Brewer Fanatic

Orlando Hudson

naivin
I don't know about his injury status, but is this a guy DM should be considering? Gold glover, been very consistent throughout his career. Not sure he'd be the lead off hitter we need, though I'd be willing to give it a try, and he would certainly appear to be an overall upgrade over Weeks - sort of an improved version of Ray Durham. I assume we would come pretty cheap in the current market.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Hudson came relatively cheap, and the Yankees are ready to offer something of value for Cameron, and the Brewers commit to Weeks in CF, then I agree Hudson would be a good target. Imo that's a lot of stuff that'd have to fall into place, though.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I like Hudson's skill set a lot. They fit needs on this Brewer team. However, there's been zero signs the Brewers are willing to make the necessary moves to create an opening at 2B like moving Weeks to CF (and unloading Cameron) or trading Weeks.

Hudson's too good to accept a platoon like situation that occurred after Durham's acquisition last year.

I'd love to add Swisher, seeing as more sources are saying he's available. We could trade them Fielder for Swisher and Hughes. Let Hart or Swisher play 1st base. It would upgrade our defense, provide salary flexibility, and add a top flight pitching prospect.

i thought that the yankees want him, but they have to move cano first

Well then, I can help them with that...Cameron for Cano...done!

NO!

I was joking. The yankees aren't going to trade Cano. I'd prefer Hudson personally, but he would cost money, not save it. If they would even consider Cameron for Cano, you make that deal in a second.

I'd love to add Swisher, seeing as more sources are saying he's available. We could trade them Fielder for Swisher and Hughes. Let Hart or Swisher play 1st base. It would upgrade our defense, provide salary flexibility, and add a top flight pitching prospect.
That deal would cripple the Brewer offense. You just can't take Fielder out and replace him with Swisher and not be severely damaged. Even if Swisher would return to his 07 form (and that's a huge if), it would leave the Brewers with just one impact bat. You can't win anything with one impact bat. If Swisher repeated his 08 season: .219/.332/.410 it would be a disaster.

It also doesn't provide anything more than minimal salary flexibility. Swisher's owed $19 million over the next 3 years including $5.3 million in 09. The difference between what Fielder will get in arby this year and what Swisher makes isn't going to get you much.

If the deal were Cameron and Fielder for Swisher, Hughes, and Nady, it would be better but still not good enough.

No the Yankees can't trade Cano because of his terrible contract. Not only would they trade Cano for Cameron they would make fun of Melvin behind his back for doing it.

Yep, he had a down year last year, but I would hardly describe his contract as terrible. He's due $25 million over the next 3 seasons - all options after that. I have certainly seen worse.

Hopefully Ryan Braun doesn't have a bad season in the next year or two or I guess his contract will render him untradeable as well ($40M+ over 5 years (2011-2015)). Braun is certainly a better hitter, but Cano also plays 2B. Their MLB careers have gotten off to very similar starts.

Cano can play 2B better than Rickie Weeks, and is 50 points higher in both AVG. and OPS. I am holding out hope on Weeks as much as the next guy, but he makes it tougher every year. Cano is an appreciably better baseball player than Rickie Weeks. Is the incremental improvement worth the additional money? Depends on the rest of the roster I suppose.

The only reason Hudson looks better than Weeks is because we're comparing his prime years to Weeks' pre-prime years. On top of that, if we signed Hudson, we'd be getting his post-prime years. We should spend our money somewhere else and keep Weeks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

you can't just ignore the numbers because he wears pinstripes and plays next to jeter...
I believe Hardy is about equal to Jeter in range probably a little bit better than Jeter though. So I don't see how that really matters. The difference between Weeks and Hardy and Cano and Jeter should be very little defensively.

The only reason Hudson looks better than Weeks is because we're comparing his prime years to Weeks' pre-prime years.
Weeks has played 4 MLB seasons (Hudson has played 6+) . When exactly is this 'prime' due to kick in? I agree Hudson is beginning to approach the tail end of his career, but his worst year in his first four seasons is roughly comparable to Weeks best (perhaps a little bit of an exaggeration), and he got better from there. As I said earlier, I am holding out hope for Weeks, but at some point that is all you're left with is hope. He has provided little indication that he will ever turn into the player everyone hoped he would be.

Orlando Hudson would provide a massive defensive upgrade (3 gold gloves. Weeks won't even get 3 gg votes in his career), he's a switch hitter, and from all indications would provide an increase in AVG, OBP, and SLG! He's a better baseball player, and would undoubtedly upgrade the position. Does that justify the extra money? Don't know. Depends how much, and the impact on the rest of the roster.

And how has Rickie measured up to his projections in the past? I'm guessing not all that favorably. An indication is something that has actually happened. A projection of things that may or may not happen that inject assumptions say he won't bring better OBP and SLG. Two careers worth of actual on-field results and performance seem to indicate he would.

Archived