Brewer Fanatic

Fangraphs now shows dollar values for players

Brian the Automator

Is that stat a zero-sum sort of thing? For the Brewers to have "underpaid" pretty much across the board, did other teams have to "overpay" based on market value for wins?

Not too surprising that J.J. has the highest value. Very interesting, though not extraordinary, that Fangraphs puts Braun and Cameron at nearly the same dollar value.

According to this new metric, the Brewers should have paid Ben Sheets $5.2 million in 2008 NOT to bat.... Haha.

The only problem I see with this is that is doesn't take into account the fact that money value is different for every team. I wonder if this could be converted to something like *% value of team's overall salary*, or something along those lines, seeing as how if the Brewers paid $10M for a guy, he would need to be one of the best on the team as that would account for like 15 % of the total payroll -- whereas if the Yankees pay $10M, they wouldn't necessarirly require as much production from that player since it's not as big of a chunk of their payroll.

The only problem I see with this is that is doesn't take into account the fact that money value is different for every team. I wonder if this could be converted to something like *% value of team's overall salary*, or something along those lines, seeing as how if the Brewers paid $10M for a guy, he would need to be one of the best on the team as that would account for like 15 % of the total payroll -- whereas if the Yankees pay $10M, they wouldn't necessarirly require as much production from that player since it's not as big of a chunk of their payroll.

I guess I wouldn't see that as necessary. The value basically describes how much that player should make on the open market, and that value is the same for each team (plus and minus perhaps some teams who stink having to overpay for a player). I think the value YOU describe is important as well, but should be a separate figure.

I guess I wouldn't see that as necessary. The value basically describes how much that player should make on the open market, and that value is the same for each team (plus and minus perhaps some teams who stink having to overpay for a player). I think the value YOU describe is important as well, but should be a separate figure.
(I feel the nested quote is warranted)

I've actually read a study that adjusts these numbers for each team's financial capabilities. So it can be viewed market dependent. I'll see if I can find the study.

EDIT: LINK, its actually from Fangraphs.

Good link. So, according to that, the Brewers reasonable spending amount should be about $1.8 M per marginal win added (as opposed to the higher league-wide number, which is inflated by the higher market teams).

Even using that number, most of the Brewer (position player) contracts still look pretty good. Not so sure the same could have been said about some of the pitchers (I'm looking at you Suppan and Gagne), but the value stat isn't available for pitching that I can find.

i'm anxious for them to add the value stat to their leaderboard section to make it searchable, but i can't imagine anyone coming in higher than the 192.2 million of value pujols has provided since 2002. especially considering his actual salary has been 60.3 million during that timeframe.

there's also a nice entry up at the top right now about the monumental nature of neifi perez's 2002 campaign.

Also noteworthy that Cameron's defense made him the third most valuable position player on the Brewers last year and the 23rd most valuable player in the NL. Definitely something that is being overlooked by those anxious to ship him out of town.

Archived