Brewer Fanatic

Part time job ideas

Menotti80

I'm looking for a part time job (in the Milwaukee area) and could use some ideas. I have a 8-4:30 ish job M-F, so I am looking at weekend shifts and/or 1 to 2 evenings per week.

Does anyone have any suggestions or are any of you looking for part time employees???

Thanks in advance!

I currently work full time 8-5, Monday- Friday, and then I deliver pizzas two or three times a week at night. I've worked numerous pt jobs over the years, and delivering pizza is definitely my favorite. If you do decide to go this route, I would recommend working at a place that is not a chain.

I too am looking for a part time job to supplement my unemployment (most likely I won't be able to find a full time career until spring or summer so I have all but given up in this department). Pizza delivery sounds like a great idea and was something I hadn't really considered. I thought about bartending/barbacking, but these jobs seem to be in extremely short supply around me on the north side of Chicago...especially when you have no experience. Pizza delivery seems like another great way though to get paid in cash.

For people who have delivered pizzas in the past, do you have to share your tips? I assume you get paid a base pay per hour in addition to tips. You pay for your own gas typically, correct?

At the place I work we get a little over $5 an hour base pay, $.25 a mile, and then we get to keep our tips. So I will typically make at least $60 in just tips and gas money each 6 hour night shift that I work. That is not including the hourly wage.

If you're into sports and think you know the rules for the most part, maybe try reffing something. I am a WIAA licensed basketball official and started as just a sophomore in high school. Pay is great for a part-time job, and you can pretty much set your own schedule. And it's all evenings/weekends. When starting up, though, it does take some guts. Also, you have to get to know people who can give you games to work too. But if you start out doing real low-level games and just do a good job, you can work your way up and gradually get to know those people. wiaawi.org would have more info I believe, if you're interested.

If you do decide to go this route, I would recommend working at a place that is not a chain.

As long as they're successful. Some mom and pop places are really slow or focus on dine-in and I've had friends that worked there and made squat because they got like 1 delivery an hour.

For people who have delivered pizzas in the past, do you have to share your tips? I assume you get paid a base pay per hour in addition to tips. You pay for your own gas typically, correct?

No, I never had to share tips. Typically, you're paid around minimum wage and then mileage in addition to your tips. Some places pay by the mile ($.20), some give you a percentage (5-6%), and some pay a flat rate per delivery ($.85 at my last pizza job). So yes, you have to pay your own gas, maintenance, etc, but you get at least enough to cover gas in one of the 3 ways I listed. Rarely, places will have their own cars that you drive (Pizza Hut did not too long ago), but they've been moving away from this for some time.

Also, when there's a delivery charge, you DON'T get that (anywhere I worked at least)- it "goes toward your mileage reimbursement", but is really fee companies tagged on in the last few years to keep their prices on the menu/coupon competitive.

Archived