Brewer Fanatic

Bring back GG? (Gary Glover)

I thought Dillard was strictly reliever, and that they had all but gotten a shiny embossed placard for Villy in the bullpen. McClung could probably be moved to the rotation, but he loses some zip on his fastball when he starts. As for Gary Glover, I would think it would be more realistic to bring back the knuckleballer from the Mariners, which is ludicrous in itself.

Any thoughts about bringing back Gary Glover as a long man/6th starter for 2009?

It would allow the Brewers to move Villanueva, Dillard, or McClung to the rotation, and he is about average for a 5th starter.

Villanueva is not a long man. He's a credible candidate to close. Dillard's a long shot just to make the team as the 12th pitcher. He'd have no shot at the rotation, Glover or no Glover. McClung is currently in the rotation.

When I saw "GG," I thought this was going to be about trying to get Gabe Gross back.

I'm all for adding pitching, but there has to be better options than Glover. Maybe, just maybe, as an insurance starter at AAA, but not as someone that realistically could start for the Brewers more than once in a "call him up, start him for an injured pitcher, let him go" type of deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I say no to either Gary Glover or Gabe Gross, whichever one we're talking about.

Glover would be fortunate to have a 0 VORP. I've got to think there are a ton of guys out there who could do at least that and have more experience. I'd far sooner try out someone from our AAA team and see what they could do--at least then there's the potential to be surprisingly adequate. Is Glover even left-handed?

At first I was tempted to edit the subject line to clarify which GG we're talking about...but the posts here have been far too entertaining for me to want to edit anything just yet.

I remember Gary Glover mostly for his G-Love nickname (just as you can't say only "Joe Dillon," you have to say "Crazy Joe Dillon"). But he also won that freebie game at the end of Mark Attanasio's first season as Brewers owner. We flipped our tickets from that game for some really nice (section 112) seats for a game the following April - when Chris Capuano got the start and looked into my soul when everyone else figured he was eyeing first for his sweet pickoff move. But I digress.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived