Brewer Fanatic

Will Matt LaPorta be the Opening Day LF for Cleveland?

Looking at Cleveland's depth chart right now, they have David Delucci and some guy named B. Fransisco in LF, and I assume that they'll stick with Ryan Garko at 1B with Victor Martinez filling in here and there, but has anyone heard if LaPorta has a good shot at getting the opening day job? If I were them, it seems like a no brainer to go with your future because they don't look like a contender right now, but I was interested in your thoughts.

On one hand it seems like a no-brainer to go with the future, but on the other hand, why rush it if you're not a contender anyway? Kinda the boat the Brewers were in a few years back with all the kids coming up. I would guess he's not up opening day, but he will be a few months into the season.

Ben Fransisco put up a 770 OPS last year, so they'll stick with him. Laporta was awful by the end of last year, he definatly needs some more time in the minors.

Cleveland has addressed its needs as well as anyone this offseason, adding closer Kerry Wood, the highly underrated Mark DeRosa at 3B, and reliever Joe Smith.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I would say Cleveland is a contender in that division. Who is that much better than them?

If Cleveland can get a healthy year of Victor Martinez, Travis Hafner, and Fausto Carmona. They should also get Jake Westbrook back at the all-star break, and have solidified their bullpen with Kerry Wood and Joe Smith. I actually think they have a pretty good shot to win a very average division.

Cleveland definitely can be a contender. They finished the season strong despite moving forward without Sabathia (yes, it can be done http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif). As X noted, they addressed their needs very well, particularly in the bullpen, and they are only a year removed from the playoffs.

I don't think LaPorta opens the season in Cleveland, but he and Brantley will likely be a phone call away at AAA.

Cleavland won the division two years ago and without CC still have a Cy Young winner on the team so I don't think it's out of the question they contend this year. LaPorta needs to put in a full year without tailing off before he should be handed the job.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Well both were injured for over 2 months each. I don't expect the old, great Hafner to ever show up again. Something along the 2007 Hafner should help a bit though.

They may want to gift LaPorta a first baseman's glove in Spring Training though.

Well both were injured for over 2 months each.
Even before Martinez got hurt, his numbers were way down, but maybe that was a result of his injury. I don't see the Indians as the favorite in the division with 3 other qualtiy teams in Detroit, CWS, and Minnesota. Detroit can't be that bad again with all of that talent.

The Twins and White Sox both overachieved by a pretty significant amount last year and Detroit doesn't have good pitching. I think that division is wide open and Cleveland is as good as anyone else in it.

Mr. Clutch, Big Papi, must have excreted some of his clutchness on his teammates before leaving for GREENer pastures.

Do you mean when the Twins released him and he signed with the Sox for a little over a million.

Archived