Brewer Fanatic

Yovani Gallardo Predictions

I was going through the ESPN fantasy expert predictions and thought this one was interesting:

In 2009, Yovani Gallardo will stay healthy for the entire season

Yovani Gallardo's wins and strikeouts: 18 and 215

Most of the other experts had him around 180 K's and 13 wins. If I had to predict, I'd say 15 wins and 180 K's.

http://sports.espn.go.com...ball/ffl/story?id=3806422

Spooky--that's exactly what I was going to say. 15 wins and 180Ks. I think he's mentally tough, and I expect a very successful pitcher for years to come. He'll hit 20 wins once or twice in his career.

I don't think he pitches enough innings to get 18 wins. I am not sure we should expect Yo to go more than 160-180 innings. I know that is a big range, but I haven't given it enough thought to narrow it down yet. I am pretty sure he isn't quite ready to go a full season.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

In 2006 he pitched 155 innings.

In '07, 187 between AAA and the majors.

and 24 innings in 2008. I am not sure what an almost full year layoff will do to a pitcher, but I would guess he hits the wall sometime in early September if he is treated like a pitcher coming off a full year of pitching much like Parra did in 2008. I have not read anything on pitchers coming back from injuries, but I would expect to see several in the next few months given Gallardo's importance to our 2009 season.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Apparently a year off shouldn't matter since it wasn't an arm related injury according to Will Carroll. My bold prediction is that Gallardo has a better year than either Cy Young winner from last season. That isn't to say he'll have a sub 3 ERA, I just think both Lee and Lincecum are going to regress a good bit. I think Gallardo will be in the low to mid 3's in ERA and go pretty deep into games on a regular basis. Wins are just too luck based to even begin to predict.

His mechanics make it seem less likely that he'd blow out, arm wise.. I think that's a fair assessment..

And his confidence..

But things happen I guess (he says covering his arse)

Community Moderator

I'll say 13 wins (8 in the first half) and 175 K.

I worry because he hasn't thrown a full season in the big leagues--what if hitters start to adjust after seeing him more? What if he tires out down the stretch? What if the pressure of being the ace is too much?

23-7 record and 278 Ks
Ok....seriously.
It's a prediction thread! I could say he's going to go 22-0 with 300 Ks, and I could be right, I could be wrong. I think he's going to be the ace of the team, and pitch like it. You can agree or disagree with me.

What if the pressure of being the ace is too much?

Just my opinion from what I have seen and heard about and from Yovani. Pressure won't other him. He seems to be mature beyond his years and has ice water in his veins. He is a special pitcher and I can't wait to see him come into his own this season.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I don't think he pitches enough innings to get 18 wins. I am not sure we should expect Yo to go more than 160-180 innings. I know that is a big range, but I haven't given it enough thought to narrow it down yet. I am pretty sure he isn't quite ready to go a full season.

If Yo doesn't pitch more than 160 innings, this team will lose 90-95 games.

I peg him at 16-10, 209 innings, 174 K's. ERA of 3.55.

If Yo doesn't pitch more than 160 innings, this team will lose 90-95 games.

Can we please stop with the dramatics. We could lose Gallardo on opening day and the Brewers would likely not lose 95 games. It takes a very bad or very injured team to lose that many. Gallardo isn't worth more than 5 wins over a full season so unless you think we are a 90 loss team with him for some odd reason (I guess I wouldn't be surprised if you did) then this is just being a pessimist.

Yo

210IP

3.15ERA

1.21WHIP

Wins....??? 15-17, just because of the Ben Sheets-itis. For some reason, the Brewers never score a lot of runs when their ace is on the mound. Then again, Ben Sheets probably had the worst bat of any pitcher and Yo outhits his battery-mate.

Archived