Brewer Fanatic

Hoffman to Brewers, 1 year for $6 mil plus $1.5 mil in incentives

joepepsi

Thanks And That.

I had the salary figure down I just didn't have it separted so nicely.

I also agree with you that the Cameron deal makes to much sense for the Yankees for it not to happen, however if it does happen the Brewers better make them pay dearly for him because his veteran leadership will be sorely missed in the clubhouse, outfield and batting order if the deal does go down.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely feel free to start a thread on weird contract clauses. (Watch... we'll get three and we'll have to merge. That's OK. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif)

A thread on Milwaukee's attractiveness as a destination for players would certainly be appropriate, too. I would have split that discussion out of this thread had the post that prompted that discussion been of decent quality.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Interesting to see there is no option. Is there such a thing as a club/player option? Where the two sides each have an opportunity to play or pass.

Also, the incentives kick in if Hoffman finishes 35 games. So, barring an injury, this is most likely a $7.5 million contract.

Not exactly. The incentives start to kick in at 35 games finished. He doesn't get the full $1.5 unless he finishes 52 games which he's done only once since 2002. He's probaly a lock for $7 million which is okay, but remember this market is off from what it was last year. I like that it's only one year. I think Villanueva should be groomed to take over in 2010 by being the 8th inning guy.

Interesting to see there is no option. Is there such a thing as a club/player option? Where the two sides each have an opportunity to play or pass.

Also, the incentives kick in if Hoffman finishes 35 games. So, barring an injury, this is most likely a $7.5 million contract.

Not exactly. The incentives start to kick in at 35 games finished. He doesn't get the full $1.5 unless he finishes 52 games which he's done only once since 2002. He's probaly a lock for $7 million which is okay, but remember this market is off from what it was last year. I like that it's only one year. I think Villanueva should be groomed to take over in 2010 by being the 8th inning guy.

Ah, Thanks! That makes more sense.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

It is pretty sad that our highest paid player is Suppan. I would think that Prince would get closer to 10 mil in arby instead of 7.5. Look at Howard last year.

I do not think that this is overpaying for Hoffman at all. He saved almost saved half the of the Padres wins last year. I really like this move.

It is pretty sad that our highest paid player is Suppan. I would think that Prince would get closer to 10 mil in arby instead of 7.5. Look at Howard last year.

I do not think that this is overpaying for Hoffman at all. He saved almost saved half the of the Padres wins last year. I really like this move.

Howard had an MVP and ROY under his belt and was coming off a year where he hit 47 HRs with 136 rbis

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

A thread on Milwaukee's attractiveness as a destination for players would certainly be appropriate, too. I would have split that discussion out of this thread had the post that prompted that discussion been of decent quality.

Which post are you looking at?

Back to Hoffman...I agree that Hoffman and Sheets would make for a nice off-season. I still think there might be some bargains out there in the next few weeks.

Solid signing. I just hope the Brewers don't retire his number if he plays here for two years.
If we make the playoffs (and hopefully World Series) with him being a major part, then I hope they do http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I like the signing...it's a relatively low risk contract for the Brewers. If he's great and they have to pay him a little bit extra, then so what? I also like that it creates a bit of depth and the team doesn't have to go into spring training and have a "closer competition" or something.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Players would prefer to live in a warmer climate year round"

They do. They live in AZ, Cali, or Florida in the winter and in Milwaukee, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, etc. during the summer. It's less to do with weather and more to do with the fact that Milwaukee is a small town with little to do (for a guy in his 20's with millions in the bank - I happen to like MKE).

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

People who are doom and gloom might be forgetting that just about every hitter outside of Hardy underperformed last year.
Isn't it just as likely that about every hitter outside of Hardy overperformed previous to last year? I'm not saying I disagree with you, I felt like the core offense players underperformed last year too. But really, is it smart to assume Braun and Fielder are 150+ *OPS+ hitters as they were in 2007, and not 128's, as they were in 2008? Or Corey Hart is a consistent 126 *OPS+ guy like he was in 2007? Or that Weeks is something more than a league average OPS guy?

Isn't it just as likely these were exceptionally mature hitters for their age when they arrived in the Milwaukee and now the league has caught up to them?

People who are doom and gloom might be forgetting that just about every hitter outside of Hardy underperformed last year.
Isn't it just as likely that about every hitter outside of Hardy overperformed previous to last year?
Sure that's definitely possible. I should have clarified. Every starting hitter outside Hardy failed to meet pre-season projections (PECOTA, etc).

TH's most recent blog mentions that Hoffman's agent said "He has friends on the team who have told him it's a great place to play."

This could primarily be the type of PR statement you expect to see after a signing - reading into it a bit more, do you think this could refer to not only TGJ but also Mike Cameron?

Purely speculative, but it'd be interesting if having Cameron on the team helped convince Hoffman to sign with Milwaukee.

They do. They live in AZ, Cali, or Florida in the winter and in Milwaukee, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, etc. during the summer. It's less to do with weather and more to do with the fact that Milwaukee is a small town with little to do (for a guy in his 20's with millions in the bank - I happen to like MKE).

I agree with you to a point. I just think regardless of what there is to do Chicago, Boston, and Detroit also have been better places to play in terms of winning in the past. Hopefully that changes, but there's a reason free agents don't come to Milwaukee when dollars are similar/Brewers over pay. I think the current management team will change that, but to compare Milwaukee to the cities you mentioned isn't quite fair IMO.

For a guy in your 20's with millions in the bank, what city would you prefer to live in year round?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

JJ,

I was only talking about weather. It seemed like that was the determining factor according to you - maybe I misread your post - but there are plenty of cold weather places that sign free agents. The next question is "why are they able to?" To me, winning and payroll are the big factors. Stuff to do in the city may have an impact but if you're married with kids one place is the same as the next - especially if the wife and kids don't make the move with you.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was only talking about weather. It seemed like that was the determining factor according to you - maybe I misread your post - but there are plenty of cold weather places that sign free agents. The next question is "why are they able to?" To me, winning and payroll are the big factors. Stuff to do in the city may have an impact but if you're married with kids one place is the same as the next - especially if the wife and kids don't make the move with you.

I thought I emphasized in previous posts that given the lack of winning and the weather Milwaukee is not on the top of the lists of free agents. I apologize if I didn't. I just think that free agents (established guys) will not put Milwaukee near the top of their list unless Milwaukee overpays for them. I guess if you look at warmer weather teams they seem to be able to bring in established players even though their team may have not had winning seasons. I hope that clarifies it and makes more sense.

For those of you who are saying we're paying above market could you please tell me why. Frankly I thought we'd have to pay much more. Sure he's 41 but he's shown no signs of losing his effectiveness (30 of 34 saves). Also it's a 1 year deal with an option so we're not exposed long term. Gagne was much more suspect and he got $10 Mil. Cordero had poorer numbers and he got close to $12 Mil.. I just don't see how this deal is above market.

First off, great signing!!

Second, I hope there's still enough money to sign another starter, as beyond our starting five (including McClung), we don't have any insurance when someone gets hurt.

Finally, I'd guess that Melvin offered Hoffman two choices. A two-year deal with more guaranteed, but less per year, and this incentive laden one-year deal, and Hoffman chose the latter. Again, just a guess, but from all of the reports saying they'd need to add an option or a second year, I'd think something like this had to have occurred.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I only caught it after the fact, but apparently Keith Law ripped the Hoffman signing as a mistake on 1070 here in Madison. I'll be interested to see if he writes anything on it.

Edit: After hearing a playback, he describes the idea of Hoffman being an effective closer to be "delusional" because of the beneficial environment he was playing in previously, as well as losses in velocity. These issues have been discussed here ad nauseum, so I'm not going to pay Keith Law much mind just for coming up with something "sizzling" to say on the radio.

Archived