Brewer Fanatic

Hoffman to Brewers, 1 year for $6 mil plus $1.5 mil in incentives

joepepsi
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So can all of the "nobody wants to come to Milwaukee" bickering finally end now?

Not until Milwaukee starts being one of the places players want to go. It's nothing against Milwaukee, but that's just reality IMO. Most players would prefer to live in warmer climates, teams that have won over time, and teams that over time also are willing to pay market value. It's not to say Milwaukee will never get guys as this proves. If Gagne didn't have all his issues last off-season and Hoffman was five years younger, they never end up in Milwakee. Regardless I like the signing. I think Hoffman has at least another year left in him and I think maybe more importantly he'll still be in the NL where he is very familiar with hitters.

This is great news. Good to hear.

On a side note, doesn't this warrant its own topic? It's a bit annoying to navigate such a large, disjointed thread, and I would think the biggest free agent signing of the off-season deserves more attention than to be tacked on at the end of this one. Or is that how we roll now?

Great signing. Hoffman was my preference for the team's closer of those avaiable this offseason, so it's nice to see the Brewers make it happen. The money isn't going to break their backs, or at least it shouldn't.

wow, as pessimistic myself and many on the board were yesterday, mark a ponied up and made it happen.

I'm sorry to nitpick, but I'm not a big fan of having Mark Attanasio glorified every time the team makes a seemingly solid deal. Unless I missed something, why would we assume that he ponied up to make this happen? We've known for a while that Melvin has some money to play with, and hopefully he still has enough left to address other needs.

As others have noted, hopefully this is the first move of a few to address all of the team's needs.

players would prefer to live in warmer climates
It's pretty warm in Milwaukee for most of the baseball season last time I checked. Sure, it's cold in April, but the rest of the season is pretty ideal. Plus, you get to play indoors for the first month in a heated stadium so I don't think the weather is as big of an issue as people make it. It's not like we're asking him to live here during the offseason. For me, there's nothing better than summer in Milwaukee because it doesn't get so damn hot that often like it does in the South.

We've known for a while that Melvin has some money to play with, and hopefully he still has enough left to address other needs.

As others have noted, hopefully this is the first move of a few to address all of the team's needs.

Speaking of....

Anyone have any idea how much we have left to spend not including Arby raises (obviously this directly affects how much we can spend on FAs)?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

If you consider that Fuentes went for just under $9 per season, I think this is a good deal. Hoffman will be motivated to get to 600 and I'd be happy to see him do it in one season. Obviously, that would be asking near record setting pace, but hey why not dream. This really gives us quite a bit more flexibility. I can't imagine that we'd waste our time going to see Cordero now. He won't want to play here if he's guaranteed second fiddle.

This signing makes me think about that great article written last winter re. Gywnn and Hoff at bat at the end of 2007.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3243227

Formerly Andersoc420

It's pretty warm in Milwaukee for most of the baseball season last time I checked. Sure, it's cold in April, but the rest of the season is pretty ideal. Plus, you get to play indoors for the first month in a heated stadium so I don't think the weather is as big of an issue as people make it. It's not like we're asking him to live here during the offseason. For me, there's nothing better than summer in Milwaukee because it doesn't get so damn hot that often like it does in the South.

Players would prefer to live in a warmer climate year round. This gives them the opportunity to be able to have their family stay close. Most players that play for the Brewers don't have their families live in Wisconsin year round and thus either are away from their family during the school year or have to switch their kids in different schools.

From what I know, it is a big issue. Milwaukee doesn't have any 'wow' factors. Players are quite happy going through the Brewers system, but when push comes to shove the Brewers will most likely lose those players eventually or hope they fall in love with the city. Getting free agents to buy into moving their family to Milwaukee usually won't work. This means they'll be away from their families February through May/June and August through September. Obviously those months all depend on school districts, but it is a significant amount of time to be away from family.

I appreciate you 'checked' last time TuesdaysWithRillo, but Milwaukee doesn't have that same appeal you may think it does. I lived in Wisconsin for 23 years and I can tell you right now I can see exactly why players don't want to move there. Young guys coming up through the system really don't mind, but getting guys from other climates to come to Milwaukee isn't easy. Since you're comparing this to yourself and what you like in the summer, would you rather be with your family or away from your family (let's say you have a few children -- no clue if you do or not) while your kids are growing up? The key for the Brewers is to continue to get guys like Braun to buy into Milwaukee. Established guys are more likely to pass on Milwaukee unless they get paid more or have their opportunities otherwise limited.

players would prefer to live in warmer climates

I get the feeling, from reading this thread, that many people that live hear don't fully appreciate the negative views that people who have never lived in Milwaukee have about the city. Not just ballplayers, but people in general.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I get the feeling, from reading this thread, that many people that live hear don't fully appreciate the negative views that people who have never lived in Milwaukee have about the city. Not just ballplayers, but people in general.

It's not just the city, but also the midwest in general. I know several people down here that would stay in a warm climate and never receive another pay raise or take a pay cut instead of moving to MN, WI, MI, etc. The city doesn't help anything either. Milwaukee just doesn't rank very high on the maps of players. You can look at the Milwaukee Bucks as another example. The two teams don't have the tradition or a hard salary cap in their leagues that the Packers do.

I do wonder how much money Doug saved by doing this now rather than 1-2 months ago. I bet he saved a couple million bucks. I only thought 6-7.5 was a little high because Fuentes is only getting 8.5 next year, is in the prime of his career, and had a much better year last year.

Overall it isn't a bad deal at all.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Love it. Future HOFer ending his career in Brewer Blue.

As far as the "Milwaukee" issues, I think another poster (sorry, dont' remember who) hit it on the head. The locals don't have the vantage point that people who have never lived here have. (Granted I live in Janesville, but used to work in Milwaukee).

Milwaukee has a lot of charm and locales and events that the locals come to appreciate and enjoy, but compared to other cities, there isn't anything you can do in Milwaukee that simply can't be done anywhere else. It's not a bad town, it's just not got anything that's a huge draw.

It also looks like it is $6M plus 1.5M in incentives which makes it even safer.

btw, just gotta say again thanks for starting this site. I read the post about this on Haudricourts blog and if I had to deal with the posters over at that site on a regular basis I just wouldn't bother talking Brewers. So much ignorance.

Players would prefer to live in a warmer climate year round. This gives them the opportunity to be able to have their family stay close. Most players that play for the Brewers don't have their families live in Wisconsin year round and thus either are away from their family during the school year or have to switch their kids in different schools.
And most players DO live in warmer climates year around. Just because they play ball in Milwaukee doesn't mean they can't live in a warmer climate during winter!! So obviously, their families don't live here year round. The school year takes up about 3 months of the baseball season. 2 months at the beginning and 1 at the end. If you take into account that the player is on the road approximately 1/2 of that time, the player is missing their families for 1 month at the beginning of the year, and 2 weeks at the end of the year more than if they were close to home. The school year really doesn't have a bearing on anything because unless the player plans on living here, they are not going to switch schools for 3 months. And during the 4 month summer months, the family can live in Milwaukee, or commute back and forth. I'm sure players can afford to buy multiple plane tickets.

EDIT: And the Milwaukee Bucks are a totally different animal. They play here in the WINTER. When it is cold!! Last I checked, it isn't usually -10 during the summer here.

$6.5M seems to be overpaying a bit, but at this point I don't really care.

I think it is pretty fair -- I wonder if the option is his, ours or mutual.

I think this bolsters our whole pitching staff from top to bottom.

Tom H says it is a club option at the bottom of his blog.

We've known for a while that Melvin has some money to play with, and hopefully he still has enough left to address other needs.

Speaking of....

Anyone have any idea how much we have left to spend not including Arby raises (obviously this directly affects how much we can spend on FAs)?

If I'm not mistaken, not including Bush, Fielder, Hardy, Hart, McClung, and Weeks, this brings the total payroll to $56mil. I'm thinking the total payroll will cap out around $80mil. I'm terrible at estimating Arby settlements. However, it does not appear that there would be much room (assuming a $80mil payroll) to sign a starter (much less resign Sheets for about the $10 - $15 mil he will probably end up with).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Nice signing. I think the Brewers made a fair offer, most likely higher than any other team was willing to go, but still fair all around. They also have an option for next year if he performs well. Still would like to add another bullpen arm or two, which shouldn't cost too much with so many free agents still left looking for work. And of course, they need to add another starter, but at least the Brewers have the closer role taken care of.

If I'm not mistaken, not including Bush, Fielder, Hardy, Hart, McClung, and Weeks, this brings the total payroll to $56mil. I'm thinking the total payroll will cap out around $80mil. I'm terrible at estimating Arby settlements. However, it does not appear that there would be much room (assuming a $80mil payroll) to sign a starter (much less resign Sheets for about the $10 - $15 mil he will probably end up with).
I would agree with that assessment. The Brewers would have to trade a Bill, Mike Cameron, or even a Prince Fielder in order to get a legitimate starter. I don't think however that Sheets is going to get anywhere near $15M, I think he will be lucky to get $10M at this point.

Well, at least we got somebody. Like it better than Gagne signing last year but I'm still a bit skeptical. Now we can put one of Seth or CV in the rotation. I'd feel alot better about this team if we got another starter tho.

I have the Brewers at around $75 mil right now, which might be a few million on the high side.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/82835a1d4eb09ddbda8991e82d86dc0f7ecfbdd.jpg

Like I've mentioned before, I still think they'll trade Cameron to the Yanks so the Yankees don't have to live through Damon playing CF. They may have another $6-7 mil to play with without trading Cam assuming the "cap" is $80 mil. If it is $85 mil, they have more than enough room to sign a good starter.

Using the Cott's baseball site I count $40.045 million that is committed for 2009. Of course that doesn't count one year deals for pre arby players that must be renewed, or any arbitration eligible players. In 2008 they entered the season right around $80 million.

Archived