Brewer Fanatic

how could he be a 4th outfielder with the numbers hes putting up hes having a better year than any of our outfielders.

.315 13 HRs 46 RBIs 15 SBs

I would think that the brewers should take a look at him at the deadline or if not sign him in the offseason.

I'll assume you were talking about the dback's Byrnes.

but on close examination, the rangers' Byrd is also putting up some very decent numbers since his call up.

similar names - similar results.

Byrnes is the anti-Jenkins. He starts out red hot, then disappears down the stretch. He has a career sub 700 OPS after then break. The 874 OPS he has right now is identical to the OPS he put up before the break last year. He then put a a 718 OPS after then break. We should definately avoid him, at least until next year.

Also, I doubt he's available, as Arizona is right in the middle of the playoff chase.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I don't like this move. Where does he fit? He's not better than Jenkins, Hart, or Hall, plus he's atrocious defensively.

In my opinion, he's clearly having a fluke half-season. I think the Brewers, if they are going to make a move, should be going after a guy on the other end of a fluke year. That is to say, a guy who is doing much worse than could be expected.

Quote:Isn't he better than Mench?

Yes he is , over a full season, but we'd only have him for the part of the year where he wilts. At best, Byrnes would give us a low 700 OPS, and I could see Mench doing that, no matter how bad I think he is. Also, we don't have to give anything up to get Mench, he's already here.

(fixed quote -TC)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote:
Arizona is 2 games back and 47-39,why would they be looking to trade Byrnes?

I could see them trading him because I'm pretty sure their GM realizes he's not as good as he has played so far this year. If somebody offered them a good deal, they might take it because of the "sell high" philosophy. I just hope the team that makes them a good offer isn't the Brewers.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would bump this, although it's a seller market, he would be a very nice acquisition, who seems to be on a contract drive.

He would be awesome batting 2nd, Hardy could then slide down the order?

What will it take, after Inman, Parra & Jeffress do we have any worthwhile pitching prospects that other teams would want?

GO BREW

I was not impressed with him when he was here this past week. He's a headcase. After every single at bat he had here, which for the most part was unsuccessful, he would take his sweet sweet time walking to the dugout, pouting the entire way. He misplayed several balls in the outfield, and showed poor plate discipline. The last thing the Brewers need to add is a whiney overrated outfielder who thinks 40,000 people payed to see his circus of a baseball game.

Quote:
I was not impressed with him when he was here this past week. He's a headcase. After every single at bat he had here, which for the most part was unsuccessfu

Ummm, he had 4 hits in 10 ABs, 3 of them doubles, and 4 stolen bases in those 3 games. He would arguably be the best outfield bat on our team.

actually Joe, Byrnes is outstanding defensively. Has a great arm and good range. The only thing that can be problematic is that he gets a bit dive-happy, so sometimes singles become doubles.

Brynes runs like a jackrabbit.....gets on base....and if the D-Backs traded by far there best everyday player, there fans would go crazy.

Brynes isn't going anywhere....If they pay Doug Davis that kind of money, they will pay Brynes at the end of the year.

I could picture Byrnes moving, his contract is up, if they don't think they can get him signed it's no different than Carlos Lee one year ago.

I would bet Byrnes would at least test the free agent market, he'll be coming off his best year.

Byrnes wants Gary Matthews Jr. money, and the Diamondbacks would be stupid to give it to him with the wealth of outfield talent they have in their system. The D'Backs have about as much outfield talent in the minors as the Brewers had infield talent in the minors a year or two ago (before the current crew came up).

Also, while the Diamondbacks' record isn't bad and they could be considered a "playoff contender," they look like they've been incredibly lucky this year...their Pythagorean Record is actually below .500, IIRC. BP has them at only a 4% chance at making the playoffs...I could see them trading Byrnes away to an AL team just to get something in return. I doubt he'd be a Type A FA, so he wouldn't net them two first rounders as incentive to keep him all year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

if the D-Backs traded by far there best everyday player, there fans would go crazy.

The Dbacks will get rid of Byrnes, because they can't keep him. The GM, Byrnes, is in no hurry to win thanks to his contract. His priority is to get the team in shape for the future, and to be financially sound. So if the Dbacks can get a prospect or draft picks for Byrnes, then that is their priority.

I think the Diamondbacks are likely to trade Byrnes for the reasons previously stated. They're falling in the division, have good young outfielders and are likely to lose Byrnes after this season. He's therefore their best "trading chip."

That said, while I'd like to have him, I don't know that he'd be that big an upgrade over the Mench / Jenkins combo to warrant giving up much for him, and I don't see the Diamondbacks wanting either Mench or Jenkins back in return, as they'd probably be looking for pre-abry talent.

Also, if we were able to swing a deal for Byrnes and then moved Jenkins for relief help, which would seem the logical thing to do, what would we do for a LF next season? It seems LaPorta is planned to our starting LF in 2009, so we'd have a one-season gap without anyone. We likely wouldn't be able to sign a free agent for one season, so it would seem that we'd have some form of a Mench / Gwynn / Gross combo playing everyday along with Hall and Hart. In that scenario, I'd rather see us hang onto Jenkins and have the same OF next year as we have this year, with LaPorta taking over when Jenkins and Mench are gone in 2009. I guess the big question is whether anyone still feels Gross can equal Jenkins as the LH part of a platoon.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

After every single at bat he had here, which for the most part was unsuccessful, he would take his sweet sweet time walking to the dugout, pouting the entire way. He misplayed several balls in the outfield, and showed poor plate discipline. The last thing the Brewers need to add is a whiney overrated outfielder who thinks 40,000 people payed to see his circus of a baseball game.

I agree because we have the left handed version of this in Jenkins. Poor plate discipline, misplaying balls in the outfield and being overrated as a player.

Archived