Brewer Fanatic

Texeira to Yankees for 8/$180; Brewers Compensation for CC Drops to 2nd round (plus sandwich pick)

apereira2222

My feelings towards the Yankees up until about 4:35 today could best be described as indifference. They were just another AL team. Now I am drifting back into the HATE category. Activley cheering against them. I have a neighbor who is a Yankees fan and if he had a dog I would seriously consider kicking it.

Objectively this is probably a better signing than the CC one and the Yankees are having a pretty good off season. The problem is that I am a Brewers fan and this really sucks. This is just a tick above worst case scenario. Sheets also signing with the Yankees would be worst case scenario. Not sure if they can sign another Typa A free agent.(if that has been posted in this thread I will get around to reading it so you don't have to post again if you don't want to)

Silver lining is that at least we are not the Blue Jays.

I think the Yankees' revenue sharing / luxury tax payment is going to be higher than some teams payrolls for the next few seasons.

The Yankees are going to be paying less in luxury tax because of their stadium debt.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe the Rays will look to move Shields now as this is their window to compete, that's only good thing that can come of this that I can think of. Getting a 2nd round pick for Sabathia and probably Sheets is disheartening.

While i'm not happy about the draft pick situation, i did wonder if say the Brewers had got a first rounder for both, we'd have had

3 first round picks

2 sandwich picks

1 second round pick

Would the Brewers have really ponied up the cash needed to sign all those high draft picks to at least slot value contracts? If so, would they have then just drafted lesser guys in the following rounds to save some of the money they spent on all those high draft picks?

If so, would they have then just drafted lesser guys in the following rounds to save some of the money they spent on all those high draft picks?

If there are already 100 guys taken by the 3rd round how much does that really cost? It's so hard to determine the value of a player or how much they will get just by looking at the round they were selected in.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I don't really care. The drop of approximately 50 spots in the draft sucks, obviously, but I don't feel any differently about the Yankees than I did 12 hours ago. If they really think this is the way to build a club, I say let 'em try. It clearly doesn't work.

Burnett was an awful signing. CC was OK for 3 years.....giving any pitcher 7 years is idiotic. Tex is a very good player, but not nearly worth what they gave him.

Here's hoping they disappoint.

I wonder if a system like the NBA would be more effective? More teeth in the penalty for going over the 'cap.'

Also, I'd revisit the inability to trade picks. If you were a small market team and had a guy you knew you were going to lose, you could flip him for a pick or 2 and that might be of more value to the small market team. Of course an international draft as well.

The point is, who wouldn't trade 3 draft picks for 3 sure things and 3 of the best players in the game? Where's the cost to the Yankees here?

The cost can come if they have some injuries and need to trade for help. If the Yankees had the resources to get CC last season they would have been the ones in the playoffs instead of us. They are setting themselves up to have to keep paying top dollar every year in order to field a good team where some other teams can fill those same holes from within. Small thing for sure but having a depleted farm system did hurt them this season.

For what it is worth if the season started today the Yankees payroll would have gone down this year by a significant amount. They still have at least one player coming.

Good point. That last spending spree didn't help them win a WS so maybe this one won't either. How hilarious would that be? I don't know if there is anything better than a Steinbrener whining about things being unfair.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Baseball is a farce.

Actually, it's a game.

I can't get that worked up about this. Unlike the Sabathia signing, we were never in the race for Texeira so I have no real vested interest in this signing other than the pick devaluing somewhat. The Yankees sign players to monster contracts, snow is white and Nickleback sucks. Truth is truth.

There wont ever be a cap in baseball. Its not a captive audience like with the NFL.

The joke will be on the Yankees in the end. I can still see them easily missing the playoffs. An injured Burnett, no viable CF or RF and an aging LF and SS, no catcher, Sabathia disappointing....even if they add Manny, its realistic that they finish 3rd in that division next year.

So I've decided the Brewers are now going to be the Yankees in my dream world:

1. We just resigned Sheets to a 3 yr $60 million deal. Don't worry nobody else is offering him a multi-year deal.
  2. We just traded every good prospect we had for Jake Peavy and resigned him to a 5 year $100 million deal.
  3. We signed Adam Dunn to a 4 year $75 million deal.

Oh and we just gave three ludicrous and contracts that would never happen to a #2, an Ace and an overrrated OF who strikes out, hits a HR or walks for $235 million. Or put another way, approximately 8 years and $185 million less than what CC, AJ, and Tex just got. Simply amazing the numbers that these guys were signed to.

I hate baseball's salary structure. Of course we are all rooting against capitalism, but as has been suggested its beginning to look like a borderline monopoly.

I'll give up two or three seasons of baseball to get an even playing field (salary cap) for baseball.

The Yankees had a higher payroll last year than they have right now and missed the playoffs. Sabathia and Burnett could easily end up only a 1 win upgrade compared to what Mussina and Pettitte did last year. Teix/Cabrera isn't really a big upgrade over Giambi/Abreu. Much better defense and most likely worse hitting. This team right now still isn't a lock to take their division or even make the playoffs even with the signings.

The signing is in the best tradition of the Yankees since the 1920's. Periods of the Yankees dominating baseball may coincide with the peaks of baseball popularity. In the entertainment industry it helps to have widely recognizable heros and villains (Damn Yankees).

One reason a salary cap never seems to get far is that the owners and players would have to become partners in sharing revenue. The owners have shown in a long series of court cases that they are not very trustworthy. The owners probably don't want to open their books to the players anyway. The owners were not very convincing the last time they cried poor and since they have just broken all revenue records now is not the best time to try again.

I think a stronger luxury tax is needed. The initial one Bud got the owners to agree to was a good first step. The new stadium loophole the Yankees are exploiting now might have been a key to getting the luxury tax passed. This off-season may convince some teams to pass a more effective luxury tax the second time around.

Apparently Attanasio is actually suggesting that baseball needs a salary cap:

"At the rate the Yankees are going, I'm not sure anyone can compete with them," Mark Attanasio wrote in an e-mail to Bloomberg News. "Frankly, the sport might need a salary cap."

http://milwaukee.brewers....ws_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived