Brewer Fanatic

Brewers intrested in White Sox Relief Pitchers

Yes, Floyd was a very highly thought of prospect. In fact, entering 2004 and 2005, BA had him as the Phillies #2 prospect and projected him as a #2 or #3 SP.

From BA 2004 Prospect Handbook: "Floyd would rank as the top prospect in many other organizations. He signed for a club-record $4.2m as the fourth overall pick in 2001 - one spot before fellow Mount St. Joseph H product Mark Teixeira. ...Floyd entered his pro career with two plus pitches, a 92-95 mph fastball with movement, and a shoulder-to-shoelaces hard curveball that rates 80 on the 20-80 scouting scale at times."

He's still only 24 and I think it would be a great pickup not just for another lefty in the BP this year, but additional depth going forward. Being so young, you just never know when he may suddenly "get it" and reach his potential.

I do seem to recall that Floyd got his shot in Philly and was considered a "former" top prospect, having flamed out a la Ben Hendrikson.

He got traded to the White Sox along with a couple other washed out pitchers. Gio Gonzalez was one of them I think.

Ok, here's the balance to my excitement about Floyd - from Baseball Prospectus:

"After getting cuffed around in Philly at the start of 2005, Floyd was sent to Scranton for the rest of the IL season. Floyd was mugged there, too, though he made two more starts in Philadelphia upon being recalled when the rosters expanded in September. None of this should have been a surprise, as Floyd started only five games in Triple-A before making his big league debut in 2004. At 23, Floyd needs to learn how to pitch to disciplined hitters, any one of whom can turn around his fastball or hit a mistake curve over buildings. If learning by experience, level by level, wasn`t crucial to the development of all but the rarest talents, teams could simply jump their top prospects to the majors and let them learn with the big boys. It doesn`t work that way, especially with a high school draftee who sets up his out pitch with a mediocre fastball."

Maybe the best thing to do is acquire him, let him work with Maddux and then possibly pitch in Nashville next year. Doesn't help us for the playoff run this year, but an intriguing possibility if he's available cheaply.

I think (and hope) its Suppan. The Brewers back loaded his contract for a reason, and I think the first good offer gets him. When we signed him we needed him, but after the way the rookies are throwing I think we could use his salary for a upgrade in left or catcher.

Archived