Brewer Fanatic

Gifts for Dads

aracko

I really want to get my dad a thoughtful gift but the guy has been quite fortunate and very hard working and as a result lives well . What do you get a guy who literally doesnt need anything?

he is into sports but not a diehard by any means. Drinks wine on occasion as well as the good Brew on occasion. he is really interested in Wind/Solar Power and just last year was trying some (very small time) experiments with fans. He is retired and just needs to keep his noggin pumping. He likes fishing but has pretty much everything. He likes to garden but splits time between here and his cabin in the woods in the summer, so gardening isnt probably the most logical for watering/harvesting. He is a putzer and around 58 years old.

I don't know if you have siblings, but if you all go in together, and depending on where his cabin is, maybe charter a fishing boat. The Salmon charters in Door County are pretty fun. Also, my boss does some up in the Chippawa Floage around Eau Claire somewhere for muskies. Maybe take a weekend, or a long day, and just hang out doin some fishing.

I really want to get my dad a thoughtful gift but the guy has been quite fortunate and very hard working and as a result lives well . What do you get a guy who literally doesn't need anything?
Reading this part of your question makes me think of a product-of-the month club type thing. They're available for all kinds of food and beverages (even if he literally doesn't need anything, he presumably still eats), and for some you don't have to do a full year's worth of months if you don't want to. I just googled the phrase "of the month club" and got over a million hits.

Just as an example, we got a fruit of the month club for my mom one year (the "maverick" fruits from Harry and David; they have cosmetic blemishes but the food quality is the same)and she enjoyed it. It's not like she couldn't buy her own fruit, but she said it was fun to get something every month.

The potentially neat thing is, if you hit upon a good "month club" idea, you can keep it up as many years as you'd like. Future gift giving woah solvdd!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My dad isn't married and doesn't hang out with friends much, so for birthdays and Christmas gifts, i always try to find events or places where we can go somewhere together and he always seems to enjoy these gifts. It can take some time and thinking to find venues to go, but if you put enough effort into searching, you'll find things.

My bf's dad is like this and we always go for the somewhat impractical but cutting edge technology gift. Try something like a top of the line digital photo frame or some random wine gadget.

I always think making a basket-type conglomeration gift shows more thought. If he's only kind of into wine, but likes it, go buy a really nice bottle opener, a book on how to pair wines or a wine cookbook, a nice set of glasses - one for white and one for red - and a couple of bottles of wine. Or sign him up for a wine tasting class.

You can convert those ideas to beer-of-the-month and accessories, or food/cooking, or anything like that.

He probably already has one at both home and the cabin, but if not, everyone loves a good grill. Maybe a tripod to put over the fire?

My dad is the same way, he never knows what I should get him. He does collect beer cans and WI beer related stuff, so I got him a buncha stuff from Lake Front. In the past I've gotten him the micro brew variety packs (Lake Front has a great one) for his birthday, and he loved it.

As for fishing, who doesn't love the singing fish you mount on the wall? Even Tony Soprano had one!

That's all I can think of at this time, the latter two being smaller gifts you can combine.

Archived