Brewer Fanatic

Texeira to Yankees for 8/$180; Brewers Compensation for CC Drops to 2nd round (plus sandwich pick)

apereira2222
Just saw on ESPN, Mark Texeira has apparently signed with Yankees. This is pretty puzzling to me as just earlier today it was reported that it was down to the Red Sox and Nationals. Even before that, I hadn't really heard much about the Yankees in the discussions. Buster Olney is reporting it's an 8 year deal worth $170 million. Unbelievable how the Yankees can literally just buy themselves a roster. What position does this put the Brewers in as far as the draft picks they will be receiving?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just garbage. I have to believe that the cries for a salary cap are going to ring louder, like Briggs said. How can anyone compete with a team that seemingly has more resources than most MLB teams combined? I'm sure the example will be that the Yankees haven't won the World Series since 2000. While true, there has never been an offseason spending spree like this one, on which they basically monopolized the top free agents.

I now find it even more ironic that the Yankees wanted the Brewers to pick up some/all of Cameron's contract in that potential trade. I didn't think I could despise the Yankees anymore than I did. They proved me wrong.

Follow me on Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Really disheartening. Any one else, we get the yanks pick. At least it's the american league. it really does make you wonder about the system - I generally don't whine about it -- it is what it is -- but when they drop $400 million on three guys - averaging about $20/year - it's disheartening.

The Elias Sports Bureau ranks free agents. Teixeira is (the only player, I believe) ranked ahead of CC Sabathia. The Yankees forfeit their first rounder to the Angels now instead of the Brewers because Tex was ranked higher. The Brewers will receive the Yanks' second rounder.

Nonononononono! This can't be happening. I've always hated the Yankees but now, wow. A second round pick for the best pitcher in baseball. Ridiculous. Is there a loop hole where they can sign Sheets and Manny so that we get a nice 5th round pick for losing Sheets too? Jeez.

As much as I continue to dislike everything about the Yankees, this is also a cruel reminder that the "take the draft picks" mentality is not the sure thing so many folks counted on it to be, either. I don't ever care to bank on the picks. Be careful what you wish for...

What I don't understand is why, after the year CC had last year, or how Teixeira rates higher. This should actually cost the Yankees a future #1 pick and or the protected #1 they have this year -- not that anything will change, but it does further point to the injustice of it. I sure hope every other team votes for a change in the procedures (at least for what elements aren't subject to collective bargaining) and eliminate as much as possible the Yankees' ability to monopolize in this way.

The only three entities that must like this are 1) the Yankees, their media, & fan base; 2) the players' union; and 3) ESPN.

All that said, not one game has been played yet, and there's not a single 25-man roster out there that's willing to hand the Yankees their free pass to the Series. I, for one, will continue to root as strongly as always for a few strategic injuries and a nice ugly collapse like they had last year.

I thought the draft pick compensation would be based on the order a player was signed. Now I'm wondering if it goes by the number of years a player signs for? Regaurdless, we got hosed. I hope Tex, Burnett, A-Rod, Jeter, Wang, Posada, Cano, and the bullpen catcher all tear ACL's in spring training. Excuse me while I go vomit.

The Elias Sports Bureau ranks free agents. Teixeira is (the only player, I believe) ranked ahead of CC Sabathia. The Yankees forfeit their first rounder to the Angels now instead of the Brewers because Tex was ranked higher. The Brewers will receive the Yanks' second rounder.
This answered my question that I was about to post. Thank you.

@(#*)@(#*&)@$]*@^)*(&^%)(*&^)@]*$&^@#)@^%&^%@#($*!(*^

I can bypass the filter...

I would definitely rate Teixeira ahead of Sabathia. Sabathia is great but not as ridiculous as he was in Milwaukee. Teixeira is probably the best first baseman and top five hitter in the game. There's also a much greater risk in signing Sabathia (or any pitcher) long-term than a first baseman.

It just sucks that the Yankees got both.

Archived