Brewer Fanatic

A question for the hardcore stat guys: player is good for X wins a season

Nottso

I often see where someone will post "______ is good for X wins a season," or "_________ is good for X run differential ." I don't know how you guys do it, and probably couldn't understand it if I did know how, but I have a question. Can any of you guys figure out how a team would project out with all 9 batters having the stats of any given player? For instance, would 9 Craig Counsells beat 9 Bill Halls? How about 9 Gabe Kaplers vs 9 Prince Fielders? Can this be done, and do any of you have the time and/or inclination to do so?

Go easy on me, guys n' gals... I'm a fragile, senile old man.

Community Moderator
I recall the Scott Hatteberg chapter in Moneyball argued that a team of 2002 Scott Hattebergs would have scored something like 900 runs in a season. Not sure how that is calculated, though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I recall the Scott Hatteberg chapter in Moneyball argued that a team of 2002 Scott Hattebergs would have scored something like 900 runs in a season. Not sure how that is calculated, though.

Using ab x OBP x SLG, and given 5800 ab's you come up with 937 runs.

Thanks guys. I looked up a few people using that formula. Counsell beat Hall and barely got by Fielder, but not Braun (no surprise there). That's as far as I really went. It kinda all started with me thinking (when I'd see Counsell hatred posted) "I bet 9 Counsell's would be a pretty good team." Ehh... it was fun, and I'm old and bored.

Archived