Brewer Fanatic

2009 Closer -- Hoffman to Brewers

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One year with an option for Hoffman makes sense. I have to believe if there were teams out there offering more than one year, he would have taken it by now. Any 41 year old comes with some risk. I also don't see any thing more than $5-6 million per year.

At this point, I see Hoffman as adequate but nothing to really get too thrilled about. I think Villanueva could do as good or better in the closer role, but this would add depth to an area that was sorely lacking it.

IMO, if they can sign Hoffman and Sheets, it will have been a great offseason. I'd say they'd at least be as good and probably better going into this season than they were going into last season.

Let's get this deal done!

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

i agree, while at the beginning of the off season i was hoping that sheets would go elsewhere and was content getting the 2 draft picks, it has become apparent that even with sheets injury history he is by far the best starter on the market. Also getting a veteran closer who only blew 4 saves last year would be another coo for melvin.

And That wrote:

If/when the Brewers trade Cameron, they'll have enough money to make two good additions to the bullpen, and still add a starter.

I would say that, at this point, the Brewers are stuck with Cameron and his $10M contract for 2009. The Yankees were the only suitor for him at that price tag and the Yankees (after signing Tex) have a glut of OF (Damon, Nady, Matsui, Swisher, Melky, Gardner).

I say our bullpen would be fine with a low-cost Hoffman (1 year with an option) for closer and then try to bring back Sheets with a 2 year deal ($24-30M range).

I'm fine with this. Fills a need and Hoffman although 41 had a good year in 2008. I personally can't complain with a guy who converts 30 of 34 saves with an era under 4 and a WHIP of 1.037. Sign him to a 2 year deal. Then try to lure Sheets back or go get Looper or Garland. If Doug gets that done I am fine with this offseason.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

And what role is David Riske gonna play in our bullpen?

In the words of Earl Weaver, "you're role is to warm up when I tell you, and go pitch when I tell you."
That Weaver quote is gold! I think a healthy David Riske could be used with Villanueva and Stetter as setup men for Hoffman.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

It will be disappointing to lose out on Hoffman to the Dodgers. MLB.com also has an article about this,

""We're talking parameters of a deal with both teams," Rick Thurman of the Beverly Hills Sports Council told MLB.com in a telephone interview. "In the next 24-to-48 hours I think we'll have something done. If we don't have a deal done we'll have a pretty solid idea of where he's going. But I think we'll have a deal done."

--Looks like it's coming down to whether Hoffman would rather stay on the West Coast which is what he wants vs still being a closer, which is also what he wants. At his age, it could go either way.

Also, it was Ken Macha who actually called Melvin to get permission to give Hoffman a call.

"...when new Brewers manager Ken Macha learned that general manager Doug Melvin was talking recently with Hoffman's agent, he asked Melvin for permission to call Hoffman himself. Hoffman was vacationing with his family in Hawaii, but returned that call on Saturday.

"I gave him a compliment on his career, and his professionalism," Macha said Tuesday. "A guy with Hoffman's experience and track record, what he's done over the years, would bring a lot of confidence to your team," Macha said. "This guy is a tremendous individual, and he could have a great influence on the young guys on our staff."

Also mentioned the following,

"The Brewers also want to add a pitcher to their starting rotation, but Macha, for his part, believes the priority is a top-notch closer."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...otstove2008&fext=.jsp

I liked this line from the MLB.com piece:

"Hoffman, 41, is intent on reaching the 600-save plateau and won't sign anywhere if he doesn't have the chance to be the closer."

That does seem like the big stumbling block, in terms of him going to LA.

Brewers make sense for Hoffman too. Good place to pad stats, decent money, much more competitive than the Padres, likely guaranteed closer post. I think they are using LA as just negotiation tool. I'd be surprised if this didn't happen soon. If we bring back Sheets, I'll be pretty happy about our offseason and optimistic about being competitive this year. If we can pull 84-88 wins next year, I'll be happy. Obviously not as fun as this year, but I'd be pleased.
Formerly Andersoc420

I think they are using LA as just negotiation tool.

I thought of this too as soon as I read of LA's parallel interest to ours. Well, either that or vice versa. I hope this all gets decided soon - if the Brewers don't sign Hoffman, I have a feeling Melvin will trade for (and overpay for) a veteran closer.

I would think Broxton will close in LA. So I don't know why Hoffman would go to LA if he can't close. Hopefully that will make the Brewers the front runners.
I actually think this exactly why Hoffman's agent told Tom Huadicourt they were "working to make Hoffman a Brewer" He will close in Milwaukee which hopefully trumps geography.

Archived