Brewer Fanatic

2009 Closer -- Hoffman to Brewers

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, assuming Wood signs with the Indians, this is a perfect day in my world. The 2 guys I wanted least are gone. I'd be pretty happy with Hoffman, Fuentes or Putz (depending on what is given up). As far as Morrow, if you're trying to include him with Putz, I think you're talking Prince at that point. I'd do that in a second. Morrow is awesome.

I wonder if this means the Brewers feel that Sabathia is not going to sign with them. Until they know what's going to happen with Sabathia, they really can't make a move on Fuentes. It looks like waiting around for Sabathia has cost them a chance at Wood, but they still might have a chance with Fuentes or Hoffman. I would prefer Fuentes who is younger, but would cost more.

Melvin is suppose to meet with Sabathia agents again later this week, if Melvin feels like it's time to move on, then they could quickly turn their attention to Fuentes or Hoffman, if they haven't sign with another team yet. The last I read, Fuentes was looking for a 3 year deal for $30 million. I'm pretty sure Melvin wouldn't be interested in paying that much. Of course, everything is on hold until the Sabathia situation is decided, one way or another.

3 years 30 million is reasonable for Fuentes who is a better option for a closer than Gagne who was making the same amount of money last year for the Crew. Fuentes > Gagne. To get a quality closer these days for 10 million or less is a good option.

Get Fuentes. Trade for a Starter, who knows but I think we'll be seeing a deal with Seattle before the end of the offseason. and get another left handed bat.

Trade Hart + to get the Pitcher and then go out and purchase Abreu.

I would be satisfied with that offseason.

Fuentes, while nice, is a little too high-end for me.

For the record, wasn't Fuentes talking 3/30 million when KRod was still talking 75 million? Now that the closer market is saturated and Rodriguez signed for less money than Cordero did last year, I think his demands might be somewhat lower.

It's interesting that the MLB.com report comes from Adam McCalvy, who has previously reported that Melvin intends to address other areas first before upgrading the closer role (which I disagreed with, so hopefully his initial assessment was wrong). I think this makes a ton of sense. As others have noted, the Mets signing of K-Rod has set the market, as this year is a great opportunity to sign a legitimate closer. Fuentes, Wood, Hoffman all are perfect targets for whatever team is in need of such a pitcher, with my preferences going to Fuentes and Hoffman.

Also, I don't think people realize just how good Fuentes is, although the Cardinals and Angels may be jumping in for his services.

Which is fine by me, since as much as I like Fuentes, and have for quite some time, Trevor Hoffman has been my fave offseason target from the moment the Padres made him available.

We'll see what happens, but I think the Brewers are in a good position to land a closer right now.

Fuentes and Hoffman are still loose, and Putz, Jenks and possibly Street are available through trades - Matt Capps may also be a possibility.

The Cardinals will get somebody, and Detroit is pushing to trade for a closer, which leaves Milwaukee, and maybe the Rockies, unless they keep Street for that role.

I think Fuentes goes to St Louis, and Detroit will deal for Putz if they can. If that happens, that leaves Hoffman free, and Jenks available...somebody will land here.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/35887119.html

Hoffman is near the end of his career and probably will be looking for a one-year deal at a relatively modest price.

Fuentes is in the prime of his career and is looking for a multi-year deal for probably something close to $10 million a year. And many more teams are after Fuentes than Hoffman, so the bidding will be more fierce.

Hoffman for a couple reasons. He is cheaper with less long term risk. He does not cost a draft pick. He is also coming off a year with really good numbers except a spike in home run rate. The rest of his numbers were very good. He allows us to save money to sign a starter.

I guess it would depend on how much Fuentes would cost. If we could get him for 3 years at 8 million per we wouldn't have to worry about a closer for a few years which would be nice. And that would be a relative discount compared to recent years.

Any more than that, and I would go with Hoffman.

Melvin just noted in an interview with Homer that the Brewers would not be pursuing Hoffman, but might make a run at Fuentes. Seth McClung and Carlos Villanueva are among the internal options to close next year, although he made it sound as though next year's closer is currently not on the team.

Melvin just noted in an interview with Homer that the Brewers would not be pursuing Hoffman, but might make a run at Fuentes. Seth McClung and Carlos Villanueva are among the internal options to close next year, although he made it sound as though next year's closer is currently not on the team.
Oddly enough Jon Heyman said this morning the Brewers were among 3 teams showing interest in Hoffman. Now maybe he is just behind the times, which seems very possible with all the false reports out there, but who knows.

Archived