Brewer Fanatic

Reds sign Willy Tavares to 2-year deal

Well for what it's worth, Jocketty had this to say:

"Jamie Quirk believes Willy got away from his game plan. He needs to bunt more and keep the ball on the ground and get some infield hits. I don't know if he tried to hit home runs, or what, but Jamie think he changed his approach and that we can get him back on track."

I suppose if he actually gets to trying to bunt for a base-hit, he's got SOME value.

I suppose if he actually gets to trying to bunt for a base-hit, he's got SOME value.

I think you were right the first time, Brian. The problem with Jocketty / Quirk's story is that Tavares bunted exactly the same number of times in '08 as he did in '07 (59 times, granted he did have 130 more PA, but if you look back at his career he basically drops down around 60 bunts every season irrespective of playing time). He just had a lot less success reaching via the bunt (41% vs. 64%, in other seasons he's never been above 50%, so it looks like 64% is the outlier).

Bunt singles aren't as good at advancing runners as normal singles, so his .296 SLG (.337 career) actually is even less valuable than it appears on the surface.

One would also think that if he "tried to hit more home runs" it would show up in his FB%. Alas, that was down 3% in '08.

His GB% was exactly the same in '08 as it was in '07, so there's no reason to believe the Reds can squeeze more IF hits out of him either.

To top it off, he might not even be an above average defender. UZR has him at +2.2 runs for his career, but -17 combined over the last two seasons.

twobrewers wrote:

That said, Tavares is an improvement over Corey Patterson. So he's got that going for him - which is nice.

Taveras is a couple years younger and steals at a slightly better rate. Taveras has a better OBP, but Patterson slugs enough to almost cover that difference even if you count OBP twice as much as SLG. Taveras at the plate compares pretty closely to Jason Kendall at the plate. The approx 40 SB a year is the only thing Taveras does better than Kendall. Taveras is a bad player.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Its one thing to gamble that Tavarez will find his way back to his 2007 production, but why bet a 2 year deal on that? Wouldn't you want to ditch him after 2009 if he doesn't turn out? And what a low ceiling gamble he is considering how much more production they could get by signing a corner OF and play Jay Bruce in CF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

"Jamie Quirk believes Willy got away from his game plan. He needs to bunt more and keep the ball on the ground and get some infield hits. I don't know if he tried to hit home runs, or what, but Jamie think he changed his approach and that we can get him back on track."

interesting quote. it sounds like Jocketty saying "hey, if he stinks, don't blame me. blame Jamie Quirk."

Archived