Brewer Fanatic

JJ Hardy in the field

silversurferr
I buy that TooLiveBrew. His failure to turn a couple game ending DPs made his few mistakes very high profile. He's not a natural fielder but has made himself somewhat capable through hard work. He's the anti Bill Hall.

• 2 weeks later...
Eventually Hardy can be moved to 3B but right now he has to muc value as a SS to move him. He gets to enough balls to be a plus defender and his big arm makes plays from the hole that others can not make. Escobar needs to be able to hit pretty good if he is going to be the plus player that Hardy is. Escobar may have more range but I have not heard that he has a big arm as Hardy, and I dont see his stick having the pop that Hardy does.

I think brewerguy71 is discounting that Hardy gets tremendous jumps on balls. He isn't the speediest guy, but off the bat he is heading in the right direction as quick as anyone I've seen. I think his UZR accounts for that as well. His jumps allow him to get to a number of balls that others might be diving for.

Anyone who says JJ Hardy has below average range simply isn't watching the games IMO. With the jumps he gets, he is very easily average, if not above average. Just because he isn't making crazy diving plays doesn't mean his range is bad. Many fielders make up for bad jumps by diving for balls. It looks flashier, but it does not make the player a better defender.

Now, Escobar is probably better than Hardy on defense, and I've heard also that Escobar has a Hardy-like arm. But having them both right now gives us a bit of time to let Escobar mature offensively, so he can step in when he's ready to go.

strawbossisevil, while Hardy isn't the speediest, remember he managed to be the fastest big leaguer in camp last year when they did their runs. We may not see it when he runs the bases, but that's what helps him make so many plays look effortless

I think what is getting forgotten here is how poorly defensive metrics address defensive shifting. That's a big help to Hardy imho. His range isn't some sneaky, overlooked skill. He's about average in terms of range, even though he does get good reads off the bat.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have heard that Escobar has a fantastic arm. As good or better than Hardy.
Which just made me think... how about we go with a Gamel/Escobar platoon at third base once they get past Super 2 status in the middle of June? Against lefties, you get great defense and no hitting and against righties you get mediocre defense and good hitting. It'll be the league's first interdisiplinary platoon. Good times.

strawbossisevil, while Hardy isn't the speediest, remember he managed to be the fastest big leaguer in camp last year when they did their runs. We may not see it when he runs the bases, but that's what helps him make so many plays look effortless
Are you confusing Hardy with Hart in the 60-yard dash?

Players were timed twice and Hall's best effort was 6.67 seconds, good, but not good enough to win the title of world's fastest Milwaukee Brewer. Outfielder Corey Hart took that honor with a time of 6.59 seconds, just edging infielder Hernan Iribarren's 6.61 second run, outfielder Drew Anderson's 6.69 and surprise contender J.J. Hardy's 6.71. Second baseman Rickie Weeks, one of the pre-race favorites, ran a 6.85, and another pole-sitter, third baseman Ryan Braun, ran a 6.90.

Link

Archived