise blossom.

A lot stick out in the past... Paschke's call of the last out of Nieves' no-no. Uecker's Easter Sunday call. Going way back the call of Sixto's grand slam. Dwayne Mosley's call of the last out of the ALCS. Stuff I could recite on the spot.. haha.

A lot of my favorites came from this year though... Ueck's call of the Braun HR and game ending DP were classic. It was like Ueck didn't know what to say at the end, so he just yelled "HEEEEYYYYYY THEY WIN!" I thought the TV call of the DP was great as well, mainly because of Rock yelling "YES!" in the background.

One that I thought was pretty quick and clever in a matter of seconds actually came from a Cubs broadcast. I have no idea who it was, but I want to say it was Skip Caray.

It was on Opening Day and the Brewers turned a 5-4-3 Triple Play against the Cubs (the last one we've turned I think)? The announcer said something about the play as it happened, and then said "And it's a triple play on Opening Day, how about that??".

I just remember thinking at the time that it was pretty sweet to get a good line, one that ryhmes even, into a broadcast. Especially for a situation/play that doesn't happen all that often.

Darren Jackson hits a grand slam in St. Louis, I believe... Vasgersian LOST IT. For some reason I remember that one.

I was just thinking of that game last night while watching a "greatest game" replay on the MLB network. All I remember is a back and forth offensive battle with the Cardinals hitting a grand slam to go ahead. You could hear Matty V. pound the table in frustration after they hit it. And then Jackson comes up in the ninth to hit the go ahead grand slam and wins the game. You could tell Vasgersian was emotionally spent after that one. I think that's when he officially became my favorite tv announcer.

Matty V's call of Sexson's HR in the first game at Miller Park... "OHHH RICHIE SEXSON! OH YOU SEXSON BOY YOU!"

How about his "RICHIE I'M TOO SEXSON FOR MY SHIRT!" home run call.

I remember when Matt V. called a mammoth Burnitz homer and starting singing "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam.
Epic....also, not yet mentioned, surprisingly, the 1987 Easter Sunday HR calls.
Marc Newfield of Dreams mentioned the Easter Sunday '87 call.

I was home for spring break that day, and somehow had the presence of mind (once I stopped jumping up and down and yelling) to pop a crappy RadioShack cassette tape into my brother's crappy RadioShack stereo tape deck and recorded the highlights off Pat Hughes' 10th inning show. So I have the Deer and Sveum home run calls, with Pat's commentary in between.

I still have the tape at home and if I played it tonight, I still could pretty much recite everything Pat says. I wish I had the equipment to put that in mp3 format.

I've heard of the "Jeremy" home run call described by Warhawk Joe, but don't think I've ever actually heard the call.

Also, to add something new to the list, I've enjoyed Jim Powell's call of the Ryan Braun walkoff grand slam quite a bit since I first heard it during our walk back to the Giants parking lot on the night of September 25. His voice immediately goes up like an octave (maybe not literally) as soon as the ball left Ryan's bat:

"2-2 on the way, SWINGANDADRIVETO LEFT! Way back! Way gone! Grand Slam Ryan Braun!"

It just made me tear up, again.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I remember when Jenkins hit 5 HR in 2 days in 2001, and on HR 4 or 5 Vasgerian mimicked the classic Bugs Bunny cartoon with "Wham! A homer! Wham! Another Homer! Wham! Wham! Wham!"

There was also a game in 2003 when Eddie Perez hit a walk off HR that hit the foul pole, and I remember Uecker yelling "It hit the pole!" over and over.

hawing, I've got those calls on my computer. I did the EXACT same thing you did back on that Easter Sunday. Still have the tape. But 2 summers ago I finally digitized them. I don't think their in mp3 format (probably wma) but that's not the issue here.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Sutton's call of Fielder's first home run still gets me..

"Career home run number 1 for the man who is prince, but will soon be kind!"

Of course the DP call by Rock and BA from last year to end the last game of the regular season with Rock exploding in the background.

I liked BA's call of a Counsell clutch hit in 07' and Estrada was on 1st..

"GET ON YOUR HORSE JOHNNY!!"

I remember when Jenkins hit 5 HR in 2 days in 2001, and on HR 4 or 5 Vasgerian mimicked the classic Bugs Bunny cartoon with "Wham! A homer! Wham! Another Homer! Wham! Wham! Wham!"

This was the one I was going to mention. I found a clip of this once, but I haven't been able to find it again. Hilarious.

hawing wrote: I wish I had the equipment to put that in mp3 format.
I have the equipment to do so. I could put that into mp3 format pretty easily.

This is how I got the songs off the old vinyl records from Turning Up The Heat and Brewer Fever

I'm really surprised that only 1 of you mentioned last season's final game Braun HR.

Your original question asked for favorite calls period.

To that I would have to respond Russ Hodges call of Bobby Thompson's "Shot heard round the World," and Jack Buck's call of the 1988 1st game HR by Kirk Gibson. "I can't believe what I just saw."

For me personally it's Jack Brickhouse's call of Ernie Banks 500th HR.

My favorite Brewers moment would be Pat Hughes call of Aramis Ramirez walk off HR against Cordero on June 29, 2007. But that's just me.

Epic....also, not yet mentioned, surprisingly, the 1987 Easter Sunday HR calls.
Totally beat me to that. If I can remember right it went like this: (Uecker's Call)

"Gantner.....there he goes, and the pitch....a SWING and DRIVE TO RIGHT FIELD PUTTING IT WAY... WAY.... WAY.... (three times) OUTA HERE AND GONE!!!!!! AND THEY'VE DONE IT AGAIN!!!! TWELVE IN A ROW, ON A TWO RUN BLAST BY SVEUM TO WIN IT!!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT????"

Greatest video of all time: Magic, Miracles and True Believers - The Story of the 1987 Milwaukee Brewers

Easily the best game I have ever been to. And who blew that save? Mitch Williams then of the Texas Rangers.

Totally beat me to that. If I can remember right it went like this: (Uecker's Call)

"Gantner.....there he goes, and the pitch....a SWING and DRIVE TO RIGHT FIELD PUTTING IT WAY... WAY.... WAY.... (three times) OUTA HERE AND GONE!!!!!! AND THEY'VE DONE IT AGAIN!!!! TWELVE IN A ROW, ON A TWO RUN BLAST BY SVEUM TO WIN IT!!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT????"

Not to be overly nit picking, but I think you are combining elements of the Rob Deer and Dale Sveum HR calls.

The Deer HR call was along the lines of, "A curve ball, drilled to deep left, gonna get (or putting it) WAY WAY WAY outta here, and GONE for Deer! And they have TIED it at FOUR! WHOA-WHOA!"

The Sveum HR call was more of a classic "Right field and deep! Get up! Get up! Get outta here! GONE! For Sveum! AND THEY'VE DONE IT AGAIN..." etc. as sheetskout indicates above.

I'm remembering this much without benefit of my crappy 1987 Radio Shack cassette at home. I've listened to it that much over time. Oh, the nerdiness.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Of non-Brewer calls, I would say my favorite has to be the entirety of Kirk Gibson's famous 1988 World Series at-bat, called by Vin Scully.

Jack Buck's call of the same play is great, but for me Scully's call of each pitch is just magical, ending with probably my favorite announcer line ever (you all know it): "In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened."

Easily the best game I have ever been to. And who blew that save? Mitch Williams then of the Texas Rangers.

Incorrect. I don't even have to look this up. It was Greg Harris. Williams pitched like 2 innings of solid relief before Harris entered the game in the 9th.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived