Brewer Fanatic

Search for a Closer

wcswimmer712

With Trevor Hoffman as the only "A-Type" closer still available (according to Melvin), I decided to look at some other free agent closer options still out there.

The two that jumped out at me were ex-Nationals closer, Chad Cordero, and ex-Cardinals closer, Jason Isringhausen. I know Cordero had labrum surgery earlier in the year, but he is expected to be ready for Spring Training. For his career, Cordero has a 2.78 ERA and could be a cheap, high-reward signing. Isringhausen had a terrible year last year, but in 2007 he only blew two saves and had a 2.48 ERA in 65 innings. He has 293 career saves and could provide a veteran presence in our young bullpen (Dillard, Swindle, Villanueva, Morlan, Stetter, maybe Pena and/or Aguilar)

I've heard little news about either, and maybe one could be signed to a relatively cheap deal

I think the Brewers need to add another reliever to be the closer but I don't think he has to have had prior closer experience. I don't see the value in paying for closer experience. If he's a talented pitcher, he'll be able to close.

Has any other pitcher ever recovered to full strength and shown the same abilities after a torn labrum? I would be very leery of getting any pitcher who has torn their labrum. As someone who has torn their labrum I can attest that you lose a lot of strength and mobility in the affected shoulder and it never quite feels the same.

Oh and the whole Robb Nen thing scares me away even further:

http://www.slate.com/id/2100895/

Rp

I am sure Chad Cordero wants an opportunity to close somewhere.

I would imagine he might take less to be a closer than a set-up man elsewhere. He would likely take an incentive laden deal for one year to try and prove his health before looking for big bucks in FA.

That said, in general, I agree with Diskono.

I support the "find generic power pitcher on the scrap heap, let him get some saves, trade him before he flames out, repeat as needed" option.
This has worked well for Melvin in the past. I still like McClung, but wouldn't mind giving Lyon or even Saito a look for the right price.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Akinoi Otsuka and Eddie Guardado are two cheap names I would love to see the Brewers go after. Otsuka is coming off a major elbow injury but had a real nice run with the Padres and Rangers. Eddie Guardado is one year removed from a major injury but had a decent year last year with the Rangers and Twins. Both of them should be moderately cheap, 2 million or less, but they both want to pitch in the Southwest so it would be extremely questionable whether the Brewers could woo either one of them.

I guess i don't understand why hoffmann wouldn not want to come here. Part of the effect of the closer market drying up is that there are really not man closer jobs available. Besides a simple love of the game, the only 2 reasons for Hoffman to come back once san diego told him they didn't plan for him to come back would be to get more saves and to go to the playoffs. The brewers are the only team that i can think of that will be good next year and have a closer job available. Cordero is another interesting option. I really don't have much interest in Izzy after seing him fall apart for the cards and eventually loosing his job. Of the players we have on the roster. my choice would be McClung. He definitely has a more closer mentatlity than CV, also I think Villaneuva is still more valuable as a starter than a closer.

patrickgpe, I can't disagree with you more that McClung "definetely has more closer mentality than CV". What makes you think that? CV is very competitive and a real cool customer. Remember the incident with Pujols? To me he has the perfect closer mentality.

Don't underestimate the fact that Villanueva faced 11 hitters in the NLDS and retired all 11. I realize that's a very small sample and wasn't in a closing situation, but it was in the pressure of the playoffs and I think that left a very positive impression on Melvin.

I like Cruz a lot, but imagine Cruz in the 8th inning throwing gas, then bringing in Villanueva to finesse em with his assortment of quality pitches in the 9th.

I like Cruz a lot, but imagine Cruz in the 8th inning throwing gas, then bringing in Villanueva to finesse em with his assortment of quality pitches in the 9th.

They wouldn't face the same batters. So the change is speeds really doesn't have an effect.

I do agree, however, that Villanueva definitely as the mentality. (But then, I think McClung does as well)

Small sample, but Guardado wasn't very good after getting traded to MN, a place he's quite comfortable.

The other significant closer available and not yet mentioned is John Smoltz. Then again, he's also one of the best, proven, possibly reasonably priced starters available, too. I'd put on a good push for Smoltz and then come as close as possible to matching Hoffman's price.

Pipe dream? Perhaps. But with the slow market, it's still early and it's important to aim high.

I'd love to land Hoffman. Additionally, Lyon or Cruz are enticing as they are power pitchers. The Brewers really lacked a strikeout pitcher in their pen this year, and adding one would be nice for when there are men on base. I'd love Lyon, but the concern is that he's been hurt a lot, it seems.

Hoffman? (answering thunderbat's question). Doug Jones?

Hoffman was the only one I could think of. I just didn't want to say there's no way he would be a good closer. To me most closers that are successful have so called 'power' arms. I wouldn't classify CV as a power arm at all so other than his mentality I would think his success would be average at best. Just my two cents. Not to say he would fail but I would much rather see someone else in that role.

Don't underestimate the fact that Villanueva faced 11 hitters in the NLDS and retired all 11. I realize that's a very small sample and wasn't in a closing situation, but it was in the pressure of the playoffs and I think that left a very positive impression on Melvin.

That is a good point. Small sample but a good point. I still like Villanueva though being the guy you throw out there in the 6th, 7th or 8th in the most crucial situation. Being able to go multiple innings if needed.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'd much rather see Villanueva in a less rigid role than closer where he'd be limited to only one inning stints in the 9th inning
Ditto. I'd rather use CV as our Marmol Lite, aka relief ace who can throw multiple innings in higher leverage situations.

Archived