Brewer Fanatic

Weeks vs Phillips

brewtank34

I hope I'm not the only one here that thought this, but two years ago, when Weeks was brought up, Phillips was brought up too. There were a lot of comparrisons to eachothers game, and the school of thought was that Weeks was a bit superior to Phillips d/t Weeks' power potential.

Two years later, Weeks has had to battle some injuries and has some mental makeup concerns (putting too much pressure on himself- resulting in not being able to swing at the right pitches). Phillips, on the other hand is doing quite good. .282avg, 20 HR's and 60 RBI's. Those obviously are the type of numbers we all expected out of Weeks going into his 2nd full season.

I gotta admit that Phillips' numbers are exactly what I was imagining when all the early hype of Weeks was being thrown down our throats via the media.

The question I pose onto all of you is this....

Will Weeks get to the point of producing Phillips type numbers, or are we going to have to watch the up and down rollercoaster that we've seen out of Weeks thus far????

Who will have the better career in the long run???

My belief...this year is going to continue to be a battle, because the best move that he can do is sit out and heal the wrist. He's not going to do this though. Gotta love his spirit. Next year, he could have a breakout season if all goes well.

In the long run...I have a feeling Phillips will have the better career.

Your thoughts.....

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/pimp.gif

Phillips has been awesome this year for Cincy. My thoughts are that Weeks will put up Phillips type numbers next year. Yeah Weeks has been very bad this year, but he is starting to come around and hes too talented to give up on this soon. If 2009 comes and he is still putting up poor numbers then find me.

Edit: I also think the key for Weeks is playing a full season without any kind of ailing thumb or wrist injury.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Phillips d/t Weeks'

What's d/t mean? It's probably obvious, but I don't always get those things.

Will Weeks get to the point of producing Phillips type numbers, or are we going to have to watch the up and down rollercoaster that we've seen out of Weeks thus far?

I think that once Weeks gets healthy he could put up very good numbers. I like to think his 2006 numbers before he got hurt are an indicator of what we might see from Weeks over the course of a full season.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I am not seeing the same player when I see these two. First off to say that they were expected to be the same is not true. Weeks had a much higher upside. I think that Phillips has for sure broken out, but again he only had a .751 OPS in his "breakout" season last year, and a OPS at .800 this year. Comparing their seasons last year Weeks actually had a better season with a .767 OPS. Just give Weeks time and throw away what he has done this season, he will not dissapoint you.

Quote:
Lets keep in mind that Weeks had an incredible 2005 in AAA (in a full season)

That wasn't a full season it was just over 200 AB's. He came up to the majors that year after we traded Spivey for Ohka.

d/t means: due to

Weeks and Phillips were both young, hightly talented 2B. I tend to remember both being compared with eachother a lot.

I'm crossing my fingers for Weeks to prove me wrong.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/pimp.gif

The only thing that concerns me about Weeks is the obvious - wrist and thumb injuries. He has such a quick bat that he puts tremendous pressure on the wrists/hands/thumbs. It will be very interesting to see if he can stay healthy or if those will just be recurring injuries. And he can't really change his swing, as the ability to reach his potential offensively lies in the quick bat.

Without injuries, I have no doubt we'll see Phillips-type numbers or better from Weeks.

Brandon Phillips was good last year and pretty much great this year, but don't forget that he got off to a collosally bad start, hich caused the Indians to give up on him. I think Weeks has a lot in common with him still...i think Rickie will eventually turn into one heckuva major league baseball player, it just might take him another year or two. Brandon Phillips certainly took some knocks on his way to becomming what he is now...

Phillips was highly touted with the Indians but he had some major up and down years with them. He debuted 6 years ago and had almost 400 at bats 5 years ago. If Weeks puts up a .242 on base percentage this year, then maybe we have to worry, but right now he is way ahead of Phillips' pace.Still I think that Weeks will settle into a yearly .375/.475/.850 with 25 homers and 25-30 steals in the prime of his career. Right now I would put a lot of money betting that Phillips has a better year this year and maybe next, but Weeks has a better career.

I find it interesting that so many say Weeks is struggling so badly, yet his OPS while playing injured is just 63 points lower than Hardy's, who is actually healthy. Weeks will never have a sub 330 OBA like Phillips or Hardy, which will always give him an advantage over those players.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Phillips was brought up in 2002 and is 26 years old, he has a career OPS of .709 with a career OBP of .301. He is an extremely streaky hitter and just like last year I imagine his OPS will drop down, he's still mostly living off his big hot streak this year.

Weeks was brought up in 2003 and is 25 years old, he has a career OPS of .737 with a career OBP of .344. He has suffered through injuries that have suppressed his stats and his numbers are mostly low because he is coming off a horrible stretch of baseball.

Assuming Weeks gets healthy its a no brainer for me, Weeks will be the better player.

Phillips gets a big edge because right now he is hitting in that bandbox that the Reds built. I don't think he would have the power numbers he does right now if he was playing in a more neutral park.

Both these guys are going to be plus offensive players.

This thread is making me believe that we here are getting a little spoiled. Remember when the Cubs had the #1 ranked farm system? How about the Diamondbacks, LA Dodgers and LA Angels of late? All these farm systems were loaded with future stars. Can anyone compare to the major league production we have produced/

Fielder, Hall, Braun, Hardy, Gallardo, Villanueva and Hart have all become solid average major leaguers to all stars/ potential MVP's. History has shown that some future stars make it, but a lot do not. Most don't come close to reaching their potentials. Yes, Capellan did not make it, and Rodgers/Jones have been hurt. Even Parra has come back from an injury to make it to the big leagues.

We have had an astonishing success rate with our prospects. Weeks is highly talented, and has been injured. Doug Melvin has said repeatedly that they had expected Weeks to struggle for most of this season, and then come on strong in the end. Even if he DOES flame out, are we in any position to complain about how well our prospects are doing in the majors? History has shown that SOME of these guys are going to flame out. So far, we have been more than fortunate.

Also, Weeks' weakness was supposed to be defense when he came up. No one seems to be complaining about his defense, but his offense is in question. He has worked hard to make his defense major league average. There is no reason that he won't work just as hard on his offense. If DM is right, he should start hitting soon. At the very least, I think we will see a different Weeks arrive in Arizona spring, 2008.

Archived