Brewer Fanatic

Manny to the Yankees?

monty57

This may be better placed in the rumors section, but according to ESPN's bottom line crawl, Manny Ramirez is expecting a 3-year offer from the Yankees. With no one else offering a three-year deal, it could be likely he'd take it.

For those of you better in the know, would this be their full allotment of Type A free agents, meaing they'd no longer be in the hunt for Sheets and Lowe? I think if this goes down, and Tex gets signed, we'll start to see a lot of free agent signings follow fairly quickly.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Ken Rosenthal thinks that Manny to the Yankees is a good bet. He explained that the Yanks are lukewarm on Tex because they expect to move A-Rod to first in a year or two, and that Tex's bat simply isn't as clutch or reliable as Manny's.

I guess the thing I'm interested in (and why I thought it may have relevance on a Brewers' fan site) is that the Yankees can only sign a certain number of Type A free agents. They've signed CC and AJ, and I believe they can only sign one more. Therefore, a signing of Manny (or Lowe or anyone other than Tex) would mean that the Brewers would get the Yankee's first round pick for CC and they would be out of the running for Sheets. We'd then have a better shot at signing him, or at least get someone else's first or second rounder for Sheets rather than the Yankee's third rounder.

Other than that, I really don't care what the Yankees do, unless it involves a trade with the Brewers. Even though it once looked likely that they would end up with four 2008 Brewers (CC, Sheets, Hall, Cameron) on their roster, I'd still root for the Rays.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I hope they do sign him....hes getting older and I think three years would be a mistake, but most importantly it would assure us their first round pick still because they cant sign Tex, and it would assure us at least a shot of getting another first round pick because they cant sign Sheets.

Brian Cashman said it's not true.

Ken Rosenthal thinks that Manny to the Yankees is a good bet. He explained that the Yanks are lukewarm on Tex because they expect to move A-Rod to first in a year or two, and that Tex's bat simply isn't as clutch or reliable as Manny's.

This is the first time I'm hearing about this move. No way I believe it. If they're moving anyone to first, it'd be Jeter. But then again, he probably wouldn't agree to it...

Yeah, I was thinking earlier that Jeter was supposed to be the one moving to 1B eventually. A-Rod is probably a bit better defensively at this point than Jeter anyway.
For sure Rodriguez is better at 3rd than Jeter at short. He's below average, and some would say he's the worst shortstop in the majors. Either way it's clear he's declining. If he moves (which is 'if' because he's a stubborn sonofabitch) I would think it would be to the outfield because even though he not as fast as he used to be, he still has a great arm and good eye. Also, some would argue that it would be more beneficial to have a strong bat clogging up first.

A few people here have said that the Yankees can only sign 3 Type A or B FA. I believe that is coming from the reading of a CBA clause that sounded exhaustive but wasn't. I have read elsewhere that all teams could sign 4 FAs this year, and some teams could sign more, depending on how many FA left the team.

I have speculated that one of the reasons that Cameron was attractive to the Yankees was that he would be a nice addition to the team without using up one of the FA sign slots and that he wouldn't cost the Yankees much in value. It makes sense to me, but I have no idea if that was part of the motivation.

I think it's possible that Jeter could play in the OF for a year or two. He's athletic enough. His bat would presumably be below average there down the road, but he should be able to play either corner OF spot decently.

The Yankees seeming lack of interest in Teixeira is very surprising to me. He's the best position player at their greatest need, they don't have anyone in the system that looks good there and they had the money to get him. Either they are just laying low and letting the market for Teixeria set itself so they can come in last minute and beat it, or some in the Yankee FO really believe the clutch garbage.

How as A-Rod gone from being (one of) the best defensive SS to a first baseman in 5 years?

Alex put on about 10 pounds of muscle in between 2004 and 2005. Once he knew that he would be the 3B and had the full offseason to prepare for it, he decided that he could give up some speed and range for muscle.

Either they are just laying low and letting the market for Teixeria set itself so they can come in last minute and beat it

Well, I guess you nailed that one

If Manny and Lowe realized how old they were and took deals with less years they could probably be signed by now.

They do realize how old they are. That's why they want a multi-year deal. Since the contract will be guaranteed, they'd rather sign for more years even if they average less $ per year.

~Bill Walsh

I think we can pretty much guarantee that Manny won't be going to the Yankees now. It will be interesting to see what the market is for Manny now. As far as I know, he doesn't have any teams pursuing him. The Dodgers may come back, but with no competition for Manny, they don't need to bid high.

Archived