Brewer Fanatic

Haudricourt suggests LH OF signing is near

If we're going for a backup outfielder, I'd prefer Hinske to Kotsay. Hinske's a better hitter and I'd be okay with Hart playing CF to give a day off to Cameron and letting Hinske play right. Hinske can also play first and third in a pinch if needed.

If it is Kotsay, he and Macha have an interesting history together. The following is from an ESPN article back in 2006.

"...According to a report in the paper, Macha said that general manager Billy Beane made on-field suggestions that made the manager uncomfortable. Specifically, he said the GM wanted Bobby Kielty to start against left-handed pitchers, but Macha started lefty Mark Kotsay in the playoffs against Minnesota's Johan Santana and Detroit's Nate Robertson and Kenny Rogers.

Kotsay made critical comments about Macha after the manager was fired.

"Billy wanted Kielty in the postseason, and I play Kotsay, and then Kotsay comes out and says bad things about me while I basically got fired because I played him," Macha told the Chronicle. "It's kind of sad."

Macha added: "That's one instance, but it happened a lot."

"...The Chronicle contacted Kotsay on Saturday, but he refused to comment. Beane said Macha's recollection of events was a "total fabrication."

"The A's have moved on," Beane told the Chronicle. "Unfortunately, Ken's memories of some things and the A's memories of some things are a little different, and the most important thing is that we've gone our way and he's gone his way."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2634647

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Thanks, dpapo. I was just about to post that. If it is Kotsay, I plan on sending this to TH so he can ask Melvin about it. I don't think he ever got a quote from Kendall on this stuff.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Cliff Floyd would be a very nice bench option IMO. He obviously can't play CF, and has never been able to stay healthy, but he has always put up good numbers. He's better against RHPs, but he's not horrible vs. LHPs over his career.

Mark Kotsay makes sense too, since he can play CF, although not very well according to the numbers. Both Kotsay and Floyd can play 1B as well, and Floyd in particular would be a nice DH option in interleague.

I was just trying to work out the possibilities. (It seems unlikely to me that DM would sign Kotsay if he was going to keep Cameron, but I could be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time.)

It makes sense to me, I think they're trying to line up a lefty bat for the bench, because they'll be starting three rightys in the outfield again.

Dunn is horrible defender, his UZR/150 is -71.2 in RF, or -13.5 in LF. He's even worse at first base, he's make Prince look gold glove.

Unless we are planing on doing a complete shift in the outfield, and lose either Cameron or Hart, and hide Dunn in LF, it would be a dumb signing. Plus DM has said hes going to reduce payroll via backup player salaries. I don't think Dunn would be cheap....

Eric Hinske is the kind of 'meh' signing that Doug would seem to make at this stage in the game. Not opposed to it, but it's nothing exciting. I don't think anyone who he'd sign right now would be anymore than a back-up, so i'm not expecting big things. That said, Dunn would be sweet.

Was listening to XM Home Plate this morning, where Rosenthal and Duquette both remarked that until the Manny and Teixiera situations resolve themselves, guys like Dunn, Burrell, Abreu, etc (mid-level guys after the big ones) won't be signing anywhere.

I truly believe that Doug has a "bigger" plan than what has been happening thus far, he's just playing the waiting game and letting the market establish itself. Dunn just makes too much sense for this club, in my opinion. He'll come relatively affordable and is of far more value than the type of pitcher we'll get for that money. I still feel Hart will be traded for pitching.

Archived