Brewer Fanatic

Thoughts on Weeks

RobDeer 45

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was roughly a league average 2B last year and didn't get paid a whole lot so I'd assume he should be starting again, his defense improved a lot though he still has the occassional mental-lapse-bone-headed-throw-the-remote-at-the-tv-in-anger type of play. I don't have a big problem with having some sort of insurance for right handed pitchers though since he seems to really struggle against righties with decent breaking stuff.

According to the casual Brewer fan, he's one of the worst 2B in baseball, but statistically he holds up to be league average. I expected more from the #2 overall pick a few years back in the draft and maybe someday we'll get it, but the clock is ticking. I think Weeks will be with the Brewers at least another year, but if he can't break out in 2009, his days might be numbered after that.

Leading off! I think we could see Crabbe get some play, and there are murmurs of Escobar being our regular 2B, but Rickie is my keystone player. As for what I hope for from Rickie...

.260/.385/.460. 28SB/26HR. Give me Rickie or give me MORI.

When he catches fire (September 2007), he is one of the best 2B in the league.

I'm not a huge Weeks guy, but I'll even give him more time...I'm just sick of his 'streaks' being brought up. He's average. He's below average and above average, but he will never come close to matching September '07 for a long period of time. It's just another case as to why he's one of the most frustrating Brewers in recent memory. Is he replaceable? I think he is. I don't even think it would be that hard, but given his cost and other needs of the teams he doesn't need to be replaced. My biggest hope for Weeks is that some team thinks he will be the stud that some think he is here and we can get a nice value in return for him. In the real world, he'll be a decent 2B that we'll all debate whether or not he should be re-signed soon and to what amount. I for one am sick of the 'Weeks did this or that for this stretch' -- this isn't to call you out twobrewers -- and would like to focus on what he is. He's average and at the slot he was picked that's not all that great, but I guess that pick could've been worse. The only hope I have for him reaching his 'potential' that I for one call in to question is to have him moved out of the lead off spot and inserted in the 6th or 7th spot of the lineup. I'd like to see Weeks swinging for power and not taking pitches and trying to be something he's not. I still have hopes for Weeks, but they're nowhere near what some may still hope. Weeks has to be the most 'excused' Brewer player around here in terms of why he's not producing or examples of others who have struggled and then been pretty good. I said last year that if Weeks played like he could it'd be one of the best 'off-season' moves the Brewers made. It would've been a huge asset to the team...trouble is that didn't happen. Rickie and Prince make for a pretty bad infield defense and Rickie's bat doesn't justify his defense. Rickie may be average, but let's face it that's not what we wanted out of him. An average second baseman isn't hard to find and to be honest shouldn't be drafted that high. He wasn't drafted to be an average second baseman and fair or not that will follow him as long as he's a Brewer.

I know I'm (I guess "we're" since most of the posts so far have been in favor of Weeks) in the minority with this, but like a few have already said, leading off and playing 2B.

Leading off is probably not his ideal position in the order, he's probably more of a 2 or 3 hitter, but the Brewers don't have anyone else remotely close to a leadoff hitter.

Some say he should bat 6th or 7th. I don't understand that at all. He's one of top walk guys on the team and will also take a pitch in the ribs. Why would you want that in front of your two worst hitters? I want my 6/7 hitter to be able to drive in a run from second, not put two guys on for the 8 hitter and the pitcher.

If he could just raise his average to .250, he'll have a .360+ OBP. That would be perfect for this team.

Also, I believe Willie Randolph being on the coaching staff this year is going to help him a lot.

I think he is leading off and playing 2B for us for the next 3 years. It is unfortunate that he is "only" league average offensively and with the glove now. Since he is cheap and under control for 3 years, I think he is a guy to hang on to unless we have a better player to replace him. I think we are going to have, and currently have, more pressing concerns with replacing bad players and acquiring pitching before we seek out doing something about average players.(3B this year-CF,3B, C next year-pitching every year) Of course if the right deal comes along I am not opposed to trading Weeks or any player for that matter.

Weeks still carries a .338 OBP against RHP. I would rather platoon Hardy and his .312 OBP against RHP. I think both are full time players.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Other than Rickie watching the best pitch in his AB go bye without taking a cut at it my next biggest issue is his turns at 2B. How can he still be so bad at it? He's the single biggest reason I don't want another ground ball pitcher... typically the play is still an out (unless he drops the ball) so it doesn't always show up in his error total, but making errant throws on the turn really drives me nuts.

Whomever said he expected more out of the #2 pick in the draft was close to my general feeling about Rickie, but I think it's criminal that a player with his bat speed hasn't hit for more power thus far. Rickie is another guy with super tools that keeps teasing us with his potential, he'll be starting next year at 2B, but I don't agree that he should be lead off at all. He takes way too many hitter's pitches as a lead off hitter, I'd like to see him bat 2nd or 5th. While he takes walks, his speed is overstated some, he's not a huge base stealing threat table setter like Henderson (whom I was hoping Rickie would eventually become). I don't know who would bat lead off and honestly it doesn't matter to me, I'd like to see what Rickie can do when hitting without that lead off mentality. OBP is important and all but it shouldn't come at the expense of the rest of his offensive game, and my gut feeling is that he's trying too hard to get on, instead of letting the game come to him. I'd like to see him start attacking fastballs again with regularity... if he sees his pitch he should jump on it, regardless of the count, and yes if they groove him a 3-0 fastball I would expect him to hit it with authority someplace.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Ennder wrote:

He is the guy who is actually improving unlike some other Brewers.

True, I wouldn't platoon either though. Weeks went .361/.749, .352/.787, .319/.710 during that same time. The big difference I see between the two is that Weeks doesn't mash LHP like Hardy(and almost every other Brewer other than Fielder) does.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I know I'm only echoing other posts here but Rickie's biggest problem is that he was the #2 pick. He deserves more time and we could be a whole lot worse at 2nd. I have no problem with him leading off and starting almost every day at 2nd. Minor criticism but I don't think he should ever hit 2nd in the line up. Lead off hitter and when he slumps put him 7th.

It is unfortunate that he is "only" league average offensively and with the glove now

According to fangraphs, Weeks is well below-average defensively, and was in 2008. He may have played better in 2008, but I see no indication that he is now an average fielding 2b.

I'm not even sure that the claim that he is an average hitting 2b holds much water. If you look at 2008, he is below average in BA, SLG, and OBP.

I think the term "league average" is being abused in this discussion .... If you throw in every clown that logged in any time at 2b in 2008, then perhaps Weeks is "average"... However if you compare Weeks to "National league starting 2bs" -- Weeks is definitely below average both with the bat and glove.

Since he is cheap and under control for 3 years, I think he is a guy to hang on to unless we have a better player to replace him. I think we are going to have, and currently have, more pressing concerns with replacing bad players and acquiring pitching before we seek out doing something about average players.

I think that this is spot on. Weeks may be upgradable, but we don't have any internal options that are better -- and if we are to make a blockbuster trade, I would rather it involve pitching or a 3b.

I can deal with Weeks leatherfacing up the middle IF for one more year -- or at least I hope I can.

Weeks is an enigma. I think batting leadoff has hurt his production. Yes he gets his walks and he gets hit a lot and that produces a decent OBP for a leadoff guy even though he hits under .250. But to get those walks, he takes pitches he can drive and a lot of them.

Weeks is capable of so much more. He's got the power to hit 25-30 HR. He should hit .280-.300. He could drive in 100 runs in the middle of the order. But he leads off because the Brewers have never found anyone else capable for that role. Unless they do, I don't think we'll ever see the Rickie Weeks that was the 2nd pick in the draft.

Defensively I think he's progressed as far as he can. His concentration level has improved to the point where he doesn't make the errors on the routine plays like he used to but despite his speed he still has trouble on balls he has to roam to get to and he propensitiy to make bad throws on double play balls in key situations is really disturbing.

Isn't league average almost by definition someone who will help you get to .500? I thought we were past settling for that. I agree we have other more pressing needs so we end up with him. There is still a decent chance he could figure out which pitch is a good one to hit and which isn't and he may yet be well above average. Those two factors makes him the second baseman and lead off hitter for year IMO. We could not win the division with a team full of Weeks. We can win it all if he is the weakest link.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

UZR have him below average but everywhere else (RZR, PMR, ) have him right at average. His 2008 wasn't great but he projects to be much better in 2009 and his 2008 likely would have looked better if Yost hadn't sat him when he finally started to hit. And no team can be above average at all positions.

I am not big stat guy, but I thought someone on this board basically proved that batting leadoff or not basically has no effect on a player's offensive performance. That aside, I agree that I hope Macha considers other options for the 1 spot in 2009.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Isn't league average almost by definition someone who will help you get to .500? I thought we were past settling for that.

League average players are extremely valuable. A team of all league average players and then Braun and Gallardo is a playoff team to put it in perspective. What you don't want to settle for is players who are replacement level.

Isn't league average almost by definition someone who will help you get to .500? I thought we were past settling for that.

League average players are extremely valuable. A team of all league average players and then Braun and Gallardo is a playoff team to put it in perspective. What you don't want to settle for is players who are replacement level.

Dumb question: Can someone define "replacement level?" I see that thrown around here all the time, but I don't adequately understand what it means.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived