Brewer Fanatic

2009 Closer -- Hoffman to Brewers

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather pay a little more money to get K-Rod, I think he seems like a better bet to keep up his dominance over a 3-4 year contract.
Have you checked out K-Rod's declining performance recently? (Most notably, the drop in velocity)

I know he just set a record for most "saves", but if you are willing to accept that "saves" is a made up stat - there are plenty of red flags around K-Rod.

I kind of agree with logan...we do need a "lock the door" type of guy, especially with Torres not coming back (not that he necessarily fit into that mold anyway). I am not sure if Fuentes is that kind of guy either. Seems like looking at his numbers, he was pretty good, but not a lights out type

What is Fuentes stats don't you like? His K rate is awesome, his opponent OPS over the last 3 years is 620. He only gave up 17 homers over the last 3 years, covering 189 innings. To me, his numbers are amazing considering he pitched half his games at Coors Field. I think he's the best closer on the market.

Its a great year to need a closer. I think it might be a good idea to take advatage of that and get one locked into a multi-year deal this offseason.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Its a great year to need a closer. I think it might be a good idea to take advatage of that and get one locked into a multi-year deal this offseason.

I agree completely. If Fuentes isn't the best closer on the market, he's almost certainly the best one relative to price.

I'd rather pay a little more money to get K-Rod

KRod is reportedly looking for something in the 75 million dollar range, so it certainly wouldn't be a little more money.

Ken Rosenthal says that the Cubs got Gregg because they do not want Wood on even a one year 9 million dollar deal he would get in arbitration, so they are not likely to offer him arbitration. The Sun Times backs this up saying that if the Cubs feel Wood will accept arbitration they will not offer it. So I dont think Woods type A status will matter.

Also Kevin Towers says that an arbitration offer to Hoffman is unlikely. We already knew that, but thought I might as well throw that out there, in case some people still are not sure.

I think it's safe to say that any of the four would upgrade the bullpen.

Wood is supposedly looking for a 3-4 year deal. He had a nice season last year, but with his injury history, I'd pass unless it was a great value.

Hoffman would be a decent choice. He wouldn't cost any picks and would probably be the cheapest of the four. However, he is 41, and you have to wonder how much he has left in the tank especially when he couldn't come to terms with the Padres.

KRod is looking for huge money and with some red flags surrounding him (drop in velocity), I'd pass unless his price dropped dramatically.

Fuentes is probably the best closer on the market for the money he'll cost. IMO, he'd be well worth the investment if the Brewers are looking to remain competitive year-in, year-out. The down side is he'll cost the Brewers their 1st. It's not the biggest of deals when they should have between 2-4 extra picks from the loss of Sheets and Sabbathia.

However, he is 41, and you have to wonder how much he has left in the tank especially when he couldn't come to terms with the Padres.
Not signing with the Padres has nothing to do with them thinking he has nothing left. The owner of the Padres is going through a divorce and there are going to be big time payroll cuts in San Diego. That's why they didn't offer arby, for fear he would take it when they're trying to cut payroll.

Trevor Hoffman and Kerry Wood have been my favorites for the closer role as soon as I learned they would be available. However, you have to wonder how this will effect the FA value of both Rodriguez and Fuentes. The closer market is pretty strong already, with many pointing out that there are more legit closers available in FA and trades that there are teams looking to acquire one. Now that Hoffman and Wood won't cost the team that signs them a draft pick, you have to believe that neither Rodriguez or Fuentes is going to get the deal they originally thought they would heading into the offseason.

I still would sign Fuentes. His numbers have been consistently solid, and I'm not worried about the team losing the draft pick since they stand to gain a few. Rodriguez I'm just not sold on, as his numbers just don't look as dominant as his reputation may suggest.

I would: 1. Offer Hoffman 2/12 with a ceiling of 2/15. If that's a no-go 2. Offer Fuentes 3/30 with a ceiling of 3/35. 3. Offer Wood 1/10 knowing he'd be pretty unlikely to accept. Otherwise I would use McClung if there were no trades available. I want no part of Wood on a long-term deal, nor K-Rod. Both those guys are injuries waiting to happen.

How many teams are out their looking for closers? Obviously the Mets are going to get one of the big names. Who else would we likely be bidding against? I like our chances to land either Wood or Hoffman and I feel like each solidifies our bullpen and give us flexibility with McClung if he is needed to be in the rotation.

I dont think Wood will get a 4 year deal, unless he is taking significantly less per year. I would not mind getting him on a two year deal, with a vesting option for a third year based on innings pitched. Wood has the highest ceiling of the four to me, because there is a chance, if healthy he could switch to the rotation in the future.

I would definitely like to sign Wood to a 2 yr contract. He has the highest upside of any of the relievers and we dont have to give up a draft pick. I dont understand why anyone would want to count on McClung when he hasnt shown that he can throw strikes consistently.

I dont understand why anyone would want to count on McClung when he hasnt shown that he can throw strikes consistently.

Why would you want to count on Wood when he hasn't shown that he can stay healthy consistently?

I'm not a fan of McClung in the closer's role either. IMO, Fuentes should be the priority of the four. He has the least question marks and should be the best bang for their buck. But, I can see a case for any of the four. I guess it'll depend on specific salary figures and the desire to play in Milwaukee compared with other potential suitors.

I dont understand why anyone would want to count on McClung when he hasnt shown that he can throw strikes consistently.
I agree completely about McClung. He had a great last month but he scares me as a closer. His WHIP as a reliever last year was around 1.4 with 71 hits and walks in 41 innings. That does not comfort me. Compare that to Hoffman who had a WHIP of 1.03 and has not had a WHIP higher than 1.18 in 14 years.

I am sure that Wood's injury history will be taken into acount by clubs offering him deals. Wood will be cheaper than Fuentes, and in my opinion the payoff could be higher. I can definitley see prefering Hoffman, and Fuentes becasue they are safer, but you will be paying for that security.

I like the idea of Abreu and Wood. Then deal Cameron to the Yanks for Kennedy and Cabrera.

Cabrera can be a decent 4th outfielder, replacing Hart late in games.

1.Hart/Cabrera- With Cabrera only facing better RH pitching.

2.Abreu

3.Braun

4.Fielder

5.Hardy

6.Hall/Blalock (for Suppan +cash)

7.Weeks

8.Kendall

Sheets (accepts arby- my prediction)

Yo

Parra

Bush

Kennedy/McClung

Bullpen: Wood, Villanueva, Shouse, Stetter, McClung/Kennedy, Riske, and f/a set up man.

Not bad.

I like the idea of Abreu and Wood. Then deal Cameron to the Yanks for Kennedy and Cabrera.

Cabrera can be a decent 4th outfielder, replacing Hart late in games.

Our defense just took a nose dive. Abreu isn't as good as Hart is in LF or RF and Hart isn't as good as Cameron is in CF. The offense that we would be gaining with Abreu would be offset by his defense. I would rather take on Dunn over Abreu with Dunn you can at least move him to 1B and trade Fielder in the 2009 off season and get a stud young pitcher in return.

Archived