Brewer Fanatic

Question about draft order

According the Baseball America, the Brewers supplemental pick for losing CC is at #37, after the comp picks received for Burnett and Ibanez. If CC is rated as the number 2 overall free agent, why is it that the Mariners and Blue Jays get to pick earlier for losing inferior players?

If this is indeed not a mistake, its one more reason I hate the MLB draft. The Yankees, who are going to sign 3 type A free agents, still get a first round pick for not signing last years first round pick, while only having to give up a 3rd round pick for the lowest of the three type A players they sign and a second round pick for the second best type A player, who could just happen to be the best pitcher in all of baseball. What a joke.

I guess I dont have too much of a problem with that. Baseball is the only sport where you get compensated for a player desiring to leave your city so any pick at all should be considered a gift. As far as the difference between the 37th or 48th pick, it really doesnt matter in my book. The Brewers have had great success with the draft under Jack Z, but the new SD may not be as savvy or fortunate, so you shouldnt lose any sleep over this issue.

I'm not really losing any sleep over it, its just curious to me how that happens. If Burnett and Ibanez result in higher picks than Sabathia, then who else does too? While it may not seem like a huge difference, you do have 3 or 4 less options when your pick comes up, which may or may not result in the guy you wanted being selected before you get the chance.

Heading into the offseason many stated that the worst thing that could happen with CC is if both he and Teixeira went to the Yankees. And yes, that's what happened.

When it comes to the compensation picks from the team that signs players away, the picks are handed out in order of the ranking of the free agent signed. Since the free agents they signed were ranked Teixeira-Sabathia-Burnett, the Angels get the Yankees' first-round pick, the Brewers get the Yankees' second-round pick and the Blue Jays get the Yankees' third-round pick.

The compensatory picks in the supplemental first-round are distributed in order of the worst teams to lose a Type A free agent. The first pick of the sandwich round, no matter who else signs this offseason, will go to the Mariners, since they were the worst team to even have a Type A free agent that they could lose. Teams with multiple Type A free agents cannot get consecutive picks, unless every other team that loses a Type A free agent has already been compensated. That's why the Brewers' sandwich picks for Sabathia and Sheets will not be back-to-back.

Once compensation is handed out for Type A free agents, compensation for Type B free agents kicks in.

Refer to the official draft resource thread for updated picks and other info pertaining to the draft and draft order.

• 1 month later...
What happens if Sheets goes unsigned through the draft. Then let's say some other team signs him later in the spring/early summer. Do we get comp pick(s) in 2010? Has such a precedent ever occured (ie, Clemens back in '05?)

That's a great question biedergb, and there is no precedent for that. I remember Clemens wasn't offered arbitration that year, since the old rules stipulated that the previous team couldn't negotiate with such players until May 1st, or something like that.

If I had to guess I would say that the draft compensation would expire on draft day, but I'll have to reach out to Jim Callis and see if he has any idea. This is possibly the weirdest offseason I have ever witnessed, at least as it pertains to free agents.

Thanks Colby. I had forgotten that Clemens wasn't offered arby. While I highly doubt that by June that Ben Sheets will be unemployed, I also wonder how things will settle for the remaining FA core. I agree -- a very weird offseason. Even the 2002? offseason (the one where there was almost a stoppage due to the CBA and the post dot.com/9-11 economy hanging over) was quiet, but not like this.

You lose any comp picks once the draft begins. I can't find a link to prove that, but that is the rule. So, as long as Sheets signs before draft day, the Brewers will still get their extra picks.
This appears to be correct according to THIS from MLBtraderumors. That's the closest form of proof I could find.

With Oliver Perez and Jason Varitek both re-signing over the past several days with their 2008 ballclubs, most of the Brewers picks bumped up a pair of spots (at least according to my running list, which started out as a "worst-case" scenario for draft pick compensation -- refer to reply #10 in the draft resource thread).

Still available that could effect comp picks are Type A FAs Manny Ramirez (many seem to assume he'll end up back with the Dodgers), Orlando Cabrera, Orlando Hudson and Juan Cruz. Type Bs include Paul Byrd (could retire, expected to take first few months off), Mark Grudzielanek and Dennys Reyes (originally thought that he would re-sign with Twins).

• 4 weeks later...
I'll predict right now that by June the Yankeees will figure there pitching isn't nearly as good as they thought, and they'll sign Ben Sheets. The Brewers will get the Yankeees 4th rounder and a sandwich pick yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived