Brewer Fanatic

Six degrees of Mike Cameron

jaybird2001wi

Since people are speculating that Mike Cameron's presence on the team helped us land Trevor Hoffman and his ability to befriend CC Sabathia quickly last year, it made me wonder if Mike Cameron really is a "social butterfly" in the grand scheme of MLB.

Cameron seems like one of those guys who "goes out of his way" in the clubhouse to get along with all sorts of players. He also does not seem to be what you would call a "typical judgmental guy" you'd find in tightly knit cliques in Major League clubhouses. There have been nothing but positive reports from a diverse range of players throughout baseball, not just African-Americans, but also from Latin, Asian and White players.

As much as some of us dislike his strikeouts and other statistical aspects, could just his presence outweigh these things? He does seem to have friends on all clubs since he played for the Mets, Padres, Mariners, Reds and ChiSox.

Cameron also does not seem to be one of those "overly charitable" guys who insists on photo opps within the community. He just seems like the kind of guy who takes his lunch pail to work and does his thing on the field whether his play will be highlighted on ESPN or not. If he does participate in charity efforts, there have not been much reported.

Does Cameron really have the pull some believe he does with his fellow players? Is he the "Kevin Bacon" of MLB?

As I mentioned in the initial post, he does seem like the guy who "takes his lunch pail to work..." In a sense, his attitude and upbringing does reflect the people of Milwaukee well, as indicated in his "untuckem" ritual.

This untuckem ritual is based on what his father would do after work everyday. This can be reflective of what the blue-collar folks of Milwaukee do following their days of work, go on straight home, untuck their shirts and put on some relaxing clothes following a long day of work. This ritual did catch on and maybe it does parlay into a more relaxed environment following games in the clubhouse.

A couple friends of mine and I were lucky to talk to him following a game last season. We were just walking and happened to see him going to his car, and we yelled out "Mike!" or something along those lines (yeah, I know not very respectful), and he graciously came over and conversed with us for about five minutes and then autographed a picture before he left. It was one of the coolest things ever. I have a feeling that's not very common in the player's parking lot. I am glad he didn't end up in pinstripes (knock on wood).

I like the way he took Counsell under his wing last year. According to this Bugs and Cranks in depth account of a typical Counsell day:

10:45 A.M. - Meet "Mister Cameron" (Mike) in the hotel lobby. Mister Cameron makes sure Craig ate breakfast and remembered his duffle bag to bring to the ballpark. Mister Cameron gives him money to spend on Cincinnati souvenirs for his grandma. He buys a snow globe for her. What a thoughtful young man.

12:10 P.M. - Arrive at Great American Ballpark eat lunch in the clubhouse. It was Craig's turn to pick the meal. The team feasts on mini corndogs and banana splits. Mister Cameron made him pick a vegetable too - for Prince, and for "a growing boy in need of essential vitamins." At least corn on the cob is fun to eat.

I'm a big fan of Mike Cameron as a player, and I'm glad that he is considered a good clubhouse guy.

However, I met him once in Minneapolis and he really made me feel stupid, so I'm not that big of a fan of him as a person.

i've met him a couple times, and he is a really nice guy...when he was hurt in 2007 and with the padres, i was getting autographs at the padres hotel, and cameron was the last one out...my freind and i both got him on a card, and all of the people there (who were dealers) kept giving him things, and he signed every one of them...one guy handed him over 12 photos, and i couldn't believe that he signed every one...he was very personable, and other times i've seen him with the brewers, he has been the same way...i've always been a big cameron fan...

However, I met him once in Minneapolis and he really made me feel stupid, so I'm not that big of a fan of him as a person.
Elaborate?
Seriously. You can't just yadda yadda yadda over the part of the story that shapes your perception of his character.

Seriously. You can't just yadda yadda yadda over the part of the story that shapes your perception of his character.
My wife and I went to Minneapolis to watch the Brewers play the Twins for a weekend series last year. On Sunday morning before the last game we were about the leave our hotel to have breakfast and then head to the Metrodome. I then noticed that Jeff Suppan and Billy Castro were standing right behind me. Being a 28 year old lifelong Brewer fan that had never met a player, I was very excited and felt like a 12 year old little leaguer.

My wife went up to Suppan and Castro and asked for their autographs, mostly because I was too nervous, and wasn't really sure if they wanted to be bothered. Thankfully they were very nice and signed the autographs then had a little conversation w/ us. After that we decided to stick around the lobby and wait and see if more players were coming out. In the next half hour or so, most of the players and Uecker, Melvin and Ash came through the lobby. All of them were very nice, we wished some of the players good luck and my wife got a few more autographs and even got to tell Prince Fielder that she loved him. Which he thought was very funny. During this my wife kept telling me to go get one of there autographs, I really didn't want to, and felt kind of nervous about it. Then when I saw Weeks and Cameron walking by I finally grew a pair, and went up to Rickie and asked if he had a second to sign his autograph, he was very nice and signed it. Then I asked Cameron and he got really mad, and told me this is the worst hotel he's ever stayed at, and something else which I don't remember, then scribbled something that didn't resemble his autograph at all.

At the time I was very embarresed, especially since it was in front of a few other players and Brewers people, and I thought that it might have ruined the whole experience. But after that initial embarresment wore off, I realized how cool it was that we got to meet 20-30 other players, and that everybody else was so nice to us. He might have been having a bad day, but I think that is no way to treat people, and am no longer a fan of him as a person. However, because he is one heck of a centerfielder, I'm glad he is a Brewer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can't imagine how cranky I would be if people continually came up to me and asked for autographs. I'm actually more impressed by the ones that handle it well than I am unimpressed by the ones that handle it poorly. He may have just had a bad night... I can't say, as I've never met him.

Archived