Brewer Fanatic

Offseason Target: Jeff Clement

Heavens no TC.

For the uninformed, Clement is the lefty hitting catcher who was picked 3rd (ahead of Braun) in the loaded 2005 draft.

He's currently batting .271/.364/.514 for Tacoma with 16 HR and 55 RBI. Unlike Estrada, he'll take a walk too having drawn 42 already this season.

I'd guess he'll just end up being the DH in Seattle, catching a little here and there, maybe playing some 1B - like Victor Martinez does.

I don't think the Mariners have any reason to trade away a guy like him.

Quote:
I don't think the Mariners have any reason to trade away a guy like him.

Seriously, if the Brewers were willing to offer up some of the pitching staff in trade they could make this happen. Like was stated, Seattles pitching is horrible and they really don't need two starting caliber catchers. The Brewers really didn't have any more of a reason to trade Overbay than Seattle does here...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Clement's bat is good enough that he doesn't have to be a catcher. So he won't be. They could trade Johjima if they want Clement to catch, too, he's nothing special.

Sexson has been abysmal at 1B, and Vidro is garbage at DH. One of those guys who move, not the young pre-arby guy that they drafted two years ago with the third pick.

The Brewers really didn't have any more of a reason to trade Overbay than Seattle does here...

Yeah, the Brewers don't have a DH spot at their disposal. That's a huge difference.

Like was stated, Seattles pitching is horrible and they really don't need two starting caliber catchers. The Brewers really didn't have any more of a reason to trade Overbay than Seattle does here...

They have good enough arms for that park. With that big park they don't need a bunch of dominating pitchers and I'm not so sure unless we send them Bush, Sheets, or Yo that they are upgrading the pitching staff.

FWIW I saw Jeff Clement play while he was a Timber Rattler. I recall him having a good approach at the plate and good power. I think a starter for a starter not named Ben, Yovanni, Manny, Carlos, or Will would work with me.

(I also thought Matt Clement when I read this title TC.

I think a starter for a starter not named Ben, Yovanni, Manny, Carlos, or Will would work with me.

This would work for the Brewers, but to get talent you have to give up something. Suppan isn't going to get it done, not sure Cappy would even get it done. They are getting rid of a solid all around catcher those things dont come cheap.

I wonder what either side would say to Parra or Inman for Clement?

This is very interesting. Parra would be able to help out almost from the start, but his ceiling as high as Inman. Do the Marinters want to wait for Inman to get up to the bigs and risk him being injured before he gets up to the bigs?

I was thinking of Capuano or Bush when this was proposed because i feel that the Mariners are looking to compete soon, so might take a less talented SP with a major league track record.

I wouldn't give up Parra or Inman for a catcher. It takes a tremendous upgrade offensively to justify giving up a talented SP for a position player who plays 60% of the time.

As Brett said, why would SEA trade a pre-arby guy who can hit? He can be a backup for a couple years, at $350K.

A pre-arby pitcher only makes 350K

Not that expect a trade to happen,it's rare to see high level prospects traded for another high level prospect.

Three Mariner starters with 10+ starts:

Weaver: 2-8; 6.19

Baek: 3-3; 5.74

Ramirez: 5-3; 6.75

And you guys tell me they couldn't use a Capuano or a Bush with the market for starting pitching being what it is? Yes maybe the Brewers would have to include a sweetener but they do need starting pitching.

The Mariners have two outstanding OF prospects, Adam Jones, a 22 year old who has 24 HR and 81 RBI to go along with a .318 BA at AAA and Wladimir Balentin, 23, who has 21 HR and 70 RBI and a .310 BA also at AAA so they are pretty well covered to replace Ibanez and Guillen (if he opts out of his contract). I don't see them replacing Sexson at 1B until his contract runs out after next season. Broussard is a proven solid DH and 1B option as well.

Three Mariner starters with 10+ starts:

Weaver: 2-8; 6.19

Baek: 3-3; 5.74

Ramirez: 5-3; 6.75

King Felix was injured early this year and Bastista has been their best pitcher of late, plus through in Washburn and you are looking at the backend of the rotation that you posted.

And you guys tell me they couldn't use a Capuano or a Bush with the market for starting pitching being what it is? Yes maybe the Brewers would have to include a sweetener but they do need starting pitching.

I would say you are goint to have to give them another young SP or an infield stick. Beltre has not done the job and Sexson could soon be gone.

The Mariners have two outstanding OF prospects, Adam Jones, a 22 year old who has 24 HR and 81 RBI to go along with a .318 BA at AAA and Wladimir Balentin, 23, who has 21 HR and 70 RBI and a .310 BA also at AAA so they are pretty well covered to replace Ibanez and Guillen (if he opts out of his contract). I don't see them replacing Sexson at 1B until his contract runs out after next season. Broussard is a proven solid DH and 1B option as well.

Ibanex will be moved to DH and Guillen has stated he wants to stay. If the Mariners believe that Broussard is going to be a solid option at 1B to replace Sexson they will be in trouble. He is at best a platoon player. They could move Clement there and be better.

I was in the camp that wanted the former Iowa HR champ to be drafted by the Brewz. Unfortunately, he didn't make it to us, though fortunately, we didn't end up doing too bad. However, I would imagine it would take Inman+ for the former #3 pick. He was rushed the last two years by his organization and is just now coming into his own. If he can be had, however, let's take him.

Archived