Brewer Fanatic

The end of the world...should the govt tell us?

paul253

I was watching this show on the history channel last night about the 7 likeliest way that humanity will end, and one of them was an asteroid. They said we have ideas on how to deflect an asteroid coming right at us if we see it soon enough, but I dont know if we have the resources yet to do that. Anyway, they said that astronomers or whatever can predict the exact day the asteroid would hit, like ten or twenty years out. Hypothetically, if this were to happen tomorrow, do you think the government has the responsibility to tell us that the world is going to end on January 11, 2019 or whatever? On the one hand, how can you deny people the right to know the most important news in the history of the world that literally affects everyone on the planet? On the other hand, can you imagine the violence and complete collapse of any sort of government control should this news get out?

I lean towards the not telling, at least not until a year out. I just think too many bad things like violence, rioting, collapse of financial instituitions, etc, would occur and the last 10 years would be absolute hell.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the government tried to keep an asteroid hit a secret, independent astronomers would put the news out anyways. There's too many people with too much knowledge for something that huge to remain a secret.

There's already a "near miss" projected in 2029, as there's an extinction level asteroid that is supposed to come within the moons orbit of Earth. Now, 200,000 miles from the planet sounds like a huge distance, but celestially speaking, that's too close for comfort.

Now, that's just an asteroid, and I'm sure there's lots of other "disaster" type scenarios out there that could lead to the end of humanity that the gov't may be able to cover up, without considering the scope or context of whatever the event may be.

If there is a 100% chance that everyone on earth will die and there is nothing that anyone can do to prevent it or avoid it, then no the government should not say anything about it. If you tell humanity that it only has 3 months until it is destroyed, total chaos will ensue. Everyone will quit their job and the structure of civilization will collapse.

If there is any chance that the disaster can be prevented or avoided, you have to tell the people. I live very near to Yellowstone and if the explosion of the caldera was somehow predicted, I would want to know.

If we have 10 years notice, I'm fairly confident that we'd figure it out, especially since we have the basic technology to deal with an asteroid anyway. If it were more immediate, as others have said there's no way you tell everyone, it would be bedlam.

If we have 10 years notice, I'm fairly confident that we'd figure it out, especially since we have the basic technology to deal with an asteroid anyway. If it were more immediate, as others have said there's no way you tell everyone, it would be bedlam.

What is the basic technology we have to deal with an asteroid? I assume you don't mean oil drillers landing on it and dropping a nuke down an 800 foot hole.

What is the basic technology we have to deal with an asteroid? I assume you don't mean oil drillers landing on it and dropping a nuke down an 800 foot hole.
I'm assuming it has somthing to do with intercepting it with a missle.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Community Moderator

Shooting a missile at an asteroid would be a bad idea. It would likely blow up into a ton of smaller pieces which would all still rain down on the earth in a spectacular, yet fiery disaster. We wouldn't be wiped out, but you could still destroy a decent chunk of land with a smaller piece (e.g. Siberia 1908).

The better option is to just give the thing a little bump and let it keep going on a different path--but that of course would be a more difficult maneuver.

The better option is to just give the thing a little bump and let it keep going on a different path--but that of course would be a more difficult maneuver.

Now that you mention it...I think I recall hearing something like that. Giving it a little bump or somehow pulling it off course using some sort of gravitational pull.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Invader3K wrote:
I think the government should tell people...yes, society would probably collapse, but what would the point really be at that juncture anyway? At least you'd have time to make sure you're with loved ones and such.

That's a tough one though. Think about the unmentionable atrocities that could happen to you and your loved ones as chaos and anarchy breaks out.

edit: I realize that this is all hypothetical. However, one of the problems with this hypothetical situation is that it would probably require a cooperative effort on the parts of all governments around the world in order to keep it from the public. I doubt that would be possible.

Archived