Brewer Fanatic

Would you sign Derek Lowe for 3/50 ?

My fear is that the Brewers actually are (or will) get into the bidding, and it is just a ploy by Boras to get a team like the Dodgers to pay what they really want. Then it ends up like the CC thing where Melvin is waiting weeks to hear from a guy we have no realistic chance to acquire.

I'd have no problem paying Lowe say 3 yrs and $40-45 million or so. He has basically no injury history and should be good for a 3.4-ish ERA for at least a couple more years. I just don't think he really wants to come to Milwaukee...probably yet another case where geographically, Milwaukee is just screwed.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time Melvin was asked about Lowe, he made it pretty clear that Lowe wasn't interested in coming to Milwaukee. Maybe that's changed over the past couple weeks or maybe it's just Boras trying to start a rumor to get as much as he can for Lowe.
Lowe is probably the best free agent pitcher available at the moment, though Perez has the most upside if, and that's a bit if, he can become a bit more consistent.
Lowe worries me due to the contract he would seek, the lost of a 1st round pick and he's home and road splits.
Over the past 3 years, Lowe has a road ERA over 4 each year. Overall, during the past 3 years, he's ERA at home is 2.95 and on the road it's 4.24. In 2008, Lowe had he's greatest home and road splits, with a 2.30 ERA at home and a 4.42 ERA on the road. And Dodgers Stadium is known as a pitchers park.
Prior to signing with the Dodgers in 2005, during his final two seasons with Boston, he had an ERA of 4.47 and 5.42.
And it's not the homeruns that has hurt him as much as just giving up more hits on the road than at home.
In 2008, at Dodger Stadium he gave up 88 hits in 117 innings, while on the road he gave up 106 hits in 93 innings. Over the past 3 years, those numbers are, 283 hits in 320 innings at home and 326 hits in 308 innings on the road. He has also given up slightly more walks and has fewer strikeouts on the road then at home during the past 3 years.
Even with those numbers, he still figures to be a better pitcher than the other free agent pitchers available, other than possible Perez. It's just a matter of how much is he worth and is he a low 4.00 ERA pitcher away from Dodger Stadium or somewhere below or above that.

Gallardo, Lowe, Parra, Bush, Suppan would be a pretty nice rotation, I just can't see Milwaukee offering enough to lure Lowe away from a big market team.

Is there some kind of unwritten rule that Suppan can't go the bullpen because of his contract? Just because they're stuck paying him for 2 more years doesn't mean they shouldn't have the flexibility to stick McClung or someone else in his rotation spot if he's not doing the job.

As for the rotation order, I think Lowe would be number one over Gallardo for now just because of his proven track record.

dpapo: The home road splits aren't necessarily tied to the ballpark. It could well be Lowe pitches better at home because he gets better rest sleeping in his own bed.

The last time Melvin was asked about Lowe, he made it pretty clear that Lowe wasn't interested in coming to Milwaukee. Maybe that's changed over the past couple weeks or maybe it's just Boras trying to start a rumor to get as much as he can for Lowe.

See, again, that's my fear...it's probably just Boras doing the usual rumor starting to make LA or whoever think Milwaukee is getting in on him...maybe even making the Brewers think Lowe is interested. Then he just ends up signing elsewhere, and Milwaukee ends up being used yet again.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Is there some kind of unwritten rule that Suppan can't go the bullpen because of his contract? Just because they're stuck paying him for 2 more years doesn't mean they shouldn't have the flexibility to stick McClung or someone else in his rotation spot if he's not doing the job.
No but Suppan is a better #5 pitcher than McClung. As much as everyone hates Suppan he isn't a bad #5 pitcher. Suppan is only an over paid #5 pitcher.

And yes Suppan's contract will keep in the rotation and it should up until the trade deadline passes in July 2010. Last August showed that Suppan can put together one good month and you'd like that to happen say in June and move him in July.

MLB Rumors today listed the Brewers as one of 5 teams pursuing Lowe. The other four are the Braves, Mets, Phillies and Angles. It just mentions the team, and the info was swiped from the Atlanta Journal Constitution. I doubt the Brewers are front runners, and with Boras as the agent, good luck trying to get Lowe without overpaying with $'s or years.

Going back to the original tread title, I would think Lowe would sign that contract the minute he got it. Since Doug has made no indication that he is at all interested in Lowe and the fact that the other 4 teams are big market teams, I find it highly unlikely that the Brewers will make any offer that would get Lower interested.

I would love to have him for 3/40 but I just find it very unlikely. If the Crew does get a starter it will more than likely be a Looper, Wolf, Garland type.

Archived