Brewer Fanatic

Would you sign Derek Lowe for 3/50 ?

As for his hand being tied, didn't he offer CC $100 million?
I think it was Ennder who explained the CC situation the best.

CC was a player considered outside of the realm of payroll. He was the one player that Mark A (And Doug) could splurge on because he was a sign of the Milwaukee Brewers dedication to building a long term champion. A real commitment to winning. CC alone would have greatly increased attendance and merchandise sales. He was the Milwaukee Brewer version of Ichiro.

Lowe would make the Brewers better. However, CC would make the Brewers legitimate in the minds of casual baseball fans.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boston Globe writer Tony Massarotti, wrote that the reason the Mets only offered 36 million is that the yankees, phillies, and red sox have only had preliminary discussions with Lowe, and are not currently interested in him. I would imagine that if the Mets do not up their offer, Lowe will look closer at teams outside of the northeast. Sadly I doubt the Brewers will be one of those teams.

Would you sign Derrek Lowe for 3/50?

Yes definitely, if I can use Attanasio's money.

Seriously that's too much for Lowe. I'd rather have Sheets 13 wins and hope against hope that this is the year he doesn't have a late season injury. I have high hopes for McClung & Bush this year but Parra & Suppan rocked my confidence last year. Hopefully we don't keep Soup in the rotation just to justify his inflated contract. If we can get Lowe for 3/36 lets do it. It would buy time until we can build up the pitching in our minor league system. Nobody appears close to ready yet.

I agree. Bush has been one of our biggest contributors over the past several years and gets nothing but criticism. 13 wins wouldn't surprise me a bit as his bad stretches seem to be getting shorter and he's consistantly healthy.

I'm hoping for a 3.50ERA and 16 W's from the former Demon Deacon. Hopefully his longball tendencies are a thing of the past...or he just has a Capuano-esque fluke 18 W season.
Yeah if he can cut down on giving up the gopher balls he could reach those stats. I would say an ERA around 4.15 with 13 or 14 wins is very obtainable for Mr. Bush.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

On Hotstove just 10 minutes ago (not sure if this is a rerun, or if these shows are always "fresh"), they stated that Boras rejected the Met's offer for Lowe and stated that they are seeking Burnett type money for Lowe. They also mentioned the Brewers as a "Mystery team" in the mix for Lowe...whatever that means.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

On Hotstove just 10 minutes ago (not sure if this is a rerun, or if these shows are always "fresh"), they stated that Boras rejected the Met's offer for Lowe and stated that they are seeking Burnett type money for Lowe. They also mentioned the Brewers as a "Mystery team" in the mix for Lowe...whatever that means.
I would like to get Lowe, but not for Burnett money. I'm not even sure Burnett is worth Burnett money.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'm a huge fan of Lowe. He's started at least 32 games for 6 straight seasons with no DL time. He probably will outperform Burnett (again) for next couple years, but he's not worth that kind of contract. Of course wanting that and getting it are 2 different things.

Lowe is probably going to get 3/$45 million with an option. If Melvin thinks he can still move Cameron, then he should go for it.

Lowe has a skillset that plays in any park and historically ages well so I'm not against overpaying a bit to get him if management thinks we are 1 SP away from the playoff race. I'd like to see him sign for a bit less than he is asking for of course.

Using Lowe's Marcel projection (3.65 ERA for 185 IP), he's about 38 runs better than a replacement level pitcher (~5.5 ERA). Using 10.5 runs/win and $4.8 mil/win above replacement, that makes him worth $17.4 mil next year. So 3/$50 gets the yearly salary about right. It doesn't really adjust for the risk associated with signing a 35 year old to a 3 year deal, however (even a historically healthy one). I'd rather give him 2/$38 than 3/$50.

The Hot Stove report was just Heyman speculating, I don't think it was based on anything. I thought I read that Melvin was interested in Lowe but was told that Lowe would get better offers elsewhere. But I may be misremembering. If the Mets try to low ball Lowe and if there aren't any other teams in the running I would definitely see if he was available. He might be available for 4/$60M. He would probably be worth it for the first two years and then the Brewers would regret it for the last two. I'm just not sure that the Brewers are close enough in 2009, even with Lowe to make that kind of move.

3/$42M would get it done, but I am not behind such an offer. Ultimately, it comes down to us not having the greatest of defensive wizards at our corner IF positions. I'm a proponent of Prince at 1B, but with Hall/Gamel at 3B (or whoever ends up there from our current system), I just would rather have a fascist.

Fielder was the only guy on the Brewers infield who ended up with a negative in the fielding bible awards. I have little problem with a ground ball pitcher. I would prefer a fly ball pitcher, but a ground ball pitcher doesn't make me cringe like it would have in past years.

Fielder -12

Weeks +5

Hardy +19(third in the majors)

Hall +7

special notice for Durham and his -12

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived