Brewer Fanatic

Nelson Cruz to bat 4th in Rangers' lineup?

Prince James

I just read something over on CBS Sportsline regarding the Rangers' considering batting Nelson Cruz 4th in their lineup. I know the guy tore up AAA again last year and had some nice numbers in September, but did he impress everyone enough to make that kind of leap. If the lights went on finally for Cruz and this is for real, the Rangers have a very scary lineup this year. Has anyone on this site been following this guy closely enough to provide some further insight?

For the record - here is the snippet.

Cruz expected to start, clean up: Ron Washington told the Dallas Morning News if he goes into opening day with the current lineup, Nelson Cruz would be his cleanup hitter. The manager wants Josh Hamilton third and put a right-handed bat behind him.

Cruz has power. Cruz has holes in his swing. If he plays the entire year, he might bat .220 and hit 30 HR.

My opinion of him hasn't changed since we traded him, poor contact skills, lots of power, mediocre plate discipline. He is Dunn without nearly as many walks and only a 1B or DH in the field. In the NL he basically had no value at all, in the AL he has some.

I'm happy for him if it's true. His MLE last year would have made him one of the top few hitters in MLB. I don't know that we can trust that because of the same reasons we can't necessarily trust Branyan's MLEs, but Cruz seems to be a legitimate major league slugger. We'll find out for sure in 2009. Bill James has him projected at an .885 OPS for 2009, which would be excellent..

Also, I disagree that Cruz is only a DH, he can play a corner with no problems. His UZRs are well above average or even outstanding (+12 per 150 games) and suggest he could handle CF. He also is known to have an extremely strong arm.

If there is a place he can succeed it's in Texas. A hitter's park with protection in the lineup. I'm happy he's getting his shot but equally happy it isn't the Brewers giving it to him. I hope for the same with Gwynn.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived