Brewer Fanatic

Hockey at Wrigley...

jaybird2001wi

The Blackhawks will be playing at Wrigley Field at an ice rink. I also just went to an Admirals game last night and wondered how they really make hockey ice. When people think of ice skating, they think of freezing cold but the Bradley Center had comfortable temps as do other ice arenas. How is ice created indoors and how does it stay frozen and at the same time creating comfortable temps indoors?

Do they use a different chemical or something?

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ice-rink1.htm

"The underlying technology behind indoor ice rinks is the same technology at work in refrigerators and air conditioners. If you've read How Refrigerators Work, than you understand the basic idea.

The main difference in an ice rink, other than sheer size, is that the refrigerant doesn't cool the ice directly. Instead, it cools brinewater, a calcium-chloride solution, which is pumped through an intricate system of pipes underneath the ice. In most rinks, the pipes are embedded in a concrete or sand base"

If anyone is interested, it's in the works to have a hockey game at Camp Randall in February of 2010. Just trying to finalize some of the last details. Should be set up by the time that they send out Season Tickets next year. It's being done in an effort to break the record for the largest Hockey Game Attendence held by Michigan State about 2 years ago.

Community Moderator

I'm glad that Wisconsin is going ahead with the outdoor hockey game. The one at Lambeau Field seemed to be a success and I have no doubt that they could get 80,000 for one at Camp Randall. I assume the sight lines would be horrible, but it's more for the experience than actually being able to see anything...

As for the game at Wrigley--I really enjoyed the Buffalo game last year, hopefully this one will be just as good--and showcase a great young Blackhawks team.

obsessedwithbrewcrew wrote:

As for the game at Wrigley--I really enjoyed the Buffalo game last year, hopefully this one will be just as good--and showcase a great young Blackhawks team.

if they put the rink in the right spot, sight lines shouldnt be bad at camp randall. the rink placement at wrigley is horrible.

if they put the rink in the right spot, sight lines shouldnt be bad at camp randall. the rink placement at wrigley is horrible.

Honestly though, I think Wrigley is just a bad venue for fans, for this type of event. They can't have it closer to home plate due to the pitchers mound, and any further in the outfield takes the rooftop seats out of the picture. Football stadiums are better suited for outdoor hockey games. I believe this is the first one they're doing not in a football-first stadium.

Buffalo, Lambeau, Edmonton (2004-ish), Michigan-Michigan State

Archived