Brewer Fanatic

Favorite albums / songs of 2008

patrickgpe

I know EdgarDiazRocks usually starts this thread but its getting close to the end of the year and I wanted to get this started.

It is hard to make a top 5 but here we go.

5. TV on the Radio " Dear Science"

4. Adele "19"

3. Girl Talk "Feed the Animals"

2. Bon Iver " For Emma, Forever ago"

1. The Stills "Oceans will Rise"

as far as songs go

10.Kings of Leon "Sex on Fire"

9 The Lackloves "Hallmark Stars"

8. Little Jackie "28 Butts"

7. Kayne West "Love Lock Down"

6 My Morning Jacket "I'm Amazed"

5. Black Kids "I'm not going to teach your boyfriend how to dance"

4. James "Waterfall"

3. Kings go Forth "You're the One"

2. Sam Sparro "Black and Gold

1. The Constellations "We're here to save the Day"

Some of the albums I've liked that came out this year:

"Women As Lovers" - Xiu Xiu

"Hideaway"- The Weepies

"Keep It Simple"- Van Morrison

"The Mande Variations"- Toumani Diabate

"Talento De Barrio"- Daddy Yankee

"In Ghost Colours"- Cut Copy

"Jukebox"- Cat Power

"So Many Nights"- The Cat Empire

"Hope For The Hopless"- Brett Dennen

"Digi Snacks"- RZA (as Bobby Digital)

"Shine A Light"- The Rolling Stones

"Working Man's Cafe"- Ray Davies

"Consolers Of The Lonely"- The Raconteurs

"Third"- Portishead

"Real Emotional Trash"- Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks

"Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust"- Sigur Ros

"Lay It Down"- Al Green

"@#%&*! Smilers"- Aimee Mann

"Just A Little Lovin'"- Shelby Lynne

"A Virtual Landslide"- Pete Molinari

"Gossip In The Grain"- Ray LaMontagne

"Attack & Release"- The Black Keys

"The Stand Ins"- Okkervil River

"Day Trip"- Pat Metheny Trio

"Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!"- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

"untitled"- Nas

"All Rebel Rockers"- Michael Franti & Spearhead

"Nude With Boots"- Melvins

"The Best Of Bobby Womack: The Soul Years"- Bobby Womack

"The Bedlam In Goliath"- The Mars Volta

"Asking For Flowers"- Kathleen Edwards

"Venus On Earth"- Dengue Fever

"Narrow Stairs"- Death Cab For Cutie

"Not 4 Sale"- Kardinal Offishall

"Stay Positive"- The Hold Steady

"Flight Of The Conchords"- Flight Of The Conchords

"Down In New Orleans"- The Blind Boys Of Alabama

"Saturdays=Youth"- M83

"Modern Guilt"- Beck

My favorite album of the year (so far) is (despite the fact that all songs were previously released):

"Nigeria Rock Special: Psychedelic Afro Rock & Fuzz Funk In 1970s Nigeria"- various artists

Hmmm,

I got a buncha records this year, though I don't know if they came out officially this year or last. Most were bought at shows or through mailorder. Here we go (In order). Most (if not all) are bands you've never heard of, but totally worth checking out if your into pop punk, hardcore, or somewhere in the middle. I think all the bands are on myspace in some form.

1. Thomas Function - Celebration

2. Osmoniks - Party Fever

3. Future Virgins - Gravity 7"

4. Midwest Beat - S/T 2x7"

5. Taco Cat - Shame Spiral

6. Bear Proof Suit - BYOBOC

7. Hidden Spots - Every Second 7"

8. Vancouger - Canadian Tuxedo LP

9. Black And Whites - S/T

10. Nobunny - Love Visions

Honorable Mentions:

Dead Dog - S/T LP

Dillinger Four - Civil War LP

Used Kids - Hoovercraft 7"

I only feel comfortable judging the albums I owned, and my buying power was severely limited this year due to several life changes, so here is my ranking of all the new music I bought in 2008:

01. TV on the Radio - Dear Science (proved to be worthy of my high expectations)

02. Radiohead - In Rainbows (does the Jan 1st. physical release date count as 2008?)

03. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (Band of Horses + Brian Wilson = winner)

04. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs (makes up for the atrocity that was 'Plans')

05. Black Keys - Attack & Release (my first delve into them, solid release.)

06. Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath (sprawling and crazy, but worth the effort)

07. Sigur Rós - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaus (another fine release from them)

08. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (edit out the tripe in the middle and just go with songs 1-3 and 7-13 and this is my winner)

09. Beck - Modern Guilt (I take Beck for granted, but this one was bit uninspiring for me)

10. Nine Inch Nails - The Slip (haven't taken the time to listen to it yet, so I reserve judgment)

Album-wise:

1.) Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes/Sun Giant EP (they're both so good, and I can't choose between them, so I'll just combine them for listing purposes)

2.) Bon Iver, For Emma, Forever Ago

3.) Blitzen Trapper, Furr

4.) Okkervil River, The Stand Ins

5.) Beach House, Devotion

6.) MGMT, Oracular Spectacular

7.) Girl Talk, Feed The Animals

8.) Ra Ra Riot, The Rhumb Line

9.) M83 - Saturdays = Youth

10.) TV On The Radio, Dear Science

Other albums I enjoyed:

Conor Oberst, Conor Oberst

My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges

Portishead, Third

Deerhunter, Microcastle

Department of Eagles, In Ear Park

Frightened Rabbit, The Midnight Organ Fight

Shearwater, Rook

Vampire Weekend, Vampire Weekend

Elbow, The Seldom Seen Kid

I'm sure I missed a few albums that I dug over the past year, so I might edit this later, but that's a pretty good idea of what I was into, I suppose.

Song-wise (in rough preferential order):

Fleet Foxes, "Drops In The River"

Bon Iver, "Re: Stacks"

Blitzen Trapper, "Furr"

Fleet Foxes, "Sun It Rises"

M83, "Kim & Jessie"

Bon Iver, "Skinny Love"

MGMT, "Kids"

My Morning Jacket, "Thank You Too"

Conor Oberst, "Get-Well-Cards"

Fleet Foxes, "White Winter Hymnal"

The Radiohead, Bon Iver and MGMT albums are all technically 2007 releases.

2008 was not nearly the year 2007 was for music, but it was better than 2006. I too bought a lot less music due to budgetary and baby constraints.

Something along the lines of...

1. The Black Angels: "Directions to See a Ghost" (A move into slightly more diverse musical territory, but still contains the grinding VU-meets-Doors bluster that makes them so unique.)

2. Nomo: "Ghost Rock" (Rooted in afrobeat, though much more than just that. One of my favorite things to listen to whenever I'm doing anything other than trying to sleep. It moves your hips.)

3. Portishead: "Third" (Does not approach the genius of "Dummy" and doesn't need to. I like it better than their self-titled sophomore release. Very much influenced by 60's psychedlia.)

4. M83: "Saturdays = Youth" (A trip back to the 80's, rooted in modern electronic studio techniques. Difficult not to enjoy on some level unless you totally despise the 80's or the French.)

5. Sian Alice Group: "59.59" (Moody, atmospheric, jazzy post-rock with beautiful vocals. Doesn't do their live show justice for some reason.)

6. The Dodos: "Visiter" (This album grew on me the past few months. Sort of in the 1990's Modest Mouse northwest indie folk vein. Very good musicianship.)

7. Ghost of the Russian Empire: "The Mammoth" (Shoegaze that sides on the melodic side of the genre as opposed to the noisy side of the genre. I couldn't tell you five words sung on the whole album, but the vocals just seem to be there to add another musical element.)

8. Spiritualized: "Songs in A&E" (Not Jason Pierce's strongest work - I have it as Spiritualized's fourth best album - but, it's good to have an album from him after all this time."Baby I'm Just a Fool" is worth the price of admission.)

9. Collections of Colonies of Bees: "Birds" (Milwaukee-based post rock band. Not that that affected how I feel about the album. The third track is breathtaking.)

10. Earlimart: "Hymn and Her"(I love Earlimart even though everyone says they are boring Ican'thearyouIhavemyheadphonesonandI'mlisteningtoEarlimart.)

Honorable mentions for... Cut Copy "In Ghost Colours"; F**k Buttons "Street Horrrsing"; Drive-By Truckers "Brighter Than Creation's Dark"; The War on Drugs "Wagonwheel Blues"; Sia "Some People Have Real Problems"; TV on the Radio "Dear Science"; Hercules and Love Affair "Hercules and Love Affair"; Autechre "Quaristice"; Dosh "Wolves and Wishes".

I have, but have yet to listen to, the new Stereolab, of Montreal and Christian Fennesz albums also.

Holy crap.. another Sigur Ros fan? Who woulda thunk!

We're out there, just gotta know where to look. But I can count the number of people I know personally who are fans on one hand.

My Morning Jacket "Thank You Too"

I was kind of tepidly into MMJ after 'It Still Moves' but was completely blown away by 'Z'. 'Evil Urges' me was a step backwards, and to me this song was easily my least favorite of the album. It's just so weirdly out of character for the band to the point where it really affected my enjoyment of the disc. They still put on a legendary live show regardless of what I think of some of the source material and their October 3rd show at the Riverside in Milwaukee was probably the highlight of my concert-going life.

By the way, "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2" all the way, baby!

Bon Iver, For Emma, Forever Ago

I forgot this on my list. I almost find it hard to imagine that someone from Wisconsin, and I say this lovingly of the area, created this beauty. Almost makes me suspicious! An awesome release, though. Definitely top 5 on my list.

EDIT: I cited MMJ's "I'm Amazed" as a crappy song, and after further review, it's tipped the scales towards 'tolerable'. I still stand by my assessment of "Thank You Too".

The Radiohead, Bon Iver and MGMT albums are all technically 2007 releases.

I left Radiohead off my list because of its digital release in 2007, but I broke my own rule with MGMT because I hadn't heard it until 2008 (and I kind-of base my year-end lists off of what I had last year, to a point). Bon Iver's album, however, was only self-released during 2007 and then later received a wider release in 2008, so I'm tempted to think of it as a 2008 release as most of the critics have done this year.

They're just so weirdly out of character for the band to the point where it really affected my enjoyment of the disc. They still put on a legendary live show regardless of what I think of some of the source material and their October 3rd show at the Riverside in Milwaukee was probably the highlight of my concert-going life.

I hear that - however, I just really dug portions of that album. Very strong, true rock and roll music. It's no Z (I'll definitely agree with you there), but it's definitely not a bad record. Also, in a two-week span, I saw that MMJ show at the Riverside, followed by Ryan Adams at the Overture Hall in Madison two days later, and Fleet Foxes the following week at the Pabst Theatre. MMJ was the epitome of what a rock and roll show is supposed to be, and blew the other two artists out of the water (an especially substantial feat, as both Ryan Adams and Fleet Foxes are considered strong live acts).

I hear that - however, I just really dug portions of that album. Very strong, true rock and roll music. It's no Z (I'll definitely agree with you there), but it's definitely not a bad record. Also, in a two-week span, I saw that MMJ show at the Riverside, followed by Ryan Adams at the Overture Hall in Madison two days later, and Fleet Foxes the following week at the Pabst Theatre. MMJ was the epitome of what a rock and roll show is supposed to be, and blew the other two artists out of the water (an especially substantial feat, as both Ryan Adams and Fleet Foxes are considered strong live acts).
Ahh, to have disposable income! I considered going to both of those other shows (and Bon Iver back in August) but having a baby and buying a house severely limits the amount of fun I'm allowed to have. (Not that I don't tremendously enjoy both, though.)

I agree that Evil Urges isn't a bad record by any means, it just fell short of my lofty expectations. The last half of the disc (from "Librarian" on) is killer though.

I refuse to acknowledge the digital era in which we live.

Well, the Bon Iver album was a physical release in 2007. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Bon Iver's album, however, was only self-released during 2007 and then later received a wider release in 2008, so I'm tempted to think of it as a 2008 release as most of the critics have done this year.

I think Pitchfork reviewed it in 2007, and that's how it really took off. I definitely remember listening to it a lot around Christmas last year.

I still need to see MMJ live sometime. I thought the new album was mediocre, not because of the weird tracks so much as it just didn't live up to their standards, no matter what genre they were trying to assimilate.

I only bought 2 new albums this year.

1. The Offspring: Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

2. Metallica: Death Magnetic

Songs:

Metallica: "The Unforgiven III" (This song has kind of grown on me)

The Offspring: "You're gonna go far kid"

The Offspring: "A lot like me"

The Offspring: "Takes me Nowhere"

Is that Black Angels album really worth it? They opened for QOTSA and put on a really good show. But after about 4 songs, it all sounded pretty much the same. I totally developed a crush on the drummer, she's cute and plays drums. Delicious.

oh man, i completely forgot about this one.

Jay Reatard - Matador Singles '08

it's incredible, and while I know most of the people who post about music on here are more indie guys, I think this is totally worth checking out. it's got that garagey pop edge that is the huge buzz these days. super great stuff.

myspace.com/jayreatard

Top Albums of 2008 for me.

1. Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid (I'm listening to it as I type, which only confirms its magnificence)

Others in no particular order
Fleet Foxes -
Kings of Leon - Only By The Night
James - Hey Ma (They are back!)
Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
TV On The Radio - Dear Science
Keane - Perfect Symmetry
Portishead - Third (Even a so-so Portishead album is head and shoulders above almost everyone else)
Last Shadow Puppets - Age Of The Understatement (Scott Walker 4 as done by Arctic Monkeys! - yay!)
KT Tunstall - Drastic Fantastic
Ting Tings - We Started Nothing

and a bunch of others. Not a stellar year by any means (and quite a few late 2007 that I listened a lot to, such as Yeasayer, MGMT, Underworld, Hot Chip, Radiohead and the magnificent Mark Ronson album)

Wait a minute Robbo, aren't the Ting Tings some kind of kids band that plays songs on Noggin/Nickelodeon?

As for me, time to un-hip this list....

Testament-The Formation of Damnation

Metallica- Death Magnetic

Buckcherry- Black Butterfly

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived