Brewer Fanatic

Angels sign Fuentes - 2 years/$17.5 mil

TuesdaysWithRillo

Seems like a nice move for the Angels. $8 million a year is not too bad for a good closer and the deal is only 2 years. He's not nearly as good as K-Rod, but he's pretty comparable to Francisco Cordero (who got a much bigger deal last off-season).

Fuentes wanted to be in california so I dont think we had a real shot so I wont blame Melvin. We need to try to sign Hoffman. This bullpen as currently constitued is garbage and we really need to improve it. Villy is the only guy I have confidence in; this is a real big problem area for the team. In my mind the Angels got an absolute steal with Fuentes.

WELL did we really expect Doug to pay alot for a closer especially since we have Mcclung and Julio already on board.

I think Doug will wait until the end of Jan to see who left to make a move.

Theme for 2009 just be Patient

I hope to god neither of those guys ever end up as our closer, specifically Julio. McClung had a nice year last year but I am in the boat of believing that this was more of a fluke than anything and he seemed to struggle when he was in the pen as opposed to being a starter.

Fuentes wanted to be in california so I dont think we had a real shot so I wont blame Melvin. We need to try to sign Hoffman. This bullpen as currently constitued is garbage and we really need to improve it. Villy is the only guy I have confidence in; this is a real big problem area for the team. In my mind the Angels got an absolute steal with Fuentes.

Yea and so did CC.......Its all about the money.

And yet another one bites the dust. This is shaping up to be an awful off-season.

This bullpen as currently constitued is garbage and we really need to improve it.

I know you're pessimistic and all, but that statement isn't even close to true. At this point our bullpen is probably right about as good as it was last season, and if someone like Dillard steps up, it could well be better.

McClung had a nice year last year but I am in the boat of believing that this was more of a fluke than anything and he seemed to struggle when he was in the pen as opposed to being a starter.

**Disclaimer: a 'seems like' statement follows:

I thought that McClung really tried to overthrow his FB more as a reliever, and the gruntball is where he loses his control imho. As long as the coaching staff can keep him throwing within his talents/abilities, I think he'd do fine as a reliever.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Seems like a nice move for the Angels. $8 million a year is not too bad for a good closer and the deal is only 2 years. He's not nearly as good as K-Rod, but he's pretty comparable to Francisco Cordero (who got a much bigger deal last off-season).
Actually, I remember seeing something on ESPN when the Fuentes-to-Anaheim rumors started comparing the two in several categories, and Fuentes came out ahead in most (if not all) of them. There were some wacky ones like "Number of 1-2-3 innings", but Fuentes allowed a lower opponent OBP and converted a higher percentage of his save attempts. Given cost, I'd probably rather have Fuentes than K-Rod -- I think the Angels made the right move.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The bullpen may not be complete garbage but it isn't much above that level and I don't believe it is near the level needed if anyone is still clining to the pipe dream of competing for the playoffs in 2009. The pen was dead center average last year and has lost its most reliable pitcher in Torres while adding no one. The loss of Mota may also hurt as he was pretty reliable in the second half and at least had the ability to get the timely K. Maybe Julio can offset Mota but other than that the pen will be below average as constructed, especially given the number of innings that will be needed given the craptastic starting rotation. Parra, Suppan, Mclung is going to lead to a lot a of 5 and 2/3rd innings starts.

At this point our bullpen is probably right about as good as it was last season, and if someone like Dillard steps up, it could well be better.
And that's a good thing?????

If it wasn't for Torres pitching way above his head as a closer, last year would have been a total bullpen melt down. And besides that, at least last year Melvin tried to address the bullpen by picking up Mota, Riske, Gagne and Torres by this point in time with Gagne at least having closer experience. What type of closer experience do we have this year? Julio? A bigger risk heading into the season than Gagne was last year and our only move this year with Mota, Gagne and Torres now gone from last year. And he made all of those moves last year on top of the big contract offer he made to Coco. This year, nothing.

This season is shaping up into a potential HUGE disaster. We are going into the season hoping on a lot of improvement from A LOT of players. Moreso than in years past and that is not a good thing.

Given cost, I'd probably rather have Fuentes than K-Rod -- I think the Angels made the right move.
The Angels made a great move. They were able to get a very good closer at a very cheap price especially when compared to last year and the deal that Coco received. This was the year to grab legit closers on the cheap. Unfortunately, Melvin has whiffed badly.

And that's a good thing?????

Well it's certainly not a bad thing. Regardless of what some may lead you to believe, our bullpen was fine last season. It could have been better, sure, but it wasn't some huge achilles heel for the Crew last season. Torres wasn't so good last season that he's irreplaceable. Our depth is probably going to be better for 2009, we'll be rid of Gagne, and Riske should return to career norms after the injury.

This was the year to grab legit closers on the cheap. Unfortunately, Melvin has whiffed badly.

So Melvin is supposed to sign some FA SP(s) & a closer, all with very little wiggle room? Where are you imagining this payroll room is coming from?I know it's easier to harp on supposed failings, but the far greater priority right now is the starting rotation. The bullpen as presently constituted will be fine imo for 2009.

This was the year to grab legit closers on the cheap. Unfortunately, Melvin has whiffed badly.

So Melvin is supposed to sign some FA SP(s) & a closer, all with very little wiggle room? Where are you imagining this payroll room is coming from?I know it's easier to harp on supposed failings, but the far greater priority right now is the starting rotation. The bullpen as presently constituted will be fine imo for 2009.

Well we don't have replacement pitching in the minors to come to our rescue so yes we do have to sign some FA starting pitcher (s) and a closer and when looking at the money that is flying around, spending money on an experienced closer this year is the way to go. Last year we are willing to spend $13 million on CoCo, did spend $10 on Gagne but now we won't spend $8 on fuentes, an upgrade over Gagne????? Unfortunately, it is a position of need and I for one am not on the love bandwagon of McClung or Villanueva to close out games. Where have they ever proved capable of closing games for a playoff contender? For comparisons sake, lets look at other teams who are in the legit running for a playoff spot. Mets? have 2 legit closers. Cubs? Have 2 closers. Phillies? One of the best in Lidge. Yea McClung and Villy are really giving me the warm fuzzies. not. Again, with what the market had to offer and with the money that was being handed out for starters and closers, at this point in time, we were better off spending money on a closer. At least that would answer one of the 10 or so other keep our fingers crossed that things go right questions.

As far as where the money comes from???? First, you don't spend $10 million on a centerfielder who you wanted to trade, only to get stuck with him but thats another problem with this team that has been discussed ad naseum. We are saving a lot of money from Sheets and Gagne so spending $8 or $9 million for 2/3 years on a closer is affordable for any team that (a) needs a closer and (b) wants to compete for a playoff spot but oh yes I forgot lets toe the line of we are not the Yankees. We can't afford to spend money. To make any mistakes. Yada, yada, yada.

Someone else can find the quote but Melvin said that he reached out to Fuentes but he wasnt interested in Milwaukee. Melvin said something to the effect of "its hard to negotiate with someone who doesnt want to be there(or return calls)."

Pulling for CV to nail down the 'closer' role. If he does, McClung can stay in the rotation. I'd assume it would also mean we can get more value out of CV.

I'd suspect we still will see a vet added to the mix, but might not happen until spring trainging. Maybe its the goggles, but I don't see the pen as that much of a weakness, unless the rotation beaks down. IMO, there is where the 'Crew has a depth issue.

Please explain to me how anyone can think this bullpen is in good shape when Villy is the only guy you can reasonably count on and even he is far from a sure thing. I dont think we can count on Coffee, Riske, or Julio. I like Stetter as the lefty in the pen but I just dont see any pitchers in this bullpen that are all that great. Granted our bullpen was nothing special last season but losing Torres is not a good thing and Julio is really another Mota. Add in the fact that we dont exactly have a solid rotation at the moment and this pitching staff is in shambles. As of now this pitching staff is not even close to good enough to make the playoffs with. If Melvin can just resign Sheets and sign Hoffman I would feel a lot better but if he is going to only add a Looper type we are in big trouble.

I don't know how anyone can say the bullpen is as good as it was last year at this time, considering they've probably lost 5 of the top 6 guys going into last year (Mota, Torres, Gagne, Shouse and Turnbow). The only guy left who was considered a big part going into last season is Riske, and he had some pretty brutal stretches last year. I'd lean more towards the "bullpen is garbage" opinion.

The only two there I would consider being a loss would be Mota and Torres. Coffee can give you want Mota did and Stetter should be able to do what Shouse did. You can replace CV for Torres. So I think the BP is just as good as last year.

I don't think the bullpen is in such great shape, but then again either is the starting pitching, or the lineup.

I think the lineup is fine. We need a couple starters for depth. A shut down guy in the pen would make it go from solid and unspectacular to really good. Our bulpen isn't bad right now.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I dont think we can count on Coffee, Riske, or Julio.
I count on coffee every single morning to help me get up and go. If you're talking about Todd Coffey, then I think you'll see that he'll have to win a spot in the pen this season. Riske was injured last season; I think you'll see him rebound to near his career numbers and be solid in the set-up role. Below is a very rudimentary comparison between the '08 pen and prospective '09 pen. Obviously, it's mainly conjecture, but it's certainly realistic.

'09 Villy = '08 Torres

'09 Stetter > '08 Shouse

'09 Riske > '08 Riske

'09 McClung ~ '08 McClung

So that leaves a combination of Coffey, Julio, Dillard, Swindle, and DiFelice that needs to outperform the '08 versions of Gagne, Mota, and Turnbow. It doesn't appear to be a stretch saying that the bullpen is improved.

Besides, there is still one more 'name' on the market that would be a welcomed addition to the bullpen and his price should be bottoming out shortly...Juan Cruz. IIRC, the Brewers gave up their first when they signed Damian Miller a few years back so the argument can be made that Melvin will sign a Type A when the situation is right.. The did nab Gallardo in the 2nd in that draft.

Please explain to me how anyone can think this bullpen is in good shape when Villy is the only guy you can reasonably count on and even he is far from a sure thing.

For starters, the bullpen is the same if not better than last season... but omg I know, no one knows any names from the 'pen. Honestly, what's the big deal? Dillard/Stetter/Villy/McClung/DiFelice/Riske is a really great set of bullpen options.

Archived