Brewer Fanatic

Do you Watch or not? And other Christmas traditions

pitchleague

Since I'm scanning the TV late tonight I noticed that TBS is running the annual 24 hour marathon of "A Christmas Story." Many people consider this a holiday classic while still many other people think it's moronic. Question is: how many of you watch it and do you think it's a classic or one of the worst Christmas movies? And why?

I like it. I remember seeing it in the theater with my aunts who took all the family kids to see it. I realize now that they did it for their own nostalgic reasons but I can understand why. It's not great but it's got some genuine funny moments in it. And if you've ever read Jean Shepperd's (sp?) books, he's a very gifted writer. And Bob Clark's adaptation of the book is spot on.

What other Christmas/holiday traditions do you all have? We also have to watch Christmas Vacation every year, as well as Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (sometimes the wife even gets out her action figures and plays along with the show), we put the CD jukebox onto just the holiday shuffle play for the month, and whenever we put up/take down the tree, we pick a random movie from our DVD collection and play it with a commentary track to listen to. (okay, that's a weird tradition but it has become a tradition so it's on the list.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

We've had a Christmas lights tour every December for years. Even Madison has some well lit houses and neighborhoods.

Kenosha is better decorated overall, and has a "Christmas Lane" neighborhood that is completely decked. We usually drive through there on Christmas Eve, but couldn't last night because of the weather. I'm hoping we can get there sometime in the next week.

We don't always watch A Christmas Story, but Charlie Brown Christmas is must-see for me (it's only two months older than I am). I am also a sucker for certain (but not all) of the Rankin Bass puppet animation shows: Rudolph, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, Year Without a Santa Claus.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The only Christmas movie I have is Christmas Vacation. My wife and I actually just finished watching it, but we don't watch it every year.
Bingo!

Christmas Vacation is must see. You couldn't pay me to watch any other Christmas movies. I got home from Christmas with family, popped in Vacation and drank a few gift beers.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

After my Christmas eve with my mom's side of the family, my parents, siblings, the wife and I return to home and watch "Christmas story". It has defiantly become a tradition. And while decorating the tree we always pop in Rudolph. If they are on, I never turn down Christmas Vacation or Scrogged.

oh, WOW! Now THAT'S a blast from the past. I haven't even thought of that one in a long time. I remember when it premiered on HBO, followed by Rich Little's A Christmas Carol, another classic show.

Thanks for the flashback!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I always have to watch "It's a Wonderful Life", it's probably my all-time favorite movie. I usually watch some version of "A Christmas Carol." The George C Scott version is very good.

Others that we watch often, but not every year are "Bells of Saint Mary's", "Miracle on 34th Street" (original), and "White Christmas". Usually watch the Rankin Bass movies Rudolph, Frosty, and Santa Claus with my son.

Yeah, I'm into the classics. I'm not a big fan of the newer movies. Have them all on video. My collection of 80+ Christmas CDs also leans toward the classics.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

All the Rudolph, Frosty, etc (Basically all the Rankin/Bass Christamas stuff)

I love Christmas Vacation, wife hates it. Booo!

We have the Muppets Christmas Carol, with Michael Caine as Scrooge, which is actually very well done. Michael Caine takes the role on with a relish.

Archived