Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox sign Brad Penny, Josh Bard

Bikeage77

I would have loved for the Brewers to sign Penny for that kind of deal. If Theo thought it was worth it, I really wish Melvin would have gone for Penny.
Penny had other offers out there besides the one from the Red Sox. Someone posted this in the Transaction/Rumors forum "There were a lot of teams involved," said Penny in a phone conversation, "but I wanted to go somewhere where I knew we had a great chance at winning and Boston is that place." From WEEI.com.

It looks like Penny had his eyes set on a particular team or teams.

Penny had other offers out there besides the one from the Red Sox. Someone posted this in the Transaction/Rumors forum "There were a lot of teams involved," said Penny in a phone conversation, "but I wanted to go somewhere where I knew we had a great chance at winning and Boston is that place."

The Brewers aren't exactly bottom of the league with no chance of winning. They are one of 8 who are coming off a playoff appearance and had a better team than the one he just left. They have a good core of offensive players and the pitching staff would have been pretty decent if he is anywhere near what he was. In fact he would have been no better than a #3 starter on this team and we do have Bush and Soup who are more than adequate as the 4 or 5 even on winning teams. He may have narrowed his choices and may not have been interested in the Brewers but I don't think the above statement gives any indication he was not interested in Milwaukee.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived