Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to attend Corderos session

Last time we took a flier on a Cordero who was down on his luck (yeah, not as bad as Chad), it turned out okay. Coco was in the middle of a mediocre season following a poor season when we got him for Lee. Based on that logic I say we give him an offer immediately.
Formerly Andersoc420

Sounds like Dougie is going to drop the ball on Hoff. This is getting sickening. Why not, Just sign Cordero, he could be pretty good.

Please explain dropping the ball. All things equal and he picks the Dodgers because he wants to stay closer to home, how is that Melvin's fault. Do you really want him to offer Trevor more then he should be worth only to try to convince him to leave his comfort zone?

As for Cordero, if he looks healthy I would certainly sign him to an incentives deal as an insurance policy for whom ever we have closing similar to Jeff Weaver last year.

in my opinion, Cordero isn't that great, even when healthy. This seems like a Mark Prior kind of deal. High reward, low risk, but really probably won't work out at all.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I have voiced my interest in Cordero in a couple of posts now, but I feel we have a better shot at getting Hoffman....there's too many other teams interested in Cordero, and we're 1 of 2 teams interested in Hoffman. I'd hate to lose out on any/all of our FA attempts. Get the deal done with Hoffman and what falls after that falls after that.....

• 3 weeks later...
Has there been any update yet on Cordero's session? Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I can't find anything. Maybe there's nothing to report, he and his agent will say he felt/looked great, and teams that attended will be mum about their free agent interest and say he's "one of many directions we are interested in evaulating" yada yada. However, I'm now kind of wondering if we haven't heard anything because maybe he didn't look very impressive? I assume he could get a better offer if healthy, but I'd love to see him get a shot at the set-up role, and if all goes well he steps in as closer next year. Pie in the sky?

all i've heard is that Washington has a renewed interest in him, and all things considered, he would certainly have a better chance to close games in Washington than Milwaukee.

guess i don't put too much consideration into any team watching a demonstration throw, just because it doesn't take a whole lot to send a local scout to do a report on it. that Milwaukee was represented i see mostly as due diligence than for a strong interest in signing him.

Has there been any update yet on Cordero's session? Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I can't find anything. Maybe there's nothing to report, he and his agent will say he felt/looked great, and teams that attended will be mum about their free agent interest and say he's "one of many directions we are interested in evaulating" yada yada. However, I'm now kind of wondering if we haven't heard anything because maybe he didn't look very impressive? I assume he could get a better offer if healthy, but I'd love to see him get a shot at the set-up role, and if all goes well he steps in as closer next year. Pie in the sky?

The most recent thing from the Brewers perspective is from TH's blog from the 17th:

Ash said the Brewers were still discussing whether to put in an offer to the agent of former Washington closer Chad Cordero, who held a throwing session in California last week for interested clubs. Cordero is coming off shoulder surgery and is not expected to be ready to pitch until a month or two into the season.

"It's a risk decision," said Ash. "It's a matter of how much (financial) risk you want to take. His agent has let it be known he's going to sign somewhere."

Otherwise, as GAME05 said, there appears to be renewed interest from Washington and mlbtraderumors.com has the Marlins and Dodgers as expressing interest in him.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/39688602.html

General manager Doug Melvin's special scouting assistant, Dick Groch, will be on hand Wednesday in California for the next throwing session by Chad Cordero

"We have interest in him," said Melvin. "This will be his first workout off the mound. We'll wait until we get the report."

Man if we picked someone like Cordero or Cruz up we could really have a nice bullpen.

From Antanasio's comments in the paper this morning regarding his concerns about the payroll, it doesn't seem likely that the Brewers will be making any additional acquisitions before the season starts.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/39798682.html

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Maybe they could get him to take a minor league deal, with some kind of guarantee that he would be up by the end or the year, or something along those lines? Maybe a deal like the one they gave Gagne, where if he's not in the majors by a certain point, he can go back to free agency.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived