Brewer Fanatic

2009 Closer -- Hoffman to Brewers

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hoffman is a Type A free agent. If the Padres offer him arbitration, he'll cost the signing team their top available draft pick. Is he (or Wood) worth the Brewers' first rounder? Yah, probably.
Thanks for the heads up. I did not know if he would cost picks but like you said I dont know how much that changes things since we need a better closer than our in house options in my mind.

Hoffman is a Type A free agent. If the Padres offer him arbitration, he'll cost the signing team their top available draft pick. Is he (or Wood) worth the Brewers' first rounder? Yah, probably.

Assuming that Sheets and CC are picked up by teams that would give up a first rounder, I supposed it's not that big a deal. But I don't like the idea of the Cubs getting our first rounder. Yuck.

10-13M per year for Wood is a lot to pay a closer with an injury history.

Are the Padres going to offer him arbitration though? From what has been said, I doubt Hoffman would want to go back to the Pads but if he gets something like $10 mil /1 year in Arby's, what's to stop him from accepting it? The Pads wouldn't want to pay that contract and would be forced to trade him for a bag of balls, no?

Are the Padres going to offer him arbitration though? From what has been said, I doubt Hoffman would want to go back to the Pads but if he gets something like $10 mil /1 year in Arby's, what's to stop him from accepting it? The Pads wouldn't want to pay that contract and would be forced to trade him for a bag of balls, no?

I had the same thought, and I wonder about Wood as well, although to a much lesser extent.

If the Padres offered arby, I'd be stunned if Hoffman didn't accept. In the same vein, Wood has made it well known that he loves the Cubs, but he'd be leaving a much larger amount of money on the table.

I'd sign Hoffman in a heartbeat to a 2/15 type deal, I worry that Wood would be more like 3/30 or more...........no thanks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I suspect the Pads won't offer Hoffman arbitration, because he could easily get $8-10 million by accepting (which he could easily do). And they couldn't trade him, if I'm correct, because he's a 10-5 guy. The Pads don't want to get caught with a big contract, so they'll probably not offer arby for fear Hoffman could accept.

It's kind of funny that the Cubs won't be able to keep Wood because they have to pay Jason Marquis $10 million this season. I suppose there's still the possibility they bring Wood back if they can clear Marquis' salary, but it doesn't seem likely that they'll be able to find a taker.

I'd love to see the Brewers get Wood (I tossed the idea out about a page ago), but I think the odds are too good that he ends up with the Mets or with the Angels to replace K-Rod.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'd love to see the Brewers get Wood

Collectively?

Sorry...

Yeesh...I thought us Brewer fans wouldn't resort to the same toilet humor Wrigleyville does. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

If the Brewers don't land Wood, I just hope he ends up somewhere in the AL. Maybe Texas is a possibility if he wants to end his career close to home.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Wood wants a multi year deal. Unless it's structured that year 2 kicks in when he reaches say 50 innings in year 1, and so on, I'd stay away.

Juan Cruz is a better option and has better stuff than Wood anyway. If Wood goes to AZ, it's likely the D-Backs will pass on offering arby to Cruz.

Part of me wouldn't be able to reconcile how us Brewers fans ripped on the Cubs about their obsession with Kerry Wood for years, if he did sign with the Brewers.
Eh, we ripped on them pretty hard when they traded for Kendall last year and that turned out pretty well for the Brewers. I think Wood has quite a few good years left, I would sign him for 2 years with a 3rd year option in a heartbeat. I will be curious to see what his $/yr demands are. I think he is unrealistic expecting to get $10M a year but then again it only takes one GM to make him worth that much.

I don't think there's any question about Wood still be a quality pitcher - and worth the money he's going to get - so long as he stays healthy. That's the crux of the matter, however, who wants to risk $10+ million on a guy with his history of injuries.

I could see something like a two year deal - with an option if he pitches a certain number of innings. But more than that is pretty risky.

However, as John Briggs noted, I would rather risk it on a guy like cruz for 1/2 the price.

However, as John Briggs noted, I would rather risk it on a guy like cruz for 1/2 the price.
I think Cruz is going to get a big time contract from someone.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The one thing I like in a closer....throw strikes. I'm still holding out hope for the future HOFer, as opposed to the former ROY, though Millwood should have been the beneficiary. And I wouldn't even touch the well-travelled Cruz-er. He's going to see a contract that is hardly commensurate with his position, as I wouldn't trust him in the 8th, let alone the ninth.

Archived