Brewer Fanatic

Career change/alter/update...

cooprules

Thought I would ask this here. You all seem like fine, outstanding, young men and women. I'm trying to prepare for a job change, even though I hope it doesn't happen.

I am currently in the digital prepress field. I started in 1994 when this was to be the "future". Well, work seems to be dying out as most companies that even print anything anymore do their work in-house. In other words, I have no idea what to do. I currently have a job I love at a company I love but the work is dying out and we've been laying off people, and I may be next.

I work in Photoshop daily. I consider myself very proficient at doing anything using it. I'm also familiar with most of the other graphic apps as well (Illustrator, Indesign, Quark, etc.)

I would seem to fit a design type job but I'm not a designer by trade. I do more like production art and color correction. Someone tells me what to put where and I make it happen. You want it green I'll make it green, red I'll make it red. I'm not sure I'd be good at coming up with something myself.

I was thinking about getting into Web development but am not sure how much education I would need. I've seen many online programs but I have no idea how they work or if they are even worth anything. I think online courses would be my only option. I'd be willing to build off the knowledge I have but I'm not sure what direction to go. I'm not exactly a young go-getter anymore.

Anyone with any knowledge in this area? I know some are in the graphic design field.

Thanks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've been looking at web design too. Look into your local community college - most probably have continuing education with certificates in some kind of web design program. Much cheaper than going back to school full time.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

if you live near a university with its own printing press, keep your eyes peeled for job openings. Although budgets are tight on campus too, we ALWAYS need print services. UWM, I believe, employs 2-4 pre-press employees.

Web design is a good avenue to pursue. As a graphic designer, I know types like myself may very well go the way of the dinosaur if I don't start expanding my skills in the near future making the most of "new media" opportunities. So I wouldn't pursue graphic design alone given what you're experiencing.

I would suggest trying to keep your job in pre-press, since there will always be some need for such skilled people, and try to take night/weekend classes in the meantime (or sign up for the dreaded third shift, if the printing company you work at, offers that if you can't find night or weekend classes). I'm not sure if you would need a degree, since your experience in pre-press could get your foot in the door for an interview, as long as you can prove you know what you're talking about when it comes to web development. If you're good with computer programs, I suggest picking up Dreamweaver and just playing with it and the tutorial. I know MIAD offers some post-bachelor night classes. There is also a graphic design placement agency in the Third Ward whose name escapes me at this point in time that offers classes for those interested in expanding their knowledge of the industry. I know I have the link at work, so I'll try to remember to provide that when I'm back in the office on Monday.

C2 Graphics is the place I've dealt with before. Wouldn't doubt if that's the agency you're talking about. I know they have a Milwaukee office.

Is Web development and web design considered the same thing? Development seems more technical to me. I know monster.com has some web development online program bundle that seems interesting and relatively cheap. But I'm not sure if it would hold any merit to an employer.

I've talked with our bosses and our company is starting to specialize in premedia and digital asset management. That, I believe, is where our future is. I'm hoping I could expand my skills to include that type of stuff.

Thanks for all the advice. I know it's a tough go for everyone right now.

If you tinker with Dreamweaver and even develop your own personal website for practice and feel like you want to go the web developer route, consider volunteering. I'm doing volunteer programming (mostly application development, but some web design) for the local school district. I'm doing the at home dad thing right now, so my motivation is to keep my skills up and not have a big gap on my resume if I decide to work again once the kids are in school. The school district even lent me a Thinkpad to use for the work.

You could gain web development skills while still on your current job, have a real web site to show off during an interview, have references, and can do most of it from your home. Not to mention helping out a non profit type place. Plus since its volunteer work, if life gets busy and you don't work on it for a month, no big deal - unlike if you were in night school or trying to get experience doing consulting work.

Here are a couple options I've found...

MATC Web Development Certificate

Monster.com-Web Development Bundle

Both are online offerings, which is what I would want to do. Just not sure if they'd really carry any weight in the workplace. Any thoughts on these?

The monster.com cost seems too low. The MATC certificate would be about 700-800 dollars. That's why I'm thinking there's a catch. I have zero experience with online classes.

• 2 weeks later...

http://career-education.m...ndle-web-development.html

Could someone look at this and see if this would do me any good at all? It's so much cheaper than any tech school stuff would be. I'm not getting a whole lot of help from "Cornerstone OnDemand". And I need to take online classes. I'm not worried about credits or a degree or anything. This looks like it leads to a couple certificates. Not sure if these certificates would be worth anything in the workplace. Just so you know, I'm just looking to add things to my resume, not get a degree necessarily. I'm almost 40. Not looking to become Rodney Dangerfield in 'Back to School' or anything.

Archived