Brewer Fanatic

College Hoops: Milwaukee Panthers - Green Bay Phoenix

jhart05

This Friday night, January 9, 8pm, at the Mecca (US Cellular Arena).

Come on out for some good college basketball between these two big in-state rivals who really don't like each other.

The Milwaukee Panthers are 5-0 in conference sitting atop nationally ranked Butler, in the Horizon League Standings. They are playing fun, exciting, very good basketball again. Rob Jeter has brought in the best recruiting class in many years.

Green Bay is 3-1, taking a tough loss Monday night to Loyola, otherwise this would be a battle for First Place.

Cheapest ticket is $10, and it's nothing like a $10 seat in the Bradley Center to watch the Bucks stink it up. How can you beat that for a night of good college basketball?

The game will also be on Time Warner Sports, and Nationally on ESPNU. If you can't make it down, turn on the TV and watch.

Hope to see you down there!!

We are looking at an expected attendance of 5,000+ for this one.

Come on down!! Join in on the fun!!

Again, $10 for the cheapest ticket. I don't think you'll find a better sports entertainment value for your money anywhere at this time of year.

UWGB alum here- I loved this matchup as a student. Even though the two schools are natural basketball rivals, I've always had respect for Milwaukee's program. Does anyone know if this game is going to get picked up by ESPN 2 or ESPN U like it has in the past?

This game is on ESPNU like "trwi7" said. It's also on Time Warner Sports.

By the way...Green Bay is ranked 18th, Milwaukee is 25th, in the current Mid-Major Top 25 poll as well.

It's not the regular poll, but it's still some good recognition for our local program and our city.

yawn... wake me up for the real basketball at the Bradley Center on Saturday... MU vs. West Virginia. Should be a good one with 3x as many people there...

Speaking of real basketball...who made the Sweet 16 last...glorious MU who plays 'real' basketball or the crappy UWM team? (hint it's not the team in the Big East that hasn't met expectations the past few years and has been upset a few times). Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but these posts aren't needed. It's similar to those who post in the Bucks threads that the Bucks or the NBA sucks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Prediction: UWM 70, UWGB 69
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My apologies... that night I was at the bar with an MU shirt on and some UWM kid started yapping... I had a few drinks in me and was a little feisty still after that incident.

I would have edited it earlier but I haven't had a ton of time.

I've actually been to a couple of UWM-GB games, in both cities. It's a solid local rivalry. I think UWM wins this one... Kowalczyk can't coach his way out of a paper bag.

"My apologies... that night I was at the bar with an MU shirt on and some UWM kid started yapping... I had a few drinks in me and was a little feisty still after that incident. "

No harm done. Each school does have their "problem fans" who tend to take it bit too far. However it is starting to get better now that Crean is gone. He was quite the ******. I've even heard that from some people I know who are Marquette fans.

GO PANTHERS!!!

You can also watch the game online here:

www.horizonleaguenetwork.tv/

You will need to create a login, but it only takes a minute.

Or listen to the Milwaukee broadcast at:

http://www.newstalk1130.com/pages/streaming.html

The snow stopped. Get your butts down to the Mecca, if you can!! (US Cellular Arena for those of you too young to remember what it's really called.)

I'm outta here. Leaving work right now, picking up my Dad, and I'll be at Goolsby's for a fish fry before the big game.

GO PANTHERS!!!

Nice finish to the game. Best part is that I get to see my alma mater (Santa Clara) now against St. Mary's. SCU has an awesome big guy named John Bryant. It's too bad he shaved his white-man 'fro. He looked like a member of the "Hair Bear Bunch" his first 3 years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

DHonks,

When did you graduate from Santa Clara? I had some friends that went there....a few years older than Steve Nash.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Nice finish to the game. Best part is that I get to see my alma mater (Santa Clara) now against St. Mary's. SCU has an awesome big guy named John Bryant. It's too bad he shaved his white-man 'fro. He looked like a member of the "Hair Bear Bunch" his first 3 years.

I loved the "Hair Bear Bunch". One banana, two banana, three banana, four"! I can still sing the whole theme. If you are from that cartoon era, youtube has Laff a Lympics on it. I play them for my son.

• 4 weeks later...

Round 2 - Saturday, February 7th at Resch Center:

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panthers

(14-8 overall, 9-3 Horizon League)

vs.

University of Wisconsin- Green Bay Phoenix

(18-6 overall, 10-2 Horizon League)

Green Bay and Milwaukee are sitting at 2nd and 3rd, respectively, in the Horizon League standings behind Butler. Their January matchup in Milwaukee went to OT before the Phoenix took the win in a tight finish. There is definitely a lot to play for on Saturday night.

Archived