Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Trot Nixon and Chris Duffy to minor league deals with invites to spring training

jwill535

They have about 10 million the way I see it, and if they make a move that takes on significant salary that will be it, there won't be money left for a significant upgrade anywhere else. The can upgrade 1 of the rotation, bullpen, impact bat, or bench, but only 1 with the money they have. It's obvious they aren't spending any more money on the bench with Hall already there, so really we're talking about 1 player for the rotation, bullpen, or position player. I don't see the value in in paying 8 million for 1 inning at a time for top back of the pen guy, they can get more bang for the buck out of a starter or position player. So then it comes down to what starter would be worth it for 10-12 million per year, what 3rd tier guy should we add to make our rotation better? I'm curious because I honestly don't see it, unless Sheets doesn't find anything and we can get him back for that sort of deal, which seems highly unlikely, what 3rd tier guy is a significant upgrade over what we have? Then it comes down to a guy like Dunn who's probably undervalued around the league, but the team would have to make a trade to find a spot for him, and once he's signed that lessens the trade value of player that would have to be moved. A similar situation to Fielder/Overbay... everyone knows Overbay was going to get moved to make room, which hurt his value on the trade market. I would trade the player first and then sign Dunn or Burrell, but I don't see that happening, that's my little pipe dream.

Totally agree with you, Crew. That's why I like the idea of Johnson of Smoltz for a one year deal. This allows McClung to the bullpen with Villy as our closer. Although I'd love a LH 3B, I don't think one will be coming our way, so I can live with our offense as it is, as long as we fill our most glaring hole - starting pitching.

As far as Nixon goes, our current roster would put Gwynn as the primary backup OF. How would everyone feel if one of our OF went down for a couple of weeks and Gwynn had to get significant playing time? Even without an injury, the #4 OF generally gets 1-2 starts / week, which I feel is too much PT for Gwynn. Nixon is signed to a minor league deal. If he shows he can cut it, then great, we have a LH backup corner OF with some OBP skills, which is exactly what we need. If he can't cut it, he cost us AAA money. While Dunn would be wonderful, he's only feasible if we can trade Hart for the SP we need (which is possible) and if Braun can move to RF. While this would be great if it happens, it still wouldn't make me upset that we signed Nixon.

I'll be okay with this offseason if we can get one more arm for the starting rotation, whether that's a good young MLB ready player we'll have for a long time, or a one-year contract for someone like Johnson or Smoltz. I would have liked to ink Kerry Wood or Trevor Hoffman, but we don't have the money, so Villy will likely be our closer, which means we really have to have McClung in our BP, as he did a good job there last season. Then, we need to fill up our bench with low cost role players (a spot Nixon could fill very well), and we need to sign some veteran AAA pitchers as insurance, which is why I'm glad Cappy signed.

Maybe I should see the sky falling, but when I look at the team, I see roughly the same team that started last season with playoff aspirations. They lose Sheets, but they hopefully get Gallardo for a full season. Plus all the young players are one year closer to their prime. We have some holes, but we need minor surgery, not a heart transplant.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, I think people are just getting edgy because no significant moves have been made yet.
Bingo. I dont think its hatred for these moves as much as being nervous that so far we've lost much more than we've gained. Even expecting Sheets and CC gone it still kinda stings as it becomes more official and we are left to talk about signings like Jorge Julio and Chris Duffy. There's still time, Im encouraged that DM didnt just take the salary relief for Cameron.

Maybe Melvin realizes what a boneheaded move it was to sign Suppan because now Suppan is hamstringing this team and who they can pursue. It seems to me that maybe Melvin does not want to get into that same situation with anther player or pitcher and he is passing. Although many here seem to want Doug to give someone like Randy Wolf or Jon Garland 10-12 million a year just for the sake of having something to talk about.

The Julio/Nixon/Lamb moves are safe and cheap and if only one works out it looks brilliant, and if none work out nobody will remember them because we invested zero in signing them.

Hart, Weeks, and Hall don't exactly have much trade value. Outside of Cameron, most of the players that actually have value and could be used to acquire a missing piece are players that people around here don't want to move.

Brian the Automator wrote:

It doesn't seem like Cameron, Weeks, or Hall have enough value to get pitching. Hart, maybe.

The fact that so many people immediately pointed out that 3 or 4 of the Brewers starters are of little to no value is exactly part of the reason I'm concerned. As I've admitted, I don't have specific answers because I'm not a GM and don't know all of Melvin's available options. Would it be worthwhile to consider moving Fielder or Hardy? Gamel? Depends on what the return could be. Maybe he doesn't really have any good options. I just hoped (still hope) that the offense would receive some kind of overhaul to shift more away from the low-OBP, high-SLG, high-strikeout dominant identity the Brewers currently have.

Who exactly could they get and what might they have to give up? I don't know the specific answer, but it seems like with all of the personnel shifting that goes on during an MLB off-season, there really should be opportunities for a team (coming off a great attendance year) to improve the makeup of the roster, that are better than signing another washed-up vet to a spring training invite.

If you look around the league, you aren't seeing a ton of big-name signings outside New York and LA. The economy has ravaged the league, and nearly everyone is a seller. The prices on the middle-tier guys is sure to fall significantly compared to years past. Superstars will still get big money (CC, Burnett, Furcal) while minimum salary (or close) guys are getting scooped up quickly (Nixon, Duffy, Julio here, Boone, Michaels in Houston, Izturis in Baltimore, Everett in Detroit, etc.). If those middle of the road guys (especially those who declined arbitration) want a job in 2009, they're going to be looking at significantly less money than they expect.

What TheCrew07 said on page 2 of the thread.

It goes in your mouth, I think.

The way I read that, it sounded like the issue was on the other end.

Maybe Melvin realizes what a boneheaded move it was to sign Suppan because now Suppan is hamstringing this team and who they can pursue.

Let's also remember that as of August 31st Suppan had an ERA of 4.49, and in the month of August he was 5-0 with an ERA of 3.00. IIRC, he was hurt in the month of July (thus the poor July numbers - as of June 22nd he had an ERA under 4.00), and I think whatever it was reaggrivated in September but he didn't let on because they didn't have any other options. If he can revert back to that August form and finish with an ERA around 4.50 he will be more valuable than people give him credit for. Pitching costs money - hell, Wood got 2 years and $20M guaranteed in a down economy.

OK, I just like the fact that I dated, and dumped, Suppan's ex-girlfriend from high school.

Hart, Weeks, and Hall don't exactly have much trade value. Outside of Cameron, most of the players that actually have value and could be used to acquire a missing piece are players that people around here don't want to move.

It's not so much that people don't want anybody to be moved, it's that the last two trades Melvin has made, he gave up far too much value for what the Brewers got in return (Linebrink, Sabathia).

This is one of those statement that pops up from time to time on here that I totally disagree with. Without Sabathia the Brewers don't even sniff the playoffs last year ending that horrific streak of 26 years. We no longer have to be reminded every year of the 26 year streak, the Brewers can actually claim to be a playoff contender when trying to attact free agents, or trade for guys with no trade clauses rather than be a doormat. Giving up LaPorta was well worth it, and getting the picks for Sabathia will help rebuild the farm system.

The Brewers gave up nothing of note in the Linebrink trade to get a guy who was supposed to help a very beleagured bullpen in an attempt to make the playoffs and ended up with picks again for the farm system. Thatcher has been fairly mediocre to ineffective as a LOOGY in the best pitchers park in baseball, Garrison is out for a season with an arm injury making his futer very uncertain, and Inman is on his way to becoming a middle reliever if he gets past AA.

I just don't see how the Brewers have given away far too much for what they got in return.

The downside of these moves is obvious. While there may be little financial downside, if Melvin has checked off "get lefthanded bat" off his to do list by signing Trot Nixon, that is a problem. There are better alternatives even outside the Dunn, Abreu, Bradley threesome. Kotsay may not be much better offensively than Nixon, but Kotsay can still play CF as well as either corner spot, so signing him would make signing Duffy unecessary. Now it's likely that either Duffy or Gwynn will have to make the 25 man roster.

The signing of Trot Nixon might result in the loss of both Nelson and Iribarren, both of whom might actually be as good if not better than Nixon at this stage.

Could this end up being a good move? Sure. If Nixon returns to being a very solid offensive player and Duffy (who failed in Pittsburgh mind you) turns into a serviceable CF. But it has a downside. If Nixon is the hitter he was in Cleveland in 07: .251/.342/.336, then it will be a waste of a roster spot.

Well stated, MJL. I agree with everything you said. You have to give to get...the nice thing about both trades is that we didn't give up any immediately MLB ready players to get them (OK, I think Thatcher was up soon after, but that's about it). I'd gladly trade those guys all over again just to have had the experience of attending one playoff game at Miller Park. In retrospect, I think we would have been as well off not trading for Linebrink, since he didn't have that much of an impact, but hindsight is 20/20.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Wonderful post Crew07. I agree with you; the best move is to try and pick up a young pitcher who can grow into the rotation with Parra and Gallardo. Then Doug should try and buy out a year or two of Bush's free agency. Add in Jeffress in 2010 and you have a talented young rotation.

Remember, when Doug took over he pointed to the Twins as his model for rebuilding. Well, the Twins almost never do any moves of impact, the Matt Garza trade notwithstanding. Mostly they try to have a competitive team and hope for a lot of luck to make it to the playoffs. In the last 4 years they've won 83, 96, 79, and 88 games. They've fielded good teams the last several years, but never really a championship caliber team. Like the Twins the Brewers aren't in a position to plug weaknesses with big free agent signings every winter.

Please don't point it out. I am a proud owner of a calendar. An impact move could still be made. However, as more time passes signing Trot Nixon to a minor league deal, more and more of the talented players will get gobbled up by other teams.

I just think it's early to get worked up due to the lack of signings around the league. There haven't been too many signings that I wish the Brewers would've gone after. I think after the holiday season things will start to pick up. If we're in the same situation a month or so from now I'll be worked up. There just haven't been that many signings so far.

The downside of these moves is obvious. While there may be little financial downside, if Melvin has checked off "get lefthanded bat" off his to do list by signing Trot Nixon, that is a problem

But you are just making assumptions here, who knows what Melvin is thinking. These are minor league deals, if he can get a LH bat that is better he'll just release these guys.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I can see why people are less than enamored with these moves. Years of our "major" signings being guys like David Hulse, Kevin Reimer, Lyle Mouton, and Luis Lopez is sure to make people leery. It doesn't matter that it's a whole new front office, and that the franchise has turned the corner, it's going to resonate with fans who remember those awful, awful times. It happens, it's human nature.

Obviously it's not fair to judge the present and future based on past moves, especially moves made by a different GM and front office, but I can see why people have that inferiority "we get the leftovers" complex.

Years of our "major" signings being guys like David Hulse, Kevin Reimer, Lyle Mouton, and Luis Lopez is sure to make people leery.

But the thing is that in years past, those signings were major league deals and guarantees to be on the 25-man. These two moves were minor-league signings with no guarantees other than an invite to Spring Training.

I think people are frustrated with the Tom H. blog announcement that Melvin had a LH OF bat ready and would be signed soon and the next thing we see is Trot Nixon. If it was going to be a washed up player to a minor league deal with hopes of maybe being the 5th outfielder/PH why even mention it and get people's hopes up? In my view it isn't that guys like this are bad deals it just seemed a little bit of a let down after making a point of saying a LH outfiedl bat is nearly signed.

it just seemed a little bit of a let down after making a point of saying a LH outfield bat is nearly signed.

Yeah -- I guess I understand this, I don't understand why DM would use the word "nearly" -- unless Trot Nixon signs his name really really slow. A minor league deal should be a slam dunk.

As for the Melvin bashers, and yes, that's what you are doing, give the guy a break. Who do you want him to sign? Manny Ramirez? Mark Texiera, who's price just went above and beyond BOSTON'S budget?

Let's look at the math....

Mark Texiera > Most every other dude in baseball > Trot Nixon > Kevin Costner.

I think a lot of DM bashers are hoping for someone in between.

The fact that so many people immediately pointed out that 3 or 4 of the Brewers starters are of little to no value is exactly part of the reason I'm concerned. As I've admitted, I don't have specific answers because I'm not a GM and don't know all of Melvin's available options. Would it be worthwhile to consider moving Fielder or Hardy? Gamel? Depends on what the return could be. Maybe he doesn't really have any good options. I just hoped (still hope) that the offense would receive some kind of overhaul to shift more away from the low-OBP, high-SLG, high-strikeout dominant identity the Brewers currently have.

DougJones, I like your post, and share some of your concern, but I don't think people are saying that players like Hart and Weeks have little to no value, it's just that they will not net the young #1/2 pitcher that we would all like to trade for. In order to get that type of player, you would need to trade someone of Fielder's caliber. The best way I can say it is "what would you accept in return in a trade for Gallardo?" Personally, I don't want to trade Fielder or Hardy this offseason as it would seriously hurt our offense, as their in-house replacements aren't quite ready. I don't have any inside insight, but I would bet a lot of money that Gamel isn't going to be traded.

I have no doubt that Hart could be traded for a young #3/4 ceiling pitcher (which may be what happens), or a better pitcher in his last year of arby (which I doubt will happen). However, that would leave RF wide open with no one on the current roster to fill it. Many posters have discussed trading Hart for the young pitcher and then signing someone like Dunn or Abreau. This would be nice, but we'd better be sure Dunn/Abreau is going to sign with us before making the trade, or we'd end up seeing Trot Nixon as our everyday RF. Because of his potential, Weeks could also net a decent-but-not-great SP similar to what Hart would return. Once again, you need to ask who would play 2B if Weeks is traded. The answer would be to sign a FA, bring up Escobar before he's ready and move either him or Hardy, seriously decreasing their overall value, or play Iribarren, which would once again, hurt our offense. Maybe it's worth it, maybe not. I tend to lean towards "not."

I will agree that Hall has little to no value. He actually could have negative value in a trade. But, technically, as the RH part of a platoon, he's less than half of one of our eight regular starters, so I guess I'll have to learn to live with him on our roster for two more years.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 1 month later...
From that article, it looks as if Nixon is going to be this year's version of Kapler. If he makes the team as a reserve left handed option off the bench and contributes similar to Kapler did last year, it could be the best transaction of this offseson.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

From that article, it looks as if Nixon is going to be this year's version of Kapler. If he makes the team as a reserve left handed option off the bench and contributes similar to Kapler did last year, it could be the best transaction of this offseson.

I hope so because if Trot Nixon turns back the clock to the Trot Nixon of 5-6 years ago he won't be just a reserve, he'll probably take playing time from Corey Hart, unless Hart takes a step forward.

Yeah, I highly doubt that we'll ever see the .500+ slugging percentage days again, but one thing that Nixon has always done well is carry a good OBP. As recently as 2006 Nixon carried a .373 OBP with a very nice 60 BB/56 K ratio. I would wager that his '01-'03 form is lost and gone forever, but if he can even just recapture what he did in '05 (.275/.357/.446) and '06 (.268/.373/.394), he could be a very nice reserve OF who could spell Hart against tough righties.

If we can catch a little lightning in a bottle, both he and Lamb could provide some much needed balance in our lineup (lefty bats, low K/solid OBP players). Just 2 years ago (2007), Lamb posted .289/.366/.483, and in '06 it was .307/.361/.475. I know he was miserable in Minnesota last year, I have no explanation for that, and he's fairly poor defensively. But if somehow both he and Nixon could reproduce offensive seasons like they've had in the not too distant past, it could really improve the balance in our lineup and bench,

Archived