Brewer Fanatic

Car accident advice?

Hammer

Hey y'all,

I was in a weather related car accident yesterday. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle the claim/Dr.'s bills? I am going to a Chiropractor this afternoon because my neck and back hurt so bad that I could not even get myself out of bed this morning. I was deemed to be 0% at fault...the other driver received a citation for driving too fast for conditions.

Any advice? Do you think I need a lawyer or could a regular dude handle this alone?

Thanks,

Hammer

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

When I got in my car accident, they said that I would have to pay for it, and then send them reciepts. Then the Insurance companies go after each other. The other persons insurance will toss you some numbers to try to get you to drop the claim, but be careful, and I wouldn't settle until you have a full recovery. Back pain, and such can linger for a long time. I messed up, and my shoulder still gives me problems from time to time. Just be sure that you feel alright before you sign anything or say anything that you will settle. They record everything.

Contact your insurance agent immediately. You will need to know at least some of these things:

- The case number assigned to the accident
- The name and department of the officer who handled your accident
- The other driver's name and insurance company

The official accident report will have all of the above information, but you need to know what department took the accident complaint.

Something that often gets overlooked is that if you are not at fault, you do not need to contact your own insurance company. I was rear-ended (no injuries and damage under $1,000) and I handled the entire claim through the other driver's insurance company. The other company paid for 100% of the repairs and even set me up with a rental car when my car was being fixed. That being said, I do not recommend that in this instance since there are injuries, potentially inuries that will stay with you your whole life.

As far as lawyers go, the ambulance chasing variety will be contacting you soon enough. Law firms often send employees to local police departments to look through accident reports to find potential clients. As mentioned earlier, make sure you document everything, most importantly doctor visits.

You're very likely do be dealing with the other party's insurance company, and you may not need your agent at all.

I've been in two of these 0% at fault things. The first time, I called my insurance company, and they told me I'd be expediting things by dealing directly with the other driver's company. Personally, I think they were just lazy, but what the heck.

The second time, knowing the drill, I didn't contact my agent or company at all (different agent and company this time). The adjuster for the other driver's company showed up with a check the day my car was repaired. Simple as that.

The complicating factor in your case, of course, is the need for medical follow-up. I'd start with the other guy's insurance, then ask for advice from your own insurance people you're not getting what you need.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived