Brewer Fanatic

Texeira to Yankees for 8/$180; Brewers Compensation for CC Drops to 2nd round (plus sandwich pick)

apereira2222
Anyone want to imagine how much expenses went up this summer when oil/gas/jet fuel were at record high prices? Based on that and their travel schedule, I would bet that operating expenses of baseball absolutely dwarf that of any other sport. Sure the NFL has hefty equipment expenses, but I wonder how much baseball spends on balls, bats, water, and field maintenance over a course of the season. In the NFL they have to take eight to 11 plane trips a year; in baseball they may do that in a month. The NBA might be close, but they play half as many games with half the roster (and no equipment expenses other than uniforms and basketballs), so I'd guess their operating expenses are less than 25% of that of baseball. Hockey is probably the closest since they have roughly an equal roster size and half as many games, but if you add in expenses of the whole minor league system... I wouldn't be surprised if the operating expenses of an average MLB club is 10x that of an average NFL, NBA, or NHL team.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Principessa21 wrote:

What I don't find fair is how there are owners that are worth millions more than Steinbrenner yet invest millions less in their team.

To be honest I think most teams are run separate from the owner's personal wealth. The dirtbag in Florida seems to be the only one really cheating the system and pocketing most of the money. I am not saying owners don't profit from their teams, just not as much as we think.

I have to agree with the others that NFL team expenses seem like a drop in the bucket compared to an MLB team's expenses. An NFL team has waht 53 players plus a practice squad compared to 25 guys on a MLB team plus enough players to make up 4 full MiLB teams per team plus a rookie squad. How are the winter leagues supported? Baseball is the only sport that actually has to fund it's development of players(except for the D-league in the NBA and that's only 16 teams)

Edit: I didn't want to start another thread on Tom Haudricourt, but since he covers baseball shouldn't it be expected that he would know how draft pick compensation works? I can understand fans not knowing, but his one job is to cover baseball. Does he even like or care about baseball? Maybe he got lazy covering a bad bumbling team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it should be required that owners sink their personal wealth into the team. As Logan said, an owner who spends nothing and pockets the profits is to be despised, but you have to work within your revenue stream, regardless of how much money you personally may have.

My feelings towards the Yankees up until about 4:35 today could best be described as indifference. They were just another AL team. Now I am drifting back into the HATE category. Activley cheering against them. I have a neighbor who is a Yankees fan and if he had a dog I would seriously consider kicking it.

Does your neighbor have children?

Objectively this is probably a better signing than the CC one and the Yankees are having a pretty good off season. The problem is that I am a Brewers fan and this really sucks. This is just a tick above worst case scenario. Sheets also signing with the Yankees would be worst case scenario. Not sure if they can sign another Type A free agent.(if that has been posted in this thread I will get around to reading it so you don't have to post again if you don't want to)

Sorry if this was covered, but iirc no -- the Yanks are tapped out on Type A FAs this offseason. I really can't argue against either CC or Tex, but how they rationalized giving 5 seasons to Burnett is just beyond me. The guy has actually has had more (& more serious) injury trouble than Sheets.

The New York Yankees: MLB's Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start.

I go away for a few days, and instantly upon my return I'm reminded why I hardly ever leave.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My feelings towards the Yankees up until about 4:35 today could best be described as indifference. They were just another AL team. Now I am drifting back into the HATE category. Activley cheering against them. I have a neighbor who is a Yankees fan and if he had a dog I would seriously consider kicking it.

Does your neighbor have children?

If he did I would buy them Red Sox shirts for Christmas.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived