Brewer Fanatic

What can you throw?

And That

Left handed pitcher. A few years ago, back in college I hit 83 on the gun. Fastball, curveball, change up. My fastball tailed in towards righties and away from lefties and was my most consistent pitch. Curveball was inconsistent, but great when I threw it down in the zone. Up in the zone it would hang. Change up was a work in progress.

That was three years ago, and I haven't been gunned since. So I can't tell you what it is at today, probably not quite the same, but who knows.

I am over 30 and still can hit the high 70's or low 80's. My easiest fastball is a 2 seamer that really ticks off my 1st baseman in softball since it is a natural "quick grip" for me at 2nd.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I throw up.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I haven't pitched since my college years, but back then I was low 80s with the fastball. My problem was I threw it too straight and over the plate. I needed to be a bit more wild.

I had a decent curve and a change that was ever-evolving, but becoming reliable. I had a good knuckler but never threw it because my motion was so different, you'd know it was coming.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

In high school (almost 20 years ago) I could only touch the mid 60s. For one season, though, I had an absolutely amazing curve and a decent slider. For reasons still unknown, I completely lost my breaking pitches the following year. Every once in a while I'll still try to snap one off while playing catch but it's never been the same.

I never pitched in HS other than screwing around, but when I was really warmed up I could hit 82 on the gun. I doubt I could get up to 70 now, after having elbow problems. I partially tore the ulnar collateral ligament playing softball in college, the ligament made famous by Tommy John surgery. Haven't thrown consistently enough since to see how much I can crank it up without injuring myself again.

Can throw a change and a 12-6 curveball.... that actually breaks 12.6% of the time.

I dunno how accurate the Miller Park gun is, I touched 69 on that once, otherwise it's normally mid 60's. I hate throwing there since you don't warm up at all, so yer arm hurts. I had to ice my elbow and entire game once after three pitches. I'd like to see how fast it is after playing catch for 10 minutes.

My friends and I still play pickup games on Sundays. I throw 2 seam or 4 seam (which ever one is more consistent that day), I mess around with a curve ball, which is sometimes on, or it falls it bounces about 10 inches from the plate. I learned last year I have a filthy ephus pitch by keeping my arm motion pretty close to my fastball motion.

I used to have a huge Warren Spahn like windup, but dropped all that and started throwing like Turnbow (wild and everything). But I became way more consistent from the stretch.

I ruined my arm as a kid trying to emulate the delivery of Gene Garber. This was the early callup have your back to the batter and pivot with a near underhand arm slot Gene Garber. I now avoid picking up a baseball at all. If I throw one, my arm will hurt for three days.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In my mid 20's I could do 83-85, topped out once at 88. After TJ surgery and a lot of complications, the best I've done since is mid 50's. I'm more or less left handed now. At the Snappers game last year I tried it left handed and hit 68, which hey, I'll take that from my off-hand!

I hit 80 at a baseball camp last spring, but in games threw more around 75.

I'm hoping to get my fastball consistently in the 80's this season, thats my 4 seam.

My 2-seam is probably my best pitch. I actually get decent movement.

I got a OK curveball, but I throw it more like a slider.

I also sometimes throw a changeup thats around 10-13 mph slower than my fastball.

I'm a senior in HS.

I throw a temper tantrum every time I see snow. Then I throw the snow...

My easiest fastball is a 2 seamer that really ticks off my 1st baseman in softball since it is a natural "quick grip" for me at 2nd.

I had a left-handed SS that threw the same ball to me a 1B. You guys suck.

I hit 79 about 8 years ago as a sophomore in High School. I could throw a decent slider once out of every twenty tries but it was so inconsistent and I usually ended up hurting my arm trying. I never threw on a gun again until about two years ago and only threw on average at about 65.

I've been trying to throw a curve now for about 20 years, still no luck. No break. Can't throw the knuckle either. No velocity to speak on my fastball either, maybe mid 60's. I blame my dad. See, my dad is left handed. And when I was a wee little one I was showing definite left handedness. My dad (not a sports guy) didn't want me to have to deal with the headaches of being a lefty. So the folks kept taking everything out of my left hand and placing it in my right. That's right, if it wasn't for my dad I'd be in the show throwing gas!!

Also a lefty pitcher. In high school (8-10 years ago) I threw my fastball in the mid to upper 70s. I had kind of a 3/4 to 7/8 arm slot which gave me a little movement away from righties and in to lefties.

However, my best pitch was the curveball. I threw it about as much as I threw my fastball. It broke from 11 to 5 most of the time and I had better command with the curve than my fastball. I once got into a 3-0 count with three fastballs so I threw three curves in a row to strike the batter out. The umpire told me after the game he'd never seen a pitcher throw a curveball on 3-0. Lefties had no chance against me, don't think I ever allowed a hit http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

If I got my arm warmed up now I would probably sit in the low 80s. I'm planning to get back into some amateur baseball this upcoming summer if I have time.

Archived