Brewer Fanatic

Mulder?

Tisko

As a former Oakland Athletic fan, I can only hope the Crew does not sign him.

Mulder is really done as are some of the other players Beane traded away. If I were a GM I would never deal with Beane (I know, getting Mulder does not require dealing with Beane.............. this time).

Mike

DH- True and there are others. I'm just worried that for the most part Beane deals players who are done or close to it. However, as suggested by Paul, a minor league deal would be certainly worth the risk. I just don't want to give away prospects or cash. It is a long shot with Mulder. His arm is still not where it once was according to the article. It sounds more like agent hype to get him a deal.

Mike

With Capuano just coming off of an injury, we need more depth in case of injury. It would be nice to have have Villanueva, and McClung stay in the back of the bullpen all year. I am not sure if Mulder will ever be very useful again, but on a minor league incentive based deal I do not see that much risk. There are better options in my opinion though.

A minor league deal would be fine ala Capuano's. A major league deal would make no sense. He may need more than a rehab stint in the minors and you don't need him taking up roster space.
I don't think it would really be that big of a deal to give him a major league deal, and then cut him if he stinks in S/T.

He's a free agent so he gets paid for the full season if signed and then cut in spring IIRC.

Please the Brewers don't need to regress back to past years and sign also rans .we need to move foward and get quality Fa in here.

They're not talking about signing Mulder to be the #2 starter, they're talking about signing him to a low risk, incentive-laden deal. What's the harm in that?

They're not talking about signing Mulder to be the #2 starter, they're talking about signing him to a low risk, incentive-laden deal. What's the harm in that?
No harm in that, I would welcome it. Maybe Mulder has something left in the tank, although for low risk deals I would have preferred Brad Penny.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Not sure how Penny is low risk when he would cost $5m+ for a guy who was terrible last year might not pitch much this year and the Brewers only have like $10m to spend.

Penny and Mulder aren't comparable. Mulder's not been a good pitcher since 2005. That's 4 years ago. Penny was an All Star in 06 and 07.

No way should the Brewers give Mulder a major league contract unless it's non guaranteed. He needs to earn a major league job by pitching in the minors first and proving he's both healthy and effective.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I say start throwing retreads against the wall and see if any stick.
Just as long as we are looking for quality FA, it can't hurt to try the quantity route also. I just hate to think we are back to the days of it being our only prayer of finding someone.

According to Melvin, he has yet to get in touch with Mulder's agent.

Mulder has pitched in just six games over the past two seasons because of shoulder woes, but he has been linked to the Brewers several times by the Boston Globe, which reported Sunday that Milwaukee and Oakland were, "big on the comebacking pitcher."

Not so, at least from Milwaukee's standpoint.

"I really haven't contacted his guy [agent Gregg Clifton]," Melvin said.

--Also not interested in Lowe, Oliver Perez or Garland, but still might have an interest in Sheets.

"...they could be players for Ben Sheets, who has pitched all eight of his big league seasons in Milwaukee.

"We're looking at everything right now," Melvin said.

--Hard to know if the Brewers still truly have an interest in Sheets or not. Sort of hint they are open to Sheets returning, but have yet to really make a move to get Sheets back, other than offer arby.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...mil&partnerId=rss_mil

Archived